Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

Re: Defective Nook GlowLight #2

[ Edited ]

I really do like the NSTG.  If mine failed out of warranty I'd cheerfully pick up another.  

One of my units did not have the glow hole but rather an unevenly illuminated screen ("partly cloudy.")

My gf's unit developed a glowhole after 7-8 months of regular but not insane use.  That was in December and we still haven't gotten around to exchanging it - which illustrates the point made by several that even with the glowscreen not working well, it remains a perfectly viable e-ink reader since the light can be turned off. 

That is an accident or on purpose of design that improves it relative to the Amazon product - if the amazon screens are doing this, also, well, you'd need to return them very quickly because the damage would always be visible.  

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Correspondent
FulltimeRVer
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:

So roustabout and the rest of you who have NSTGs, would you say the gain has been worthwhile overall?

I have had three NSTGs develop the light tears, and the lighting still makes it worthwhile.  I have had two previous generations of NOOKs, and not needing to use a separate book light has made a real difference in the pleasure this device gives me.  I read 2-3 books a week. (Retirement is good.)

Dave
Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:

Well, this has been an interesting read. I only just talked myself