Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

Re: BEWARE NOOK BUYERS!!

nlstein wrote:
Just for the record, I quit. I can no longer stand the bickering, name calling and innuendo. The customer satisfaction surveys I mentioned, and others, tell the story. A company doesn't become the largest without producing great product. Customers will stop buying the products at any price if they aren't good. There are many computer companies that no longer exist which proves the point IMO. Notice that Apple changed its name from Apple Computer to Apple, Inc. some time ago because they are focusing on many thing that don't fit into the narrow "computer" field. With over $90 Billion dollars in cash they must be doing something right. If there are other companies anyone here can name that are more successful please name them. For me, I equate quality with success. Bye.

So then, continuing your train of logic, Exxon-Mobil became the largest because they produce a great product?  We would stop buying their product at any price if it wasn't good?  We enjoy paying almost $4 per gallon for the company's gasoline because it is so good?  Name changes should be significant to consumers because they, somehow, relate to the overall quality of a company's products and services?  It would be really unusual to find a monopoly with more cash available than it can use? 

The question arises: What planet are you from?

Distinguished Correspondent
nlstein
0 Kudos

The real question is... when are people here going to become civil? If you don't agree that's fine, but insinuating that I'm from some other planet because I see things differently than you is just rude.

Exxon makes a good gas just like most others but we, by the definitions written here shouldn't buy anything from them because they are the bad guy (I'm still not sure which gas is okay to buy). If it were better maybe we would buy it over other brands - maybe not.

Apple is not a monopoly so I don't understand your reasoning there.

I don't recall saying that the Apple name change meant anything other than they changed their name - not because their products were better. Maybe you can point that part of my sentence out - maybe not.

There, I said what I wanted to and I don't think I insulted anyone.

MacBoy
Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

nlstein wrote:

The real question is... when are people here going to become civil? If you don't agree that's fine, but insinuating that I'm from some other planet because I see things differently than you is just rude.

Exxon makes a good gas just like most others but we, by the definitions written here shouldn't buy anything from them because they are the bad guy (I'm still not sure which gas is okay to buy). If it were better maybe we would buy it over other brands - maybe not.

Apple is not a monopoly so I don't understand your reasoning there.

I don't recall saying that the Apple name change meant anything other than they changed their name - not because their products were better. Maybe you can point that part of my sentence out - maybe not.

There, I said what I wanted to and I don't think I insulted anyone.

Let's see now.  If most of the gasoline flows through the same pipelines, how might it be possible for any brand to be "better" than any other brand?  Gasoline is "fungible," is it not?

Do your homework.  Apple is, indeed, a monopoly.  We cannot, legally, purchase an apple computer, then run the Windows or Linux operating systems on it.  We cannot, legally, obtain a copy of Max OS X and run it on an IBM PC-compatible (x86) that we purchase from a source other than one authorized by Apple.  Even though such hacked machines (aptly named "Hackintosh" computers) are available to those willing to break the law, Apple has been successful in prosecuting the producers of Hackintosh machines.  Finally, we cannot, legally, purchase Apple-compatible computers from any source other than Apple and its established channels of distribution. 

Well, when you pointed out that Apple had changed its name, you obviously did so for a reason.  If that factoid was totally irrelevant to the discussion, why did you introduce it? 

Good for you for not insulting anyone!  :smileyhappy:

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

Sun_Cat wrote:

deesy58 wrote:

If it is a specific Operating System (OS), such as Snow Leopard, or Lion, that you wish to use, you have only a single choice: Apple Computer.  Those OS's are designed to be run on Apple hardware, only, and Apple hardware is designed to run only versions of Apple's OS.  No other combinations are available, AFAIK.

I'll just offer a small expansion to your knowledge base, then. :cathappy:

The hybrid of generic PC hardware running an official bought-and-paid-for Apple OS is usually referred to as a Hackintosh. Google that term and you'll find plenty of references. Here are a couple of examples from reputable sources:

I followed your advice and did a little research.  I learned that Apple was able to successfully prosecute litigation against a producer of Hackintosh computers.  I should clarify my comment to read: " No other legal combinations are available, AFAIK."  :smileyindifferent:

Thanks for the information.  Of course, given the opportunity, somebody will try to hack almost anything:smileytongue:

Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat
0 Kudos

deesy58 wrote:
I followed your advice and did a little research.  I learned that Apple was able to successfully prosecute litigation against a producer of Hackintosh computers.  I should clarify my comment to read: " No other legal combinations are available, AFAIK."  :smileyindifferent:

Thanks for the information.  Of course, given the opportunity, somebody will try to hack almost anything:smileytongue:

Right. Building a Hackintosh for one's own use almost certainly violates the OSX license agreement. But I expect that Apple would only bother to prosecute someone who was selling the things.

