Inspired Contributor
BassmanMT
0 Kudos

ADE vs Google Play for W7 and Nook (1st edition and HD+)

I have a good grasp of my devices and operating systems but now I am stumped. I have researched and thought I could get this working, but it isn't, so please point me to some resources or where I went wrong. Thanks.

Books that are bought from Google Play: I can read on the Nook HD+ which is a type of Android tablet (ice cream sandwich, lite) and would like to read on the "nonweb, nonapp" Nook first edition e-reader, via "sideload" (need to put the epub on using my USB cable from my W7 computer).

I got into the Google Playstore and downloaded the .acsm files.

I got ADE 2.0.1 installed on the W7 computer, and first I authorized it using no account id and was able to read the books on the W7 system and saw epub files were created.

I plugged in the Nook 1st edition and it showed the device on the left pane of the ADE program on the W7 computer. There is nowhere on the Nook 1st edition to add the ADE account info, but you see ADE is built in, at start up. I figured I would drag to the device to sideload, try to open there, be asked to re-enter the original account and pw as DRM verification, and be done.

After trying unsuccessfully to drag the epub files to the Nook, I reallized my non-userid authorization probably kept me from the function of being able to use other devices. So, I learned about the "Ctl-shift-D" and unauthorized, then reauthorized with an Adobe UserID only used for one thing previously: for old Acrobat Pro on two other computers. No other computers, tablets or devices have ever had ADE until I started this, today.

Then the .acsm stated they didn't match the account. So, I deleted them and I got the .acsm fresh from My Library on Google Books..

When I double-click an .acsm now, I am getting the pop up E_GOOGLE_DEVICE_LIMIT_REACHED.

I thought ADE allows up to three readers and three computers? I can't find that specific support text right now. I either have no other devices for ADE, or I have this third computer that has ever logged into the Adobe Userid. Neither situation should give me that pop up, so did I trip something that only Adobe can reset? Do I uninstall, reinstall?

TIA for guidlance.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Re: ADE vs Google Play for W7 and Nook (1st edition and HD+)

That's nMessage message you get from Adobe when you've exceeded your authorizations.  I've exceeded mine and can't authorize Overdrive on my phone, and it's a completely different message.

A quick google search found this. 

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4576235

Inspired Contributor
BassmanMT
0 Kudos

Whoa! Google Play locked me out? That seems to allow ten devices, which is more devices than we own, total. Interesting. I will send an email and post here with the result. Thanks.

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

I'm not sure this is the same fix for Google books, but if you get the "number of devices exceeded" message for ADE books, you can go to the Adobe Web site and stable around until you find the appropriate online chat support option (desktop products, I think) and work through it with them. I've encountered this thanks to my hobby of trying out new firmware non several devices and forgetting to deregister the device before wiping it. ADE limits you to 6 concurrent devices registrations, at least as of a year ago.

A better option might be to strip the DRM so can can access the books you purchased (licensed, actually) as you see fit, though the legality of doing so varies by jurisdiction.

For use on the NST, you might need to tweak some books using Calibre, but this also requires DRM removal.

Inspired Contributor
BassmanMT
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I don't know anything about NST as I don't own one. I do use Calibre but that wants the epub and not the DRM content, of course. I got an automated reply that the issue had been received by Google but haven't gotten an actual response yet regarding the issue. I did hunt around at Adobe after logging in there to look at the FAQs and some searching, But I never found a Live Chat function. I even posted this same issue there but that has no responses, as opposed to here. At least folks are responding, here. I moderate a forum myself, so I know how hit and miss they can be when they are hosted by a business and not individuals.

Inspired Contributor
BassmanMT
0 Kudos

Update: I never got a response from Google's "online support request" function other than an auto-responder acknowledgement, so I finally forwarded that to the email address. Here is the response:

"Thank you for contacting Google Play Support.

I apologize for the disruption this issue has caused in your reading experience. Please note our engineers have been alerted and they're working to fix this right now.
While I can't provide an exact date as to when it will be fixed, I will email you as soon as I have an update."
bobstro
0 Kudos

BassmanMT wrote:

[...] I did hunt around at Adobe after logging in there to look at the FAQs and some searching, But I never found a Live Chat function.

I just checked the Adobe site, and thgey don't make it easy. I did find the following on their FAQ page:

What is the maximum number of computers and devices that I can activate?

You can activate up to six computers and devices. If you reach the limit, contact Customer Service to reset your activations.

Following that link, I eventually wound up on a page dealing with this specific issue:

Use the following workaround to allow your machine to launch Adobe Digital Editions 1.x. If you received the error "E_ACT_TOO_MANY_ACTIVATIONS or Adobe Activation Request Error 2004," contact us to have the activation count reset.

Clicking that "contact us" link took me to a page with a chat option.

Try that and see if they can fix it for you. You'll need your Adobe account information handy when you start the chat.
Inspired Contributor
BassmanMT
0 Kudos

Thanks, but my message points to Google, not Adobe, as the sender of the error condition. I am still reading on the HD+ and the ASUS, so I can wait a bit to see if Google resolves this. The PC I was using would only be the third Play/ADE device, so I am clearly within the allowed limit.

bobstro
0 Kudos

Keep in mind, the total of 6 is based on registrations, not necessarily devices in use. If you've retired any devices without deregistering first, or have reinstalled apps or firmware, those still count against the 6.

Inspired Contributor
BassmanMT
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
The Asus was the first Google play device. The HD+ was second. Then I wanted to read a play book on the Nook first edition. That meant installation of ADE on the PC and going to Google play so that is #3 play but only #1 for ADE. That registered the PC and the Nook (#2 for ADE devices) but I can't access the book files. I am getting that error. And logging in to Google or Google play doesn't register a device, from what I understand. It is the apps or functions such as ADE that create a device registration. Otherwise, you are just accessing your account. Did I miss anything? Thanks for reviewing it with me.
keriflur
0 Kudos

What version of ADE are you using? If you're on 2.0 or higher, do a google search for 1.7 and install that instead of 2.0. That may fix your issue. 

Inspired Contributor
BassmanMT
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Okay, I am using 2.0 and I found the 1.7.2 download. I'll let you know. I am not getting any update from Google, so I am willing to back up and start from scratch. Thanks.

Meanwhile, I am reading two different books, depending on which Nook I pick up and where I am taking it. PITA.

Inspired Contributor
BassmanMT
0 Kudos

No change. I even started over, created my own Adobe ID and reregistered the computer and the Nook to the new account. I deleted the digital editions folders on the computer and the Nook, which made it possible to reregister both devices.

I can access the .acsm because I can log in to Google, of course.

I keep getting the same error message whether I select it from Play Books and Open it, or download it to the computer and then double-click it.

I have the white pushpin on the HD+ for the book I am reading and the one I am going to read next. Is there a way to use that fact, that they are downloaded to the HD+, and access the file from there, to the computer, either using ADE or just as a file? Then, can I put it on the Nook 1E?

Thanks.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 38 members 397 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: