Contributor
rl3james
0 Kudos

Another "stuck" Nook Simple

Lighty used Nook Simple "stuck" at non-changing screensaver. Tried ALL (except battery removal) suggestions I've read within the various threads here on the topic. Nothing works!

Here is what I have/know;

1. Early NST w/all software updates.
    2. Battery LED shows "Green"
    3. Unit will no longer mount on PC (omap3630 driver needed)
    4. Worked fine until "Lending" exchange

Tried (USB connected/unconnected);

1. 40 second "hard reset"
    2. Simultaneous "Left-Right" page button depress
    3. Other "keypress" combos that I thought might work.

Any new ideas? Short of battery removal which should NOT be a User solution...

Thanks,

Bob

Correspondent
Marty-TX
0 Kudos

Re: Another "stuck" Nook Simple

[ Edited ]

Hi Bob,

Sorry to hear about the stuck NST. The first part of the "left-right" button press routine is to power down. Were you able to do that, or does your Nook refuse to even shut down?  If it does power down, you hold the lower left-right buttons for several seconds during start-up.

Contributor
rl3james
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply.

The NST will not shutdown.

As I mentioned, I tried just about every combination of keypress I could imagine. Including: simultaneous "Left/Right" and back side "Power" buttons for different time periods up to 60 seconds with/without USB power attached and SD card in/out.

Also tried different USB cord, thinking that (as one User posted) that the battery might actually be dead in spite of "green" charged LED being lit and perhaps the cable was somehow faulty.

Nothing works.

I'm relatively tech savvy and don't think I've ever seen a gadget that can't be rebooted via some sort of "hard" shut-down. Very strange AND annoying!

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Ok, the first idea may sound stupid, but have you cleaned your screen recently? More of an issue with the color devices, but it is still a screen (which can get dirty, etc, etc.)  

Did you try the "soft reset" option?  Hold the power button for 20 seconds, release, then hit the power button again for two seconds.  There is another reset option, but I can't find the reference to them now. (Can't remember if it was xda or nookdev site.)

Did you fully charge it? Would be a bummer given the N2E long battery life.  Had a similar issue with an NT; only thing that initially cleared it was when the power drained and the device turned off by itself. (Before I found the reset sequence!)

Good luck!

New User
beazyBC
0 Kudos

Holding the power button for 20 seconds then for another 2 seconds worked for me.  Thank you!  Previous reboot attempts did not work, but for some reason, this did.

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

The only reset I am aware of for the NST is to hold the power button on the back down for 30-40 seconds (do not use the on screen prompt for shutting down).

When powering down this way and the device is in a locked state the display changes to all white opposed to one stating that the "nook is completely turned off."

When the device is in an unlocked state the display does not change. I just turned mine off this way and the Home Screen and "Power down" pop-up are still displayed.

Remember it's a relatively long press on the back Power button to turn the unit back on.  It's been so long since I turned my nook off I forgot and tried to power up with a quick press of the button.

Regarding the charge light; On the original Nook if the battery was low enough that light could be green, red or unlit. You had to plug the unit in to charge and leave it for 3-5 hours before you could power up again. I suspect the NST is the same.

The message about omap 3630 drivers suggests to me a low power state. If I plug my nook in in a powered off state I get the same message initially. The nook requires some amount of battery power as well as what is proviced by the USB port to operate the drive.

If it's in a low enough power state, you cannot turn off a nook that is already off.

Regarding removing the battery; This was an option for the original nook wtih the color LCD on the bottom. None of the later models have user replaceable batteries.

Contributor
rl3james
0 Kudos

Thanks again to all who offered help suggestions.

I have tried the various forms of "reset" and even cleaned the screen. Sadly, nothing works...

I suspect "low battery" and with this in mind I've tried overnight charging several times using different cables and degrees/angles of USB connector insertion into the Nook. I always immediately get the "green" LED but allow the charge to continue for several hours. Still no luck...

This NST is still under 1 year warranty (just barely). Anyone know if refund is an option I can demand? I think this would be my first choice, especially since I paid original $139 price.

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone

rl3james wrote:

This NST is still under 1 year warranty (just barely). Anyone know if refund is an option I can demand? I think this would be my first choice, especially since I paid original $139 price.

It's not an option and I don't know why you would think it might be. That would give you free use of the device for "under 1 year ... (just barely)."

