Reply
Inspired Correspondent
CyborgQueen
Posts: 187
Registered: ‎02-09-2010
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Cannot Download book from B&N and DRM workflow

I did do a search, but they doesn't seem to solve my issue.  I have two main questions...and I DO apologize that they're long.  I'll break them up. 

 

DRM WORKFLOW - In May, I bought several books,  but I didn't download them right away...and waited until now to download them.  

 

I wanted to clean up my library on Calibre and download all B&N books so I have back up copies of all my books. I hope I am doing them right.  I go to my B&N digital library and click on download, and saved them to a specific folder strictly for B&N purchases.  Then in Calibre, I just add books (and it made copies into my calibre's folders).  On Calibre, it says DRM, cannot be read, blah blah.  Even though I have copies of the files, and suppose if something happens to my Nook or B&N or whatever...can I still read the files on my future Nooks even though there's an DRM on it? I'm assuming YES because it's tied down to my current CC information on B&N. BUT suppose I change my credit card down the road, and I put the back up copy that I bought with an old cc, onto my Nook, will I still be able to open it?   I wanted to know for workflow stuff to make sure that I will have a backup copy and if 5 years down the road, I can still read it on my nook regardless of CC information. 

 

 

CANNOT DOWNLOAD BOOK I BOUGHT -  I bought several books in May 2010. I didn't download them right away. I've forgotten about them for a long while until I saw them in my Digital Library when I was working on making back up copies.   There's no cover, just a gray cover. Clicked on "Download", and no response. I cannot download it.  Checked my NST (1 week old), it's there, I click on download, it's downloaded, but it says, "Cannot open book".   I checked my N1E, and I can read it there fine.   The format says "Nook Book", but has "Google Books" on it as well.

 

I tried archiving/unarchiving from PC. No luck. I tried archiving/unarchving from NST - no luck. I did the same thing for N1E. No luck. It just wouldn't read on my NST. 

 

Am I missing something? I can't even download a backup copy. I got this book for free, and now when I did a search on Nook books, they're not free anymore. Am I SOL or is the format different, and can be read on N1E, but not NST?

 

FWIW, these are the books I'm talking about: The Story of the Champions of the Round Table by Howard Pyle, The Story of King Arthur and His Knights by Howard Pyle, The Magic Egg and other Stories by Frank Stockton, and The Lost World by Arthur Conan Doyle.  I think there's a couple more, but all are the same issue.

 

Thanks!!!

 

Inspired Correspondent
MarkinStLouis
Posts: 190
Registered: ‎10-21-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Cannot Download book from B&N and DRM workflow

On your second issue, you say you have copies of these books on your PC? If so, is the file extension epub or pdb? The original Nook was able to read pdb files, as that was B&N's file format before epub, and they did sell some in that format even after the original Nook came out. Every Nook since the original does not support the pdb format. I'm guessing that the books you are having issues with are in pdb format. Something to check. As far as your first issue: if you are using backup files of your books, you will have to keep track of the credit card number you used when you downloaded that file, or you can redownload a newer copy if you change CCs. As long as B&N supports the epub format, I would think any future Nook product would be able to read your currently downloaded books, as long as you know the CC# that was on file when you downloaded the book.
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
Posts: 6,878
Registered: ‎01-05-2010

Re: Cannot Download book from B&N and DRM workflow

Here's a couple of ideas to ensure you'll still be able to open your books down the road...

 

1a) For the copies of your books that are NOT loaded to Calibre, put them in a file that's named with the last 4 digits of the credit card that you used to download them.  Then if your card changes, you start a new file for that card, so you'll always know which card was used for which files.

 

1b) Create a spreadsheet with the title and/or ISBN of the book and the last 4 digits of the credit card that you used to download it.

 

For both of these you'll obviously have to keep your full card info somewhere, so you know the number if you need to enter it into your nook.

 

2) *Maybe illegal* Install the Calibre plugin that strips DRM from your books on import.  You'll need to remove all your books from Calibre, install the plugin, set up the plugin, and then re-import all the books.  This will make all your books definitively future-proof, as you'll be able to use Calibre to convert the format if the book is in an old format, like .pdb (or if the epub standard changes, or if nook goes away and no other device reads the DRM).

 

Note that Calibre keeps your entire credit card number and name in the settings of the plugin, and it's easily accessible to anyone who uses your computer (or to a hacker who uses your internet connection to gain access to your computer).  If it were me and I were using option 2, I'd import all my books and then remove my data from the settings.

Inspired Correspondent
CyborgQueen
Posts: 187
Registered: ‎02-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Cannot Download book from B&N and DRM workflow

I'm UNABLE to download a copy. The only way I can "read it" is if I read on my N1E. I'm giving it away soon, so it'll be lost forever.  Hence I don't understand why I can't download it.  Perhaps you're right that they're not supporting that anymore, so they don't allow anymore downloads.   Thanks for the point...I figured that's what happened since I "bought" them in 2010.

 

 

I disagree with the fact that I have to keep track of all the CC#'s for the books. From what I've read is that if you downloaded the book, and you lost it for whatever reason and want to redownload a copy from B&N Digital Library, you can because B&N will look at your CURRENT CC information.   That's really ridiculous to have someone keep track of CC# for every book they purchase. 

