Contributor
Hipzip14
0 Kudos

Another Frozen Nook Simple Touch...

Alas, I have a frozen Nook Simple Touch. I've had it a year, give or take a few days. Never had any problems. Now its completely frozen on the wake up screen. I press the N button to try to wake it up, nothing. I hold down the power button for 2 seconds, nothing. Hold it down for 30 seconds, nothing. A minute, nothing. 20 seconds, then 5, then 20, then both power button and N button, nothing. Nothing will work. What can I do? Is there anything besides give up and take it in store and buy a new one?

Contributor
Hipzip14
0 Kudos

Re: Another Frozen Nook Simple Touch...

I should also add that when I plug it in to a charger, the light is green. The battery is full, I had it on the charger all night.

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

By "a" charger, I'm understanding that you've already tried using another charger and cable, right? You've tried the obvious things. Blowing out the screen recesses helps if it responds to a press of the "n" key, but yours won't even do that. Any signs of life if you plug it into a computer and let it sit a bit?

New User
jbnook
0 Kudos

I had a problem very similar to this. The battery indicator on my NOOK ST said 100% after weeks and weeks of use. Then one day, it just froze up. I plugged the charger into the NOOK and the screen said, "Your NOOK is starting up ...". The LED on the NOOK was green as though it had a full charge. I could not get the NOOK to do anything else after that.

I am a pretty handy guy and will try to fix almost anything. I searched the internet for things like "how to open a nook simple touch". I found a couple of videos and used them to open up my NOOK. I won't describe everything I tried, but here's what seemed to work. 

I disconnected the battery and plugged the charger into the NOOK. The LED was green. Then, I plugged the battery into the NOOK. The LED went from green to amber (I guess that's the color). The display then said something about my NOOK not having enough power to start up and to wait 15 minutes. That's the good news.

After about 25 minutes, my NOOK started up and showed me a screen that looked like the screen you see when the NOOK is powered up for the very first time. That's the bad news. It looks like my NOOK lost all its memory. The NOOK screens led me through all the start up and registrations screens. It looks like my NOOK lost all its memory including all my bookmarks, highlights, and notes. I was able to synch up with my library so all my books are still out there.

... Kind of a pain, but at least it's "working".

New User
jbnook
0 Kudos

An update to my last post. It looks like my NOOK did not lose its memory. I had to download my books from the cloud, but my bookmarks, notes, and highlights appear to be intact.
luo
New User
luo
0 Kudos

any button can not working . Well maybe I need to buy a kindle.
New User
VVoc
0 Kudos

Frozen Nook Simple Touch - Simple Solution

Nook Simple Touch screen frozen. Please spread the word. This is the solution. The n button or sleep button is easily depressed by the exterior covers or other objects because it is raised up a little. Your Nook Simple Touch can run out of power because the n button is continually depressed, even if you had 50% battery the last time you looked at it. Now your battery is completely empty. Yes, completely empty. Press and hold the on-off button on the back of the Nook Simple Touch with the power cable plugged into the device. While pressing and holding the on-off button, plug in the other end of the power cord into a power socket. Continue to hold the on-off button and in about 5 seconds the power light that had been green will turn orange. When this happens the power light will only stay orange for about 2 seconds. The power light will then turn green again. This entire time you are still holding the on-off button depressed. After the light turns back to green, continue to hold the on-off button for approximately 15 more seconds. Finally, release the on-off button and the power light should turn orange and stay orange. Do not unplug the power cord from the power socket or from the Nook Simple Touch. After a few minutes a message will appear on the screen that says your Nook Simple Touch is charging, and you need to wait until the battery has enough power for you to use it. That´s all. Let the battery charge and you are ready to go. Peace.  Barnes and Noble please publish this. 

Contributor
clamlike
0 Kudos

Re: Frozen Nook Simple Touch - Simple Solution

[ Edited ]
The above instructions about holding the power button while plugging it in has worked for me! This after going into the store, calling customer service, etc to no avail. Please, Barnes and noble, tell your tech support! I should add, I had ordered a new one before I stumbled on this answer and am more than thrilled that my relatively new nook doesn't have to be replaced after all
New User
xfaberryx
0 Kudos

Re: Frozen Nook Simple Touch - Simple Solution

thank you so much! I had just recently purchased a used simple nook touch with glowlight and the baterry kept messing up on me saying that it's at 0% when it was really at 95% or less. My nook was at around %0% or 30% I think and would refuse to charge but is now charging with the light being orange. So again, thanky you!