New User
RoraBora
0 Kudos

Battery Discharging Quickly

I got my Nook SimpleTouch in December.  At first, the battery lasted for weeks with a fair amount of reading and the Wi-fi turned on.  It's gotten steadily worse over the short time I've had it and now even with wi-fi turned off, it's drained in a couple of days of stand-by or just a few hours of reading. I've asked around and confirmed from friends that this isn't normal.

Is there anything I can do to remedy the issue myself?

If I need to contact support for a replacement/repair, what should I know about that process?

Thanks!

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: Battery Discharging Quickly

It does sound like your battery is failing.  If at all possible, bring your nook into a store for assistance before contacting CS.  They're generally much more helpful in-store.

Correspondent
Byteguy

One last ditch... look at your environment. 

The cover of my daughter's Nook had that tab you push on the back that pushes the power button behind the Nook.  Bumping around in her backpack, that kept getting pushed and she was getting only days on a charge (because it would wake up, do the slide animation, go to sleep, wake up.. repeat).

I filed off the button so it couldn't do that anymore and she's back to a month or more between charges.

New User
RoraBora
0 Kudos

Thanks for the suggestion.  I wondered if maybe a button was getting pressed accidentally, however the cover doesn't put any pressure on the buttons while it's closed.  I can see space between it and all the buttons, front and back.  I also haven't been carrying it with me, just leaving it sitting on a table/counter most of the time.  I think that may have contributed to one instance of a quick discharge when I was carrying it in my backpack, though.

I'll take it in to the store this weekend if I can get over there.  Thankfully, there's one close by.

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

I've had mine about 8 months.

Twice it's had this quick discharge behavior intermittently.

From what I can tell, it's a calibration glitch with the meter, not a battery issue on mine.

If it's intermittent, I'd say it's probably a glitch. (Mine always resets with another charging cycle.)

If it's consistently having a heavy discharge, or even worse, holding less and less charge, I'd lean more towards a bad battery.

Either way, if you're not happy with the performance, I'd contact B&N for a replacement.

Contributor
Kurt149
0 Kudos

Ditto RHWright on the calibration glitch with the meter. Some times I'll check the battery level when I first start reading and it'll be lower than I think it should. Check it again 15 - 30 minutes later and it will have gained 10% or so.

Contributor
Ivebnnooked
0 Kudos

Documentation can be very useful when you take your NST to a store.  I purchased an NST the first of April and, because I was curious, I immediatley began tracking the battery by writing down the battery level each morning.  The first charge lasted three weeks.  Given how much I was using it this seemed to be pretty reasonable.  Then over the next three days the charge went from 100% to 10% with similar usage.  I took these numbers with me when I took the NST to the store.  I naively thought there might be a way to test the battery.  There isn't, but they did accept my figures as indicating a problem and exchanged my NST for a new one.  Now I'm tracking the battery for the new one with so far no indication of a probem (I'm down to 60% after seven days with moderate use). 

The people at the store were very polite and professional in evaluating my situation and reaching the conclusion that an exchange was warranted.