If you want that kind of service on future electronic purchases also purchase a Square Trade extended warranty. Square Trade reserves the option of replacing\repairing the unit or writing a check but I believe most often they write a check. The cost of those contracts are based on current cost of the device. For the nook at that time I think they were $20-30. 

From what you have described it sounds likely your unit failed. Call customer support and arrange for a replacement.

Contributor
rl3james
0 Kudos

gstone wrote:

It's not an option and I don't know why you would think it might be. That would give you free use of the device for "under 1 year ... (just barely)."

From what you have described it sounds likely your unit failed. Call customer support and arrange for a replacement.

You're right regarding the refund, what was I thinking... Guess I'm just spoiled by companies like REI that offer refund or replacement on any product at any time for any reason. No questions asked, don't even need a receipt if purchased as a member.

How about in-store exchange/replacement? Can B&N at least provide that minimal level of Customer Service? Or will I be forced to accommodate their needs, rather than mine as the Customer, and return the NST via mail where I can expect a "refurb" replacement?

Contributor
Gotadimple
0 Kudos

Take it to the store!

Nook STR, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1"
Only got 1 dimple, would have preferred 2!
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Official policy is that you can contact phone CS and they will give you a rapid replacement, i.e. send you a device over expedited shipping, and then you send your device back once you receive the new device.  However, a store may choose to accomodate you.  It's up to the store manager whether or not he/she will do the exchange.  If you go in there with the kind of entitled attitude you're showing in this thread, though, I don't expect they're going to want to help you out.  So, be nice, and understand that if they do replace your device, they're doing you a favor.  They don't owe you anything.

Distinguished Correspondent
msmoonlite
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

Official policy is that you can contact phone CS and they will give you a rapid replacement, i.e. send you a device over expedited shipping, and then you send your device back once you receive the new device.  However, a store may choose to accomodate you.  It's up to the store manager whether or not he/she will do the exchange.  If you go in there with the kind of entitled attitude you're showing in this thread, though, I don't expect they're going to want to help you out.  So, be nice, and understand that if they do replace your device, they're doing you a favor.  They don't owe you anything.

And I thought I was hardcore when it came to returns. LOL!!

In all seriousnes, OP, some stores may be more amenable to exchanging your NST for a new device.

Comparing BN to REI is unfair, REI is the exception, not the rule. I wish I could go to the Apple store (or Best Buy or Target or Walmart) with a year old electronic device and get a brand new one no questions asked.

Contributor
rl3james

[ Edited ]

msmoonlite wrote:

And I thought I was hardcore when it came to returns. LOL!!

In all seriousnes, OP, some stores may be more amenable to exchanging your NST for a new device.

Comparing BN to REI is unfair, REI is the exception, not the rule. I wish I could go to the Apple store (or Best Buy or Target or Walmart) with a year old electronic device and get a brand new one no questions asked.

Frankly, I believe that we as Customers perpetuate the "hardcore" expectations sentiment by accepting less than excellent products and service as status quo. And just wishing won't change things.

I fully realize that no product can be perfect but continuous improvement is entirely possible and exceptional customer service a good place to start toward perfection. Imagine - rather than planned "me too" product quality and always a struggle through antiquated customer service - a company that produces first rate products and goes the extra mile with customer service when the infrequent need does arise. In short, REI should be the rule and not the exception.

What would the cost be to B&N if they did actually refund my money? Sure, a few bucks.Multiplied by the many others with similar problems? Maybe significant dollars. The intangible value invested in loyal customers? Priceless! And better yet, improve the product PLUS offer the stellar service. What a concept...

Anyhow, I apologize for taking this thread off-topic. I will return my NST to local store, not so much for product replacement itself but more to see how B&N responds and help me determine if I want another Nook. I also firmly believe that constructive feedback is critical to the improvement cycle and will share my experiences, good or bad, online and with B&N. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

So, what you're saying is, "I could have known the policy upfront, but I don't care what it is, and I'm going to judge them based on whether or not they give me special dispensation for feeling entitled?"

Didn't I just rant about this kind of attitude in another thread?  Oh, yeah, I did.

Those people in the store you're going to, they're real people, with real lives and other things going on than your problem.  Remember that when you go in and "test" them.

Correspondent
Byteguy

rl3james wrote:
Frankly, I believe that we as Customers perpetuate the "hardcore" expectations sentiment by accepting less than excellent products and service as status quo. And just wishing won't change things....

We perputate it by demanding cut-prices.  The Nook ST was $139 a year ago.  It's now $99 or even $79 (on sale) and the only difference is the missing wall-plug.

REI is able to do what they do because they charge a premium (I know, I shop there plenty)  They don't try to compete directly with Big 5 or other sporting-good discounters so they can afford to use some of that profit to replace and refund.

B&N doesn't have that luxury.  Their customers demand they compete with Amazon on price.  Lower prices have to be made up somewhere  Amazon has decided to lose a lot of money on the sale of their readers in the hope that you'll pay year-after-year-after-year for a Prime membership and purchase their locked-in content.

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

Byteguy wrote:
 We perputate it by demanding cut-prices.   

I believe that is the whole concept behind competition. Provide consumers with the lowest cost. Don't blame the players blame the system if you want.

The best you can argue is that the majority of consumers either place no value or little value on the level of warranty service being discussed in this thread. If there were sufficent demand for this level of warranty service someone would offer it... Oh that's right 3rd party companies already offer extended\enhanced warranties on just about anything you want all you have to do is pay for it. :smileywink:

Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

Gstone, I actually agree with you.

Competition used to be "best VALUE for price" and value meant more than just how much it cost.  I used to buy tons of stuff from Eddie Bauer and Land's End (and still do from REI) because I knew it would last and any problems would be dealt with.

But, now that too many companies can only make people pay attention by dropping the price they can't afford to charge more and include extra "service."

B&N clearly didn't feel they could keep the NST at $139 and tell people "but, you can come into our STORES and get help right away" once the Kindle Touch came out at $99.  It's sad.

As much as I hate the Agency Model... it's going to be a blood-bath once it's dismantled and Amazon can lose money on ebooks for a year while they drive everyone else out of business.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

gstone wrote:

I believe that is the whole concept behind competition. Provide consumers with the lowest cost. Don't blame the players blame the system if you want.

I think that's what we have turned competition into.

Competition used to be "provide consumers with products, service and value such that they are loyal and at prices where we can make a profit."  Now it's "sell crap, just sell it for less money than everybody else sells it."

I rarely say this, but I wish we could go back to the way it used to be...  :smileytongue:  I'm entirely willing to pay good money for things - I'd just like to spend it on a good product.

Contributor
rl3james
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

So, what you're saying is, "I could have known the policy upfront, but I don't care what it is, and I'm going to judge them based on whether or not they give me special dispensation for feeling entitled?"

Didn't I just rant about this kind of attitude in another thread?  Oh, yeah, I did.

Those people in the store you're going to, they're real people, with real lives and other things going on than your problem.  Remember that when you go in and "test" them.

I absolutely, positively feel entitled to receiving a product that works. My $139 NST failed less than 12 months into it's life. And although I accept technological obsolescence as a risk I will not quietly suffer product quality with high failure rates designed/built-in.  So what I'm saying is; Produce a reliable product and exceptional customer service will be less necessary. And until manufacturer;s reach that goal for the products I purchase they will get constructive feedback from me to help them understand some people expect better.

I realize the B&N store based Nook sales staff are real people and will extend them every courtesy. However, in that moment, whoever I talk with about this NST failure, is paid by, and represents, B&N customer service. And in fact, my warranty claim is a test of B&N and the empowerment of Nook store people to properly provide customer satisfaction relative to a defective product..

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

gstone wrote:

I think that's what we have turned competition into.

Competition used to be "provide consumers with products, service and value such that they are loyal and at prices where we can make a profit."  Now it's "sell crap, just sell it for less money than everybody else sells it."

I rarely say this, but I wish we could go back to the way it used to be...  :smileytongue:  I'm entirely willing to pay good money for things - I'd just like to spend it on a good product.

Companies don't try to make a profit they try to maximize profits.

Brand loyalty is is the antithesis of competition. It's something companies strive for to minimize competiton so they can demand higher prices for their products. 

Quality assurance is a part of the cost of production. It's just another aspect of production costs that are under constant pressure to minimize in order to maximize profits.

In the good old days a lot of what is available now was not available. The products\technology just didn't exist and they were no where near as complex as what is being offered now. The greater the complexity the greater the number of potetntial failure points.