Contributor
Yogamum
0 Kudos

Adjusting Screen Brightness - Nook Simple Touch

I can't find a setting where I can adjust the screen brightness..... 

Is there one?  I've looked through both manuals, it's mentioned under Reading Tools, but I can't find the instructions.

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone

Re: Adjusting Screen Brightness - Nook Simple Touch

There is no adjustment for brightness on the nook touch. E-ink relies on ambient light just like a regular book.

There is an adjustment for brightness on the original nook but that is for the LCD display below the e-ink screen.

If you have a nook touch and it's manual references a brightness control it is in error. They probably copied sections of the nook color manual to create the nook touch manual. The nook color uses an LCD display.

Frequent Contributor
MikeNC
0 Kudos

eInk screens rely on reflected ambient light, so you need to adjust the external light shining onto the N2E in order to enhance the viewed screen.

In a dim or darkened room, you are basically going to want a reading lamp, just as you would with a paper book.

Reader
Salty
0 Kudos

You read that on page 27? So did I. I am researching which nook to buy. A few weeks ago I downloaded the manuals for all the nooks to help me decide. When information like that is wrong, it does not help a person like me to make a final painless decision.

I read a question like this in another post somewhere here. It is possible that some text was copied off of another manual and put into the simple touch manual by mistake. Well isn't it ironic how a company that sells books, which means they promote reading, has some lazy editing habits. Since I downloaded the manuals a few weeks ago, obviously the text has not been fixed.

tisk tisk tisk

Wordsmith
tmr4
0 Kudos

It doesn't help your situation, but the user guide installed on the NST (at least mine) is different than the one online. That section on page 27 (pg 23 per my NST) ends with "and adjust the display of text". It is apparent that they deleted the portion that discussed adjusting screen brightness because they also deleted the period at the end of the sentence, leaving it to run on into "To call up the Reading Tools menu...".