Contributor
jofallon763
0 Kudos

Connected but no Internet

I've had a simple touch which has worked fine with my apple AirPort Extreme router for a year and a half. In the last few days, suddenly it can't connect to the Internet to sync. It worked fine a couple of weeks ago. I powered off and restarted it; forgot and recreated the connections, to no avail. It's got firmware version 1.2.1. My kindle keyboard, nexus 7, and various iPhones are all working fine with the wifi, at a mix of speeds. I can transfer books in with a cable, but I have a magazine subscription that requires wifi. Is something in my nook dead? Do I need a new one? Thanks for any advice!
Distinguished Correspondent
RJR443
0 Kudos

Re: Connected but no Internet

Jofallon, I don't know what's going on, but I'm experiencing the same problem.  There are three Nooks inb my family, and suddenly all three are having this problem. They will connect to the wifi and say that they're connected to the internet, but nothing will load.  I was able to download a bookon Friday the 27th, but when I tried again last week, it refused to work.  I checked the other Nooks and got the same result.

Everything else that's dependent on the wifi is working perfectly well.

Contributor
jofallon763
0 Kudos

I called the 800 nook support number last week, and described the trouble-shooting I'd done (rebooting the device, forgetting the network connection and recreating it). They told me my nook was defective, and since I'm outside the warranty, offered me a reconditioned nook for $40. Now I see they're having a sale on the glow touch (which gets pretty bad reviews from users on bn.com), or $10 off any nook. I wonder if they're over-stocked or coming out with new models in the fall. I'm on my second touch in 18 months anyway. I'm not terribly eager to buy another. But I buy a lot of ebooks from BN.
Frequent Contributor
Calenorn

Are you sure the problem wasn't with B&N's servers?  That has happened before.  Keep trying and see if the problem resolves itself before you invest in a new device. 

RJR443
0 Kudos

Apparently, the problem is with the servers.  I called CS yesterday on an unrelatedmatter and mentioned what was going on.  The rep admitted that their servers were causing them fits and had been for some days.  He told me he thought they had a handle on the problem now and it should be fixed soon if it hadn't been already.  I tried my Nook after I hung up and it worked perfectly.

Contributor
jofallon763
0 Kudos

The simple touch isn't very good at the wireless thing anyway, even with the router in the same room. I did get another one, and it can connect. BN sent me an email that my newly published book was ready for download, and it usually takes 6 hours before I can get it. I download them on the computer and keep them, assuming that I can connect the nook physicallyand copy them by usb. Buying a nook is kind of like a charitable contribution, I suppose. My kindle (or iPad or nexus) never has these issues with amazon.
RJR443
0 Kudos

Very strange.  My Nook downloads a book in a matter of seconds;  it's readable in under 10 seconds, even a long book.  I just downloaded The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, all 1500+ pages.  I was reading it in under a half a minute.  And it works in any room in the house.  As a matter of fact, when I goto our local BN store, my Nook picks up the signal in the parking lot, several hundred feet away.  Go figure.