Reader
momBR
0 Kudos

Can I have multiple Nooks on one account?

Can family members purchase a Nook on my account and would we then be able to share books or would we be forced to use the LendMe feature and have books on separate accounts?

Frequent Contributor
rictx
0 Kudos

Re: Can I have multiple Nooks on one account?

you can have more than 1 nook on a account, just keep in mind each nook can order on the CC

or you can set up 2 or more accounts and side load the books and still share them, will just need to enter the CC number on the second nook the first time you swap a book

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013

You can have multiple NOOKs on one account, but I don't recommend it in most cases. See the link in my signature for information on how to share e-books within a family.

Frequent Contributor
graycyn
0 Kudos

Doug, just wanted to pop in and say thanks for the sharing info within a family. My husband and I both have had our nooks for one month now, and this information was great. Works a treat!

We didn't want to share accounts, because mostly, though not always, our reading tastes are different. This lets us share on the occasions our tastes do overlap.

Nook WiFi, Sony 950, 2 Sony 350s.
Frequent Contributor
beckylola
0 Kudos

Okay, I can see the advantage to having two accounts.  But I have another question about sharing.

If my husband and I share an account with our two nooks, what happens if we are trying to read the same book at different times? 

If I stop reading on page 20, does the book open up for him on page 20?  What if he was only on page 10? 

Can we be reading the same book at the same time, but on different pages/at different speeds?

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

With two separate accounts, it should open up right to where each of you left off. 

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013
0 Kudos

gqb wrote:

With two separate accounts, it should open up right to where each of you left off. 

For right now. One of the big complaints that iPad/iPhone/Android users have is that NOOK is not synchronizing the current page. B&N has said that it's coming.

Frequent Contributor
beckylola
0 Kudos

Thanks for the quick replies!

Contributor
paranoidmother21
0 Kudos

beckylola wrote:

If my husband and I share an account with our two nooks, what happens if we are trying to read the same book at different times? 

If I stop reading on page 20, does the book open up for him on page 20?  What if he was only on page 10? 

Can we be reading the same book at the same time, but on different pages/at different speeds?

@ beckylola - hasn't been a problem for DD and I.  We share the account, and frequently wind up reading the same book at the same time.  It's much easier to do that with two nooks than with one hard copy!  So far, it goes back to my page when I go back, and her nook goes back to her page.

Rebecca

New User
wret
0 Kudos

I am considering purchasing an ereader but one on the things that has held me back is sharing.  I always mail my paper books to my mom, who lives several hundred miles away, for her to read.  I eventually collect them when I visit.  Is there a sharing option that would allow sharing over a distance?

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@wret,

Exclusive LendMe� Technology

NOOK's exclusive LendMe� technology lets you share favorite books with friends. LendMe� books can be lent for up to 14 days. Just choose the book you want to share and send it to your friend's NOOK, computer, or handheld device enabled with NOOK software.

Inspired Contributor
Paginate
0 Kudos

Just keep in mind that not all books are lendable.  If you can lend a book it says so on it's BN.com product page underneath the picture of the book cover.  However, I'm not sure if it says if a book is lendable if you are shopping directly from the nook.

New User
rubecko
0 Kudos

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

wret wrote:

I am considering purchasing an ereader but one on the things that has held me back is sharing.  I always mail my paper books to my mom, who lives several hundred miles away, for her to read.  I eventually collect them when I visit.  Is there a sharing option that would allow sharing over a distance?

Since it's been over a year since your post, I'm guessing you may already have found your answer.  Given the distance involved and the fact that LendMe is pretty restricted, my suggestion would be to use a single account and just deal with the sync issues as they crop up.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
HJo
New User
HJo
0 Kudos

"set up 2 or more accounts and side load the books and still share them, will just need to enter the CC number on the second nook the first time you swap a book"

When you put in the CC number will you get charged again??

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

No, putting the CC into the second Nook is just the code to unlock the books. You won't get charged a second time.
Contributor
1914ww
0 Kudos

I have a NST. My wife has a NST. My daughter has a Nook Tablet. My son is using my old Nook 1st edition. We only have one account and everything seems to work just fine. Everything that anyone in the family buys shows up in everyone's library but I only put stuff I bought on my shelves and it is not too confusing. Also, when I open a book that my wife is reading, it asks if I want to stay at the page I was on on my device or move to the new page. I just click no. You can also download the Nook program/app to your laptop, iPad, or desktop and read a book you have purchased in different places on different platforms. Pro - since almost nothing is lendable, this is the best way to share books Con - you basically have to trust the other person/people with access to your credit card. Good luck deciding what is best for you.
New User
pgal
0 Kudos

Where/what is the link in a signature. I have been clicking trying to find the link to read the advice from Doug_Pardee.  Thanks.

Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

pgal wrote:

Where/what is the link in a signature. I have been clicking trying to find the link to read the advice from Doug_Pardee.  Thanks.

Although Doug has removed his sig links, I believe this is it.

Frequent Contributor
Davan
0 Kudos

One thing to remember about sharing a NOOK account, if you do you will get recomendations based on what you have purchased and read.  If those are inappropriate for the person you will be sharing with (a child for example) you don't want to share if you read "Romance Novels" or the softcore that is available for free by searching 0.00 on bn.com.

The only way around that is by setting up child accounts on the HD or HD+.  eInk and the earlier tablets do not have this function.

Aloha!