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
Posts: 3,334
Registered: ‎09-29-2010

Re: Cannot Download book from B&N and DRM workflow


CyborgQueen wrote:

I'm UNABLE to download a copy. The only way I can "read it" is if I read on my N1E. I'm giving it away soon, so it'll be lost forever.  Hence I don't understand why I can't download it.  Perhaps you're right that they're not supporting that anymore, so they don't allow anymore downloads.   Thanks for the point...I figured that's what happened since I "bought" them in 2010.

 

 

I disagree with the fact that I have to keep track of all the CC#'s for the books. From what I've read is that if you downloaded the book, and you lost it for whatever reason and want to redownload a copy from B&N Digital Library, you can because B&N will look at your CURRENT CC information.   That's really ridiculous to have someone keep track of CC# for every book they purchase. 


Since this is an N1E, you can copy your entire B&N Downloads folder to your PC.  Then you have to find the books you're looking for and you will need to know the credit card number when you downloaded.

 

As to keeping your credit card numbers, your point works as long as the books remain in your B&N Library.  However, if for some reason B&N pulls the book from their catalog, and hence from your B&N Library you won't be able to download it.  That's why keriflur suggests keeping track of the credit card numbers.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
Posts: 6,878
Registered: ‎01-05-2010

Re: Cannot Download book from B&N and DRM workflow

Why don't you just check the file format of the book you're having trouble with?  Then you'll know if it's a .pdb.

 

You can do this by connecting your nook to the computer and looking at the book in your download folder on the nook.

 

The reason for backing up your books on a computer is in case B&N loses the ability to sell the book, or the format changes, or something else goes wrong and you can't download the file from the website (the exact problem you're having now).  If that happens, and you already have a backed up copy on your computer, you won't be able to download a new copy with the info from the latest card on file, so you'll need to know the card you used last.

Inspired Correspondent
CyborgQueen
Posts: 187
Registered: ‎02-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Cannot Download book from B&N and DRM workflow


keriflur wrote:

Here's a couple of ideas to ensure you'll still be able to open your books down the road...

 

1a) For the copies of your books that are NOT loaded to Calibre, put them in a file that's named with the last 4 digits of the credit card that you used to download them.  Then if your card changes, you start a new file for that card, so you'll always know which card was used for which files.

 

 



Again, I've read elsewhere that it's not nesscary to keep track of the cc# for every book you bought.  

 

I have no problem if down the road that I have the DRM files..I know what to do if it comes down to it to open the book. *winks*. I do have a problem if I cannot download a book that I bought as a backup copy. 

 

I need more proof that you have to keep track of CC # for every book you bought.  Suppose someone bought 200 books (like me! :-) ), it just seems a little silly. 

 

Basically I'm asking if I do not want to strip the DRM on a book, and I have the back up copy, can I still read it down the road or will it ask me for my current CC number, even though I "might" have used a different CC#? 

 

Hope my question is a bit clearer...lol!

 

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
Posts: 6,878
Registered: ‎01-05-2010

Re: Cannot Download book from B&N and DRM workflow


CyborgQueen wrote:

keriflur wrote:

Here's a couple of ideas to ensure you'll still be able to open your books down the road...

 

1a) For the copies of your books that are NOT loaded to Calibre, put them in a file that's named with the last 4 digits of the credit card that you used to download them.  Then if your card changes, you start a new file for that card, so you'll always know which card was used for which files.

 

 



Again, I've read elsewhere that it's not nesscary to keep track of the cc# for every book you bought.  

 

I have no problem if down the road that I have the DRM files..I know what to do if it comes down to it to open the book. *winks*. I do have a problem if I cannot download a book that I bought as a backup copy. 

 

I need more proof that you have to keep track of CC # for every book you bought.  Suppose someone bought 200 books (like me! :-) ), it just seems a little silly. 

 

Basically I'm asking if I do not want to strip the DRM on a book, and I have the back up copy, can I still read it down the road or will it ask me for my current CC number, even though I "might" have used a different CC#? 

 

Hope my question is a bit clearer...lol!

 

 


Okay, say you bought a book with card A and downloaded it to your nook, and then you changed cards and card B is now your default card on your account, and you want to read the book.  The nook theoretically should still have the info for card A stored in it, but sometimes the nook gets confused or forgets, and may ask you for the card number used when the book was downloaded.

 

If you don't have the info for card A, *and the book is still available for download from B&N*, you can archive the book, sync with B&N, and then unarchive the book, and sync with B&N again to download a new copy of the book.  The new copy of the book will have DRM based on the current card on the account, so you won't need to enter the info for the old card.

 

Now, if the book is not still available for download from B&N, you won't be able to download a fresh copy with updated DRM.  This doesn't happen a lot, but it does happen.  In that case, either you need to know the info for card A, or you can't read the book.  Also, and I'm guessing here, but the logic seems to hold, that if you archived the book before you realized a new copy wasn't available, and you don't have a backup copy on your computer, you're pretty much out of a book.