Please visit me on Goodreads. Currently reading:
Journey Into Now by Leonard Jacobson
nlstein
0 Kudos

Since this discussion has nothing to do with my using my Nook and since everyone here seems hell bent on trashing everything I say I will just leave this thread. I'm sure everyone will be happy and I will have more time for more important things. It was fun for a while but when it became apparent that most (not all) just can't stand any discussion that disagrees with theirs or mentions Apple it stopped being fun. It also stopped being fun when certain people decided it was fun for them to make fun of me so.... Bye. I'll read other threads that apply to what I want to know and are less offensive. Don't bother replying to me as I will not be reading this thread. And, to those who I am sure will feel the need to talk about me when I'm gone, have a good time. I'm sure it will prove your intelligence.
MacBoy
Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

Sun_Cat wrote:

deesy58 wrote:

Right. Building a Hackintosh for one's own use almost certainly violates the OSX license agreement. But I expect that Apple would only bother to prosecute someone who was selling the things.

Have you seen the news that Intel is about to release their new 22 nm technology, called Ivy Bridge?  It is up to 37% faster than Sandy Bridge and, of course, will be more energy efficient. 

One impetus for techies to make their own Hackintosh and Hackbook computers is the relatively slow speed with which Apple seems to adopt new Intel chip technologies.  Windows and Linux users will almost always be able to enjoy the benefits of new Intel processors for a number of months before it is made available to Apple users.   Apple still used the "Core 2 Duo" for quite some time after Intel announced the I3, I5 and I7 families of processors. 

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58

nlstein wrote:
Since this discussion has nothing to do with my using my Nook and since everyone here seems hell bent on trashing everything I say I will just leave this thread. I'm sure everyone will be happy and I will have more time for more important things. It was fun for a while but when it became apparent that most (not all) just can't stand any discussion that disagrees with theirs or mentions Apple it stopped being fun. It also stopped being fun when certain people decided it was fun for them to make fun of me so.... Bye. I'll read other threads that apply to what I want to know and are less offensive. Don't bother replying to me as I will not be reading this thread. And, to those who I am sure will feel the need to talk about me when I'm gone, have a good time. I'm sure it will prove your intelligence.

Promises, promises!  Haven't you said this before?  :smileyvery-happy:

nlstein
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I just had to check back to see which wise guy would say something. Couldn't resist, could you?

MacBoy
Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro

nlstein wrote:
[...] A company doesn't become the largest without producing great product. Customers will stop buying the products at any price if they aren't good. [...] With over $90 Billion dollars in cash they must be doing something right. If there are other companies anyone here can name that are more successful please name them. For me, I equate quality with success. Bye.

I don't disagree with everything you're saying, but the size of a company has nothing to do with the quality of what it sells. If you want to use that metric, you're making the case that Samsung, Panasonic and IBM produce better products than Apple.

I feel the same way about Apple that I do about B&N: Great hardware. Dopey software.

Doesn't quitting mean not coming back?

nlstein
0 Kudos

Yet another person that couldn't resist dumping on me after I told everyone I was leaving. I just can't help seeing who continues to pile on.
MacBoy
keriflur
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:
I do love Apple's hardware. Put Linux on a Macbook Air and run whatever I still need Windows for on a virtual machine, and I'm happy!

Have you done this?  If so, can you tell me - is there a way to get Windows right-click functionality from the MBA's trackpad?  I'm planning ahead for the day my Vaio-P dies (which hopefully won't be for a few more years) and am considering the small MBA, but I need to be able to run all my Windows software on it and I don't use mice.

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

bobstro wrote:
I do love Apple's hardware. Put Linux on a Macbook Air and run whatever I still need Windows for on a virtual machine, and I'm happy!

Have you done this?  If so, can you tell me - is there a way to get Windows right-click functionality from the MBA's trackpad?  I'm planning ahead for the day my Vaio-P dies (which hopefully won't be for a few more years) and am considering the small MBA, but I need to be able to run all my Windows software on it and I don't use mice.

For what it's worth, I have installed VMWare on a MacBook Pro, then installed Windows XP in the resulting virtual machine.  My son-in-law is able to run all of his Windows apps with no problems, and he uses the trackpad exclusively. 

VMWare is also available for Linux, so I imagine it would work the same way. 

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58

[ Edited ]

nlstein wrote:
Yet another person that couldn't resist dumping on me after I told everyone I was leaving. I just can't help seeing who continues to pile on.

Martyr Complex??   Persecution complex ??  Both??  :smileysurprised:

nlstein
0 Kudos

Just can't let go?
MacBoy
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

That's enough, boys.
Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

bobstro wrote:

I'm no Mac expert, but I think I remember that Cmd-click = right-click.

Please visit me on Goodreads. Currently reading:
Journey Into Now by Leonard Jacobson
bobstro
0 Kudos

nlstein wrote:

last

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

yeah, some people just seem to need to have the last word.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
nlstein
0 Kudos

You are correct and if "bobstro" wouldn't have chimed in I wouldn't be writing this. I don't want the last word, I just want the last word to not appear. It amuses me how some people just can't leave things alone.

Just stop!

MacBoy