New User
Bastage
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Confused

I have been downloading books like mad from the barnes and noble nook book section (mostly Free). after almost 300 novels my nook still reads %100 free space.or 239/240mb unused. Calibre sees nothing in the device and windows sais same. Am i to assume that i can download infinate number of books from my nook account at B&N and never run out of space? I have a mem card installed with one book on it and calibre and windows recognizes that book...but nothing of the 300 i have from barnes and noble ? The one on the mem card is the only book i obtained from a 3rd party site.

Thanks, Confused!

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957

Re: Confused

That 240 MB is the space available for what is called "sideloading", copying files directly to your Nook using a USB cable.  The space used for downloading from B&N is hidden, and unfortunately there's no way to know how much free space you have left until you hit the limit.  No, there is not room for an infinite number, and depending on the size of the 300 books you have, you might be approaching the limit.

When you attempt to download a book and it tells you that you don't have room, it will be necessary then to archive some books.  Of course you can then sideload the archived books and load them on your memory card or onto that empty 240 MB.

Correspondent
Byteguy

To give a bit more detail...

You have memory built IN your Nook.  It's divided into 2 parts; Part A is for the system and for books you buy directly from B&N, Part B (about 240MB) is for stuff you push in using Calibre or sideload using ADE or Nook for PC

You can also have a Part C which would be the memory card you add.

Calibre calls Part B the "Device" memory and Part C "Card" memory.

The Nook tells you about Part B when you check memory.

However, NOBODY tells you about Part A until you run out of it.

There is a trick posted here to turn Part A and Part B into one big block, but that probably voids your warranty.  B&N will store whatever books you buy and let you download them when you need them so you don't have to have ALL your books loaded on your Nook at the same time and don't have to worry that you reach a point where you won't be able to buy books anymore.

New User
Bastage
0 Kudos

Exellent! thank you X10
New User
Bastage
0 Kudos

Exellent again...very detailed.
New User
Bastage

I called, emailed and posted on other forums regarding this topic for the last 2 weeks. I come here and get complete well explained answers...KUDOS!