Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

Re: 1.1.2 is released - Battery Draining

Zeeker wrote:

Has anyone else had this problem? ....

Ever since the 1.1.2 software update (which happened automatically), my battery drains to 10% ever other day.  Even without usage!  (and no my WiFi is not turned on)

If this is the first charge cycle since the update, I wouldn't worry about it until you've seen it through several cycles. Commonly, when doing significant upgrades on Android devices, I've seen it take a full charge-discharge cycle or two for the battery gauge to be accurate. 

I can say that 1.1.2 on two different NST devices has not adversely affected battery life on my devices.

Correspondent
Marty-TX
0 Kudos

kamas716 wrote:

So, we know that 1.1.2 fixed:

Wi-Fi connectivity

Bold (at least on Caecelia)

and MartyTX mentioned on another thread that some of the fonts changed (I'm not sure what the exact changes were though)

Hi kamas716,

I wasn't very clear, sorry.  I was comparing 1.0.1 fonts with 1.1.0 fonts.  Even though most people liked the "crisper, darker" fonts in 1.1.0, I didn't. The font names stayed the same, but they did look different.

So, I rolled back to 1.0.1 which is the version that was on my NST when I bought it.

Marty

New User
spiderhole
0 Kudos

Re: 1.1.2 is released

This update has a SERIOUS BUG. The "Reading Now" link and the "Return-to-reading" button on the upper left hand side of the page now always take you to page ONE of what you're reading. To get back to the correct page, your only option now is to go to the library and access your book from there.

Did no one test this firmware before releasing it?! Am going to try to go back to 1.1.

C'mon B&N, please fix!

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

spiderhole wrote:

This update has a SERIOUS BUG. The "Reading Now" link and the "Return-to-reading" button on the upper left hand side of the page now always take you to page ONE of what you're reading. To get back to the correct page, your only option now is to go to the library and access your book from there.

Did no one test this firmware before releasing it?! Am going to try to go back to 1.1.

C'mon B&N, please fix!

I do not have this problem with the button in the upper left.

The "Reading Now" issue isn't specific to this release, but has been an ongoing problem, I think since release.

Scribe
frantastk
0 Kudos

spiderhole wrote:

C'mon B&N, please fix!

I've not had this problem with either. I don't think I use the "reading now" link very often (I just tried it and it works fine), but I use the button in the upper left all the time. Are you seeing this issue with books downloaded from B&N, sideloaded books, or both? 

I just tried it with a B&N book.

Okay, I just tried it on a sideloaded book for you and that works fine, too.

Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat
0 Kudos

spiderhole wrote:

C'mon B&N, please fix!

I saw this happen the other day with a sideloaded book, but AFAIK it's been an ongoing intermittent issue since the very beginning of the Nook line. I'd link to a discussion in the Issues Reporting forum, but it's offline for now.

Please visit me on Goodreads. Currently reading:
Journey Into Now by Leonard Jacobson
Correspondent
Marty-TX
0 Kudos

spiderhole,

I can't seem to figure out how to properly insert a link, so I'll just paste the URL: (hope it works)

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Simple-Touch-Support/Inconsistency-in-reporting-and-reme...

Don't waste your time rolling back to an older firmware version ... been there, done that, no help!

This is a day-one problem that appears to be beyond B&N's technical capability to fix. 

I'm betting that similar problems will be in the new GlowLight version.  I think of TinkerBell and her magic wand when I hear that name!

Marty

Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat

[ Edited ]

Thanks for that link, Marty. I had forgotten there was also a thread in this forum. If you scroll down to my post at the very end of that thread, you'll find that you can still follow the link to the even more complete discussion on the Issue Reporting forum. (Issue Reporting isn't really offline; it's just gone from the regular hierarchy.)

BTW, you can add a link to a post with the anchor text of your choice. First copy the URL onto your clipboard, then highlight the text in your post that you want to be the active link, then click the little link icon in the editor (eighth from the left) and paste the URL into the Link URL box. The text you've highlighted should automatically get into the Link Text box. Just be sure to paste over the default http:// that appears in the Link URL box, or delete it before you paste. Otherwise you'll get an invalid link because the http:// piece will be duplicated. (This is just one of the extreme stupidities of the Lithium rich text editor. Don't get me started.)

Correspondent
Marty-TX
0 Kudos

Hi Sun_Cat,

I was missing the step: "highlight the text in your post that you want to be the active link", and was getting nowhere fast!

This link should lead to more information about the page numbering problem: Issue Reporting

Thanks for your help.  (If it doesn't work, I'll just blame you :smileywink:)

Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat
0 Kudos

Marty-TX wrote:

Hi Sun_Cat,

I was missing the step: "highlight the text in your post that you want to be the active link", and was getting nowhere fast!

This link should lead to more information about the page numbering problem: Issue Reporting

Thanks for your help.  (If it doesn't work, I'll just blame you :smileywink:)

It works!

Inspired Correspondent
Technologirl
0 Kudos

With mine, on the home page one book

spiderhole wrote:

C'mon B&N, please fix!

showed that I was on p. 1 the whole duration of reading the book, however when I tapped the icon, it took me to the correct page. No other book has done it. That was with the dam 1.1 update.  Haven't seen a recurrence with 1.1.2.

Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat
0 Kudos

Technologirl wrote:

With mine, on the home page one book showed that I was on p. 1 the whole duration of reading the book, however when I tapped the icon, it took me to the correct page. No other book has done it. That was with the dam 1.1 update.  Haven't seen a recurrence with 1.1.2.

This has been typical behavior reported since way back when (before 1.1) for sideloaded books. If you follow the links given above to other threads I think you'll find that one suggested workaround is never to go to the home page, or at least never to tap the currently reading cover on the home page, but rather always to use the little icon in the upper left corner.

It's always been intermittent, and I don't think it's been fixed with 1.1.2. In fact, I've found a new and more insidious variation in 1.1.2 with one sideloaded book: It always forgets my current location, no matter how I return to the book (even from settings). It even forgets bookmarks I've set explicitly.

Correspondent
FulltimeRVer
0 Kudos

Yesterday I received a replacement NST from B&N.  One of the buttons on my old unit was failing.

The replacement NST had Ver. 1.0.1.  Subjectively, it felt less responsive than my old NST, which had been upgraded to 1.1.2 some time ago.  So I took this opportunity to do a test.

With 1.0.1 on the new NST, holding down the page-turn button for 15 seconds advanced me 29 pages.  I tested it several times and got the same results.  Then I installed 1.1.2.  Now, 15 seconds of holding down the page turn button advances 138 or 139 pages every time.

I'm surprised that this 7% improvement is actually noticeable in routine navigation through a book, but it is.

(Of course, the number of pages advanced per minute depends on the font size and other characteristics of the pages, so I tested starting at the same page in the same book with the same font each time.) 

Dave
Correspondent
Marty-TX
0 Kudos

FulltimeRVer wrote:

With 1.0.1 on the new NST, holding down the page-turn button for 15 seconds advanced me 29 pages.  I tested it several times and got the same results.  Then I installed 1.1.2.  Now, 15 seconds of holding down the page turn button advances 138 or 139 pages every time.

I'm surprised that this 7% improvement is actually noticeable in routine navigation through a book, but it is.

Hi RVer,

Interesting test and a good test method. I'm still on 1.0.1, but if I update I'll run the test on my NST.

Your post says "With 1.0.1 on the new NST, holding down the page-turn button for 15 seconds advanced me 29 pages."  Looks like a typo, should be 129 pages, right?

Correspondent
FulltimeRVer
0 Kudos

Oops!

It should have been "29" pages and "38-39" pages.

I started the test from page 100 of the book and ended up on page 129 with Version 1.0.1 or pages 138 or 139 with the new version.

Dave
Contributor
Radikalriky
0 Kudos

I have a Nook Simple Touch that came with software version 1.0.0 that updated to 1.1.0 and lost home WiFi.

My home WiFi is a Westell 7500 Gateway Model: A90-750022-07 modem/WiFi [CenturyLink DSL] for home connectivity. When my Nook fell asleep soon after purchase, it updated itself from 1.0.0 to 1.1.0 my Nook SimpleTouch lost connectivity at home and has remained unconnected.

I have just downloaded version 1.1.2 to my computer and then side-loaded into my Nook ST via USB cable into my Nook ST and it installed fine.

I can report that my WiFi connectivity to my home gateway/modem has returned.

A long time in coming thank you to B&N for finally giving me back my home WiFi.

Distinguished Correspondent
LastSilmaril
0 Kudos

Files 1.1.0/system/lib/libnetutils.so and 1.1.2/system/lib/libnetutils.so differ

That is the key in terms of WiFi connectivity, in case people were wondering.

New User
G30ff
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I have the same thing. My battery went from lasting me about two months with my current usage, to needing a charge every second or third day. I have charged it twice since then update. Still on the second or third day it will not turn on, with a message saying it needs to be charged displayed.

I am going to try a factory reset on it to see if that helps. If not I guess I'd have to warranty it or something.

Contributor
julie0903
0 Kudos

I have been fighting serious battery issues too and am finally went on chat on Saturday.  They had me do a soft reset, but I read about 50 pages since Saturday, and I am down to 85%.  I expect that anyday it will just drop to 0.  I wonder if it has to do with the update, I never thought of that.  I would suggest calling support or using chat.  They were helpful and I have a ticket that we are working on. 

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

julie0903 wrote:

I have been fighting serious battery issues too and am finally went on chat on Saturday.  They had me do a soft reset, but I read about 50 pages since Saturday, and I am down to 85%.  I expect that anyday it will just drop to 0.  I wonder if it has to do with the update, I never thought of that.  I would suggest calling support or using chat.  They were helpful and I have a ticket that we are working on. 

Check your wifi setting. When I updated it re-enabled wifi on me.