Reader
KC_Red
0 Kudos

Brand new Nook Simple Touch Won't Turn On

I plugged it into the wall and charged it overnight.  The light is green.  I pushed the button on the back and nothing happens.  I hold down the button on the back and nothing happens.

What else can I do?  I guess I have to take it back?

Wordsmith
CraigAZ
0 Kudos

Re: Brand new Nook Simple Touch Won't Turn On

What's showing on the screen right now? Two thought: first try pushing the front Home button and see what happens. Second, hold the button on the back for a longer period of time. Does anything happen in the first 20-30 seconds?
Reader
KC_Red
0 Kudos

Has the 'charge first and use button on back to turn on' message. Front button does nothing and holding button on back does nothing.
Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat
0 Kudos

When I first got my NST I found that truly engaging the button on the back was sometimes a hit-or-miss proposition. I mean that I thought I was pushing it or holding it, but I wasn't quite getting the sweet spot that causes it to function.

Try pushing or holding a different spot on the (rather large) button. On mine, I've learned that the bottom of the button (away from the top edge of the device) tends to be more reliable than the top. I don't have to think about it any more, but I sure did at first. Try a few different spots and different angles. I hope you find one that works for you.

Please visit me on Goodreads. Currently reading:
Journey Into Now by Leonard Jacobson
New User
skutti
0 Kudos

My Nook is doing the same thing, and I don't know how to fix it. I tried googling the problem, reading faqs, and calling customer service. They didn't know what was going on as well...
Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

Skutti,

Tell us EXACTLY what's going on, what you've done, and what the result has been.

Things like...

What is the nook showing on its screen?

What happens when you plug the power cable in?  (lights go on?  what color?)

Have you tried different power cables?

Have you cleaned the edges of the screen by blowing in the gap?

If you give us details, we'll try and help you.

Of course, there's ALWAYS the chance that it has died and there's nothing you can do about that except buy a new one (if it's older) or ask for a warranty replacement (if it's new-ish).

New User
ThomasPL
0 Kudos

Hi,

In my case, I have a new nook simple touch. I have been changing it in a wall plug along 4 hours.

The light was green, but it didn't turn on.

My screen is showing "Your Nook's battery charge is too low to power on." with the battery icon frozen.

I have tried diferent power cables.

Thanks in advance.

Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

A green light means the internal circuits agree that the battery is 100% charged (yellow means it's still charging).

If it's new, call and return it.  Something is very wrong with it.

New User
MissTK
0 Kudos

My sister is having the same problem — and we've tried your (CraigAZ) suggestions with no success.  What can be done to turn on the brand new Nook? (This is just a little bit frustrating and disappointing...)

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

Try another charger and cable for at least an hour. Be sure you're pressing the button on the back for one continuous long press of 30 seconds. If you don't see any screen activity, definitely take it in to a store within your refund window! 

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 42 members 327 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: