Reader 2
LisaLuB
0 Kudos

Cannot Download Softwear Update

I purchased a Nook Simple Touch. It came with no micoSD card. I have 4 books downloaded: 2 Nook guides and two novels. Battery is 90%. If I look at available memory, I only have 250 MB. I keep getting an error message when I try to install the version 1.4.3 software update. Why doesn't the Nook have the memory for this update built in? Do I need to buy a microSD card first? I am confused. I am having trouble understanding this reader. My husband has a Kindle and does not have the issues I have had with this Nook.

Which microSD card do I buy? Is it the SanDisk Card 32G?

I was having trouble downloading an ebook off B&N. I kept getting a message saying that I already owned this book when I never ever downloaded it before. Read a bit on this Community and someone suggested downloading the latest update and that that may solve the problem. The software version of this new Nook is 1.0.1. So this is when I tried to download the newest update and told I did not have enough memory.

Is there anyone that can help me? I am not good with devices and I am getting really frustrated with the Nook.

:smileyhappy:

Bibliophile
bklvr896

Re: Cannot Download Softwear Update

LisaLuB wrote:

I purchased a Nook Simple Touch. It came with no micoSD card. I have 4 books downloaded: 2 Nook guides and two novels. Battery is 90%. If I look at available memory, I only have 250 MB. I keep getting an error message when I try to install the version 1.4.3 software update. Why doesn't the Nook have the memory for this update built in? Do I need to buy a microSD card first? I am confused. I am having trouble understanding this reader. My husband has a Kindle and does not have the issues I have had with this Nook.

Which microSD card do I buy? Is it the SanDisk Card 32G?

I was having trouble downloading an ebook off B&N. I kept getting a message saying that I already owned this book when I never ever downloaded it before. Read a bit on this Community and someone suggested downloading the latest update and that that may solve the problem. The software version of this new Nook is 1.0.1. So this is when I tried to download the newest update and told I did not have enough memory.

Is there anyone that can help me? I am not good with devices and I am getting really frustrated with the Nook.

:smileyhappy:

What you say as available memory is for sideloaded content.  There is additional memory that you can't see for BN content and for the system software.  

Nb is apparently having server issues which could explain your issues.

Wordsmith
tmr4

Perhaps you are trying to download an update for another nook. The latest update for the NST is 1.2.1.
Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro

Your NST should update on its own. If B&N is having server problems, it might take an extra day or two. You can manually update it, but as you've noted, you do need a MicroSD card inserted to do so. Nearly any size you'll find today is plenty. 4 GB is more than adequate, but I've seen 8 GB sold for less. Buy the cheapest from a reliable brand that you can find. SanDisk is a good choice.
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

I think TMR hit at least part of the problem, if OP is trying to load update 1.4 something, it's for the wrong Nook.  But the server issues could also have been causing a problem.

Inspired Contributor
SirLoyne

"You can manually update it, but as you've noted, you do need a MicroSD card inserted to do so."

This is NOT true. All you need to do is download the firmware, plug in your Nook and drag or copy the zip file to the Nook's root directory.

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

Ah my mistake. I remembered copying the update over, but I thought the size required a MicroSD card. Apologies for any confusion on that count.
Reader 2
LisaLuB
0 Kudos

Yes, I was downloading the wrong file. I'm clueless. I found the correct update, and it was just a matter of dragging and dropping it. Thank you for the correction :smileyhappy:

Reader 2
LisaLuB
0 Kudos

Thank you everyone for all your help, I very much appreciate you taking the time to answer and helping me out :smileyhappy: