New User
squishyKS
0 Kudos

Re: Can't connect to my home wi-fi with my simple touch

I cannot connect either, and I wonder if, in my case, it is because I have an IP address in Mexico.  We have two nooks, one has the 1.0.0 software, and the other has 1.1.0, possibly because the second was updated with a purchase while in the US while the first has been used only for downloading library books.  I talked to the help line, and she suggested that I contact my service provider to make sure they will accept the Wi-Fi MAC address.  But, I use various computers and an iPod Touch with no problems, so I think maybe she's not giving me the right advice.  Any ideas?

Distinguished Correspondent
LastSilmaril
0 Kudos

Nah, I don't think it's worth it. Anyway the problem is with dhcp. If you're still using the original router for dhcp then it is pointless, and making a bridge such that another router handles dhcp assignments is a PITA with verizon, especially if you have FiOS TV...trust me, I've tried it. Compatibility with clients really should not be a bad enough issue to go through that.

LastSilmaril
0 Kudos

squishyKS wrote:

I cannot connect either, and I wonder if, in my case, it is because I have an IP address in Mexico.  We have two nooks, one has the 1.0.0 software, and the other has 1.1.0, possibly because the second was updated with a purchase while in the US while the first has been used only for downloading library books.  I talked to the help line, and she suggested that I contact my service provider to make sure they will accept the Wi-Fi MAC address.  But, I use various computers and an iPod Touch with no problems, so I think maybe she's not giving me the right advice.  Any ideas?

Ugh. What exactly does your Nook say when you attempt to connect? Does it say 'unsuccesful' after maybe a second of trying to connect to your router properly? Because I really don't think this should be an issue. Not being able to buy books from the store because you do not have a US WAN IP is a separate issue entirely from not being able to get a *local* IP lease from your router (regardless of whether that router is connected to the Internet or not).

Guys, customer service these days does not know what from what, and BN is no exception. Don't listen to them.

And yet people as 'any advice' as if the question has not been answered several times over! :smileyhappy: Learn a little bit about IP address assignments. Try to figure out to assign static ip leases in your router to your Nook, because this process, that normally happens automatically, doesn't seem to be working with the Nook 1.1 software library that usually handles this.

New User
pinkgreen

I just started having the same problem. When I frist got my nook last week it was fine but now it keeps telling me its unsuccessful in contecting to my home wifi. I think it has to do with the update, B&N needs to get it together asap

Contributor
patrick0525
0 Kudos

If you have admin router privileges then read:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Simple-Touch-Support/Nook-WiFi-Connection-Issues-amp-Ver...

Future updates will probably done in either four methods.

#1 download the new update as a *.zip to your PC and copy it to the simple touch's root level directory. Then reboot the NOOK. That's how I updated my device to V1.1.0

#2 do a complete total reset, the simple touch will  go back to its default firmware V1.0.0. You will be able to connect to the home wifi, then wait for the new over-the-air (OTA ) firmware to arrive. I am not sure what happens to the books in the 2GB internal memory. A BN tech support member said that's what she did to get it back to V1.0.0 with wifi connection.

#3 DO NOTHING: Some NOOK users said V1.1.0 wifi connects at the BN B&M hotspot. Get the new update there. However, there is a caveat. If BN tech support says that a mandatory complete total reset needs to be done. Your books in the 2GB internal memory of storage could be in jeopardy.

#4 the router is configured for a 'static client IP address', the firmware is at V1.1.0 and the nook has wifi connection. New updates should arrive as normal- OTA!

I hope that helps.

New User
pinkgreen
0 Kudos

I bought my nook simple touch 2 weeks ago and recently started having this problem. It is really becoming a bit annoying because I can only use the wifi when I go to work. I am not all that techno savvy but the update shouldn't have came out and once they noticed that ppl were having issues then they should come out with a solution. None of my other devices have this issue especially not with connectivity
Contributor
jmf56

[ Edited ]

LastSilmaril,

Yes,  I rooted and have also perfomed the fix you found and it indeed fixes the issue.

Thanks for posting the results of your debugging.

JFeole

LastSilmaril
0 Kudos

Glad it work!

New User
Mob2
0 Kudos

Any fixes for the problem with Fios and version 1.1.0  update? Can I reinstall the old version on the Nook and connect with Fios? We have two Nooks.