Inspired Correspondent
CyborgQueen
Posts: 187
Registered: ‎02-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Cannot Download book from B&N and DRM workflow


keriflur wrote:

Why don't you just check the file format of the book you're having trouble with?  Then you'll know if it's a .pdb.

 

You can do this by connecting your nook to the computer and looking at the book in your download folder on the nook.

 

The reason for backing up your books on a computer is in case B&N loses the ability to sell the book, or the format changes, or something else goes wrong and you can't download the file from the website (the exact problem you're having now).  If that happens, and you already have a backed up copy on your computer, you won't be able to download a new copy with the info from the latest card on file, so you'll need to know the card you used last.


Unfortunately, there's no title with it, but I do see some .pdb, so I assume that's the reason.  Thanks for pointing it out. It's not a *huge* deal since they were free when they were on sale. Now I believe they're all under $2, and none of them are "big titles", so it's not the end of the world. If it was $40 ebook, then yeah I'll run around screaming it's a Beta videotapes conspiracy all over again. :-)

 

 


I think the bolded statement is starting to make sense to me now.   If I have the back up copy that I downloaded straight from B&N's site, regardless, will it still ask me to enter the credit card info, even though it's a full file? 

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
Posts: 6,878
Registered: ‎01-05-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Cannot Download book from B&N and DRM workflow


CyborgQueen wrote:

I think the bolded statement is starting to make sense to me now.   If I have the back up copy that I downloaded straight from B&N's site, regardless, will it still ask me to enter the credit card info, even though it's a full file? 


Yes.

Inspired Correspondent
CyborgQueen
Posts: 187
Registered: ‎02-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Cannot Download book from B&N and DRM workflow


keriflur wrote:

CyborgQueen wrote:

keriflur wrote:

Here's a couple of ideas to ensure you'll still be able to open your books down the road...

 

1a) For the copies of your books that are NOT loaded to Calibre, put them in a file that's named with the last 4 digits of the credit card that you used to download them.  Then if your card changes, you start a new file for that card, so you'll always know which card was used for which files.

 

 



Again, I've read elsewhere that it's not nesscary to keep track of the cc# for every book you bought.  

 

I have no problem if down the road that I have the DRM files..I know what to do if it comes down to it to open the book. *winks*. I do have a problem if I cannot download a book that I bought as a backup copy. 

 

I need more proof that you have to keep track of CC # for every book you bought.  Suppose someone bought 200 books (like me! :-) ), it just seems a little silly. 

 

Basically I'm asking if I do not want to strip the DRM on a book, and I have the back up copy, can I still read it down the road or will it ask me for my current CC number, even though I "might" have used a different CC#? 

 

Hope my question is a bit clearer...lol!

 

 


Okay, say you bought a book with card A and downloaded it to your nook, and then you changed cards and card B is now your default card on your account, and you want to read the book.  The nook theoretically should still have the info for card A stored in it, but sometimes the nook gets confused or forgets, and may ask you for the card number used when the book was downloaded.

 

If you don't have the info for card A, *and the book is still available for download from B&N*, you can archive the book, sync with B&N, and then unarchive the book, and sync with B&N again to download a new copy of the book.  The new copy of the book will have DRM based on the current card on the account, so you won't need to enter the info for the old card.

 

Now, if the book is not still available for download from B&N, you won't be able to download a fresh copy with updated DRM.  This doesn't happen a lot, but it does happen.  In that case, either you need to know the info for card A, or you can't read the book.  Also, and I'm guessing here, but the logic seems to hold, that if you archived the book before you realized a new copy wasn't available, and you don't have a backup copy on your computer, you're pretty much out of a book.


CRYSTAL CLEAR!  Now I get it! :-P   I feel like I'm putting my brain into a blender when I try to defy logic...:-) Does that even make sense? LOL!

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
Posts: 6,878
Registered: ‎01-05-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Cannot Download book from B&N and DRM workflow

The file is most likely stored on the nook with the ISBN as the file name (if the file name is a 13-digit number, that's the ISBN).  If you look up the book in B&N's product detail, you can get the ISBN for the currently downloadable copy there, and hopefully it will match one of the files in your nook.  (It might not, if the version currently available from B&N has a different ISBN.)

 

FYI - You can also look up the ISBNs for the files on your nook to see what books they are.  I use Goodreads for this - just enter the ISBN into the search bar and it will bring up the book.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
Posts: 6,878
Registered: ‎01-05-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Cannot Download book from B&N and DRM workflow

Also, some of the free books (and some pay books) don't have DRM, so you could see if you can convert those files from .pdb to .epub in Calibre.  If there's DRM it won't let you, but if there's not DRM, you'll end up with a file that you can read on your N2E.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
Posts: 1,518
Registered: ‎09-28-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Cannot Download book from B&N and DRM workflow


CyborgQueen wrote:

Unfortunately, there's no title with it, but I do see some .pdb, so I assume that's the reason. 

 


Calibre is your friend.  Once you get the files transferred into Calibre from your nook, you are able to edit the metadata.  So, even if the title is still showing just a bunch of numbers, you could rename it and put a cover on it (different from the one it came with).

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716