Contributor
bdube1
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

1.2.1 update won't install

For 3 days now I have been trying to install update 1.2.1. I have a Nook simple touch and have downloaded the update 6 times, each time deleting the previous version and have always used Windows safely remove hardware when ejecting the Nook. I place the update in the root of the Nook, remove it from my PC, wait for it to sleep and the update never initializes. My battery is at 97%, but I tried plugging it into the charge in case it couldn't read the battery level. I have tried shutting it down and restarting, but that changed nothing. I am still at version 1.1.2.  

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Re: 1.2.1 update won't install

bdube1 wrote:

For 3 days now I have been trying to install update 1.2.1. I have a Nook simple touch and have downloaded the update 6 times, each time deleting the previous version and have always used Windows safely remove hardware when ejecting the Nook. I place the update in the root of the Nook, remove it from my PC, wait for it to sleep and the update never initializes. My battery is at 97%, but I tried plugging it into the charge in case it couldn't read the battery level. I have tried shutting it down and restarting, but that changed nothing. I am still at version 1.1.2.  

You wouldn't by any chance be a UK user?

Other people have posted that the US firmware update file won't work on NOOKs purchased in the UK. There is a different file you need to install.

Contributor
bdube1
0 Kudos

Thanks for the update, but no I am in the USA

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

Ypu have to have a certain amount of memory free to install the update, forget what it is. Check to make sure you have enough memory left.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Contributor
bdube1
0 Kudos

I only have a handfull of books on the device and currently have 120mb free out of 236mb total. Don't know what is required for the install but at over 51% free, I don't know what is required either, but would think that would suffice.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

bdube1 wrote:

I only have a handfull of books on the device and currently have 120mb free out of 236mb total. Don't know what is required for the install but at over 51% free, I don't know what is required either, but would think that would suffice.

The memory you can see on the NST isn't the memory where B&N eBooks download to.  It's the memory for sideloading eBooks.  I'm not positive, but I think the update needs to use the hidden partition memory.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Contributor
bdube1
0 Kudos

Regardless of where B&N stores the update, it still won't install on my Nook and thier support doesn't have a clue either. I have upgraded firmware before. This is a simple process, but I still can't get the installer to initiate on my Nook.

Correspondent
Byteguy

Ok, let's go for "odd but possible" things now....

1) How many B&N books have you bought and loaded?  As mentioned above, that uses a different memory that you can't see but could get in the way if it's low.  If you have a bunch, archive them temporarily.

2) Look, very carefully, at the update file using Windows.  Make SURE you tell it to show you the extension of known file types.  I just drove myself nuts(er) trying to figure out why an "index.html" file wouldn't load until I realized that setting had been turned off and the REAL filename had somehow changed to "index.html.txt" and Windows was hiding the ".txt" part.  Make 100% sure that the file is named "nook_1_2_update.zip" and not really"nook_1_2_update.zip.zip" or "nook_1_2_update.zip.html" or some other crazy thing.  Don't blame B&N too much, Internet Explorer is known for messing with names during a save.

Contributor
bdube1
0 Kudos

As I mentioned above, I have very few books on the device. About 6 total that I have purchased from B&N and I have "0" side loaded. I do have a micro USB card, but the only thing on it is the folder structure created by the Nook. I have tried the update with and without the card inserted. I have upgraded it before, so this isn't my first update, just the first one that failed. I am well aware that the .zip file has to be intact and named nook_1_2_update.zip as you mentioned. I have downloaded and put this file in the root directory 6 times now and each time the same result. I am properly ejecting the Nook before rmoving it from my Windows 7 PC and have used both Firefox and Chrome to download it. File size has been the same number of bytes, regardless of which browser I use. 

Anyway, thanks for your repsonse. I normally download and install all the latest firmware and drivers for devices I have as a matter of wanting to have the latest as they usually include security as well as performance features. The main reason I even started this update was due to a posting on one of the tech blogs that B&N was finally going to put a web browser on this, and although I doubt I would use it, I was wanting to at least try it out. The blog stated that it was due the first of June, so I incorrectly assumed this update had that. At any rate, I will continue to try this occasionaly, but am baffeled as to why it won't auto install on my Nook. The last one did with no problem. I assume it's for DRM purposes but I also don't understand why B&N won't let the user see all of the file system or total memory of the device. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Well, there's no web browser in the version you're trying to install, so if that's what you wanted, then don't worry about installing this one.

The web browser was a rumor, and there's been no update for it, and no announcement as to whether one is coming.

Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

The last one installed with no problem?

When was that?

There has been no recent release of firmware for the NOOK ST and ST/GL, (The June 1st release date was a rumor, no firmware was released).

Is it possible you are already running the latest release?

Contributor
bdube1
0 Kudos

When I first got the Nook about a year ago, I downloaded and installed the latest firmware at the time. I think it was 1.1.2 and that's the version I still have. Or maybe I didn't update anything. Don't remember, but with all  the electronic devices I purchase, the first thing I do is check the vendors website for any updates to the firmware it shipped with, which is why I made the statement that I updated it once before. Even though the battery is at 97%, I also tried it several times plugged in in case it wasn't properly sensing the battery level. 

Contributor
bdube1

Apparently wasting my time was the proper answer. As I mentioned above, I downloaded the .zip file, (each time it had the same name and same number of bytes) deleted the prior file on my Nook and then transferred the new one to the Nook's root directory. As Well as properly ejecting the device from my Windows 7 explorer, as I do with all devices I connect. I did this six times and it wouldn't install, however, on the seventh try, it installed almost immediately. 

Thank you for all of you that did take the time to comment. I am now more confused than ever, but do have an updated Nook.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716

bdube1 wrote:
I am now more confused than ever...

Welcome to the club.  Most of what the regular contributors here know has been found out by trial and error.  In your case, persistence paid off.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716