Contributor
hedwards92
0 Kudos

Chinese characters

I know this has come up in the past, but I haven't seen any posts exactly like this one and most of them are ancient.

Anyways, why is it that the NSTG isn't capable of properly taking embedded Chinese characters and displaying them big without resorting to conversions? I can understand there not being a font in Nook itself, but even in books where the publisher has embedded the appropriate fonts, this is a problem.

I was able to get larger characters by using Calibre to convert my epub into a PDF and select the publisher's default, but it's rather unstable and is liable to show ? boxes.  Assuming that the characters will be resized at all. Plus, if you're not using DRM free epubs, you have to break the law in order to perform the conversion.

Ultimately, this means that the copies of Chinese books that are available here are mostly worthless as you can't really make out all the details, even in simplified characters, that are necessary to really know what character you have.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

Re: Chinese characters

This probably comes down to a cost/benefit analysis on B&N part. How much extra time/money would go into allowing all these extra character sets compared to the extra amount of money they'll see in sales of devices and eBooks. Since B&N doesn't seem to have a large selection of eBooks in languages other than English, and probably not any that utilize non-latin letters, it probably doesn't seem worth the effort to them.
http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Contributor
hedwards92
0 Kudos

I doubt that it has anything to do with cost, Android has built in support for Chinese, and Nook uses a customized Android as its OS, what's more, B&N sells books that use Chinese fonts. Not to mention that the books I'm dealing with have the appropriate fonts built in. If the device can't handle them, then there's something very wrong with the device. This isn't a case of them not having the fonts, this is a case of their device not rendering the existing fonts correctly.

I was able to get it to sort of work in a reduced way, but they shouldn't be selling books that use Chinese characters if the device isn't capable of displaying them in a legible fashion.

Wordsmith
tmr4
0 Kudos

I'm guessing the font in question isn't scalable. I doubt this is a Nook problem but specific to the font embedded in the book.