I received a new Nook for a gift and it works fine with Fios, but it has the old version. We want to use the other Nook we have with version 1.1.0

Inspired Correspondent
Technologirl
0 Kudos

Mob2 wrote:

Any fixes for the problem with Fios and version 1.1.0  update? Can I reinstall the old version on the Nook and connect with Fios? We have two Nooks.

I received a new Nook for a gift and it works fine with Fios, but it has the old version. We want to use the other Nook we have with version 1.1.0

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/forums/forumtopicprintpage/board-id/STReader/message-id/1527/...

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Mob2 wrote:

LastSilmilaril's fix for FiOS Actiontec Routers is far, far simpler than reverting to 1.0 and then never turning the Wifi on.  

New User
spleeLQ
0 Kudos

Hi all!  I just downloaded the update 1.1.2 and it fixed the problem.  I had to download the update to my computer and then transfer it to my Nook, but after the nook installed it, it immediately connected to my WiFi.  I'm so happy! 

Good luck to all!

XIT
New User
XIT
0 Kudos

I jus returned the Nook that I bought (the entry level model 100.00) back to the store.  I tried for a long time to connect to my WiFi.  I spent a long while with tech support and it was obvious that they had no idea how to connect.  The Nook works just fine at the BN store but not here.  We use 2 lap tops off this WiFi.  Any Ideas??

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Could be modem settings, could be the modem itself. You can do a search for all the previous advice given on this subject, as there's lots of it. It's going to be hard to work through the problem without an actual nook in your possession, though. 

New User
landinhome
0 Kudos

Had the same problem and although I don't think this is verizon's problem,  I called verizon tech support and asked (very nicely) for help.  Through remote computer the verizon guy fixed the problem, but it took him several tries and about two hours.  Anyway, it works fine now.  I will say that at first he wasn't familiar with the problem, but I had found the issue discussed on the internet and read him the most knowledgable sounding answer...it was all Greek to me (something about static ip addresses) Anyway, he knew what it was all about and fixed the problem without interfering with my internet connection.  Hope that helps.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

landinhome wrote:

Had the same problem and although I don't think this is verizon's problem,  I called verizon tech support and asked (very nicely) for help.  Through remote computer the verizon guy fixed the problem, but it took him several tries and about two hours.  Anyway, it works fine now.  I will say that at first he wasn't familiar with the problem, but I had found the issue discussed on the internet and read him the most knowledgable sounding answer...it was all Greek to me (something about static ip addresses) Anyway, he knew what it was all about and fixed the problem without interfering with my internet connection.  Hope that helps.

In your case there's a decent chance you're not running the latest software.  There was an issue with the Verizon modems that was subsequently resolved in a later software version, but nooks ship with whatever software version was current when they were manufactured.

So, you may want to check your software version, and if you're not current, charge your device completely, connect the device to wifi, and then put it to sleep (or let it go to sleep on its own).  The current software should download and install automatically.  If that doesn't work, you can follow instructions in the NST help section of the website to sideload the update - if you have any problems with that, check in here for help.

Wordsmith
Melissa19
0 Kudos

The 1.1.2 software update has resolved the connection issues for many of my customers with the NST. ssues be
Melissa19
New User
mollycrack
0 Kudos

It is extremely frustrating to get a christmas gift and not be able to use it due to software problems! I have a book I want to read; and apparently, according to these posts, I have to go to an open wifi location to register my nook before I can use the f****ing thing!
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

[ Edited ]

mollycrack wrote:
It is extremely frustrating to get a christmas gift and not be able to use it due to software problems! I have a book I want to read; and apparently, according to these posts, I have to go to an open wifi location to register my nook before I can use the f****ing thing!

A)  Have you followed the link to the post detailing the very simple, one-click router setting change that fixed this issue for most users?

B)  Have you tried manually installing the v1.2.1 update?

C)  Have you downloaded the book to your computer and dragged/dropped it to your NOOK?

Any of those would probably solve your "problem" and let you read your book.

New User
JustInTimeGW
0 Kudos

The community will be happy to know that this is still an issue and assigning a static IP address fixed the problem between my Nook Simple Touch and Verizon Actiontec router.