Reader 4
Buggurl
0 Kudos

Can't get Simple Touch to eject properly from laptop

I've been using my Simple Touch for 2 months now and have had no previous problems with ejecting the device. 

Yesterday, I loaded some library books via ADE, and when I went to eject the Simple Touch, I kept getting the message that the device was in use.  ADE was shut down, and the Nook drive itself was not open.

After about 30 minutes, I just removed it manually.  This morning, when I went to open one of the books, I got a "user not authorized" error.  I followed the steps in a previous post about deleting the Adobe file from the Nook and re-authorizing it.  I did that, re-loaded the books, and closed ADE properly.

Am still getting the message that the drive is in use...no matter where I try to eject it--from Start menu or from the icon in the system tray.  The only way to get it off was to power down the Nook and then remove it, and I got "user not activated" error again on my downloaded ADE books.

What the heck is going on, and how can I get the Nook to properly eject.  I'm running Windows 7 and never had this issue with the Nook 1E or my Nook HD+ tablet.

Thanks!

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Re: Can't get Simple Touch to eject properly from laptop

[ Edited ]

Buggurl wrote:

I've been using my Simple Touch for 2 months now and have had no previous problems with ejecting the device. 

Yesterday, I loaded some library books via ADE, and when I went to eject the Simple Touch, I kept getting the message that the device was in use.  ADE was shut down, and the Nook drive itself was not open.

After about 30 minutes, I just removed it manually.  This morning, when I went to open one of the books, I got a "user not authorized" error.  I followed the steps in a previous post about deleting the Adobe file from the Nook and re-authorizing it.  I did that, re-loaded the books, and closed ADE properly.

Am still getting the message that the drive is in use...no matter where I try to eject it--from Start menu or from the icon in the system tray.  The only way to get it off was to power down the Nook and then remove it, and I got "user not activated" error again on my downloaded ADE books.

What the heck is going on, and how can I get the Nook to properly eject.  I'm running Windows 7 and never had this issue with the Nook 1E or my Nook HD+ tablet.

Thanks!

You can get this kind of error if anti-virus software is scanning the NOOK.

It's also possible if an indexing service (such as exists in Windows) is scanning the NOOK.

There is usually an option to force disconnect.

Reader 4
Buggurl
0 Kudos

I had no option to force a disconnet; I had to "forcefully disconnect" by removing the USB cable from the Simple Touch.  At least this time, my library books were authorized and I could open them.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

You're closing out of ADE first, right?

Reader 4
Buggurl
0 Kudos

Yes, I closed out of ADE, closed all other programs that were open on my laptop, and still had to remove the USB from the reader without ejecting it.  I've not had this ejection issue with any other hardware that I've connected to the this laptop, so it's weird that it would be happening now.  It did not happen with my old 1E Nook, either.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Buggurl wrote:

Yes, I closed out of ADE, closed all other programs that were open on my laptop, and still had to remove the USB from the reader without ejecting it.  I've not had this ejection issue with any other hardware that I've connected to the this laptop, so it's weird that it would be happening now.  It did not happen with my old 1E Nook, either.

My workaround to this (for other devices, I've never had the problem with my nook) is to shut down the computer with the device still connected.  I'm not sure if the shutdown process gives a proper ejection, but in my experience it appears to.  It's a pain in the butt, for sure, but it works.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 48 members 228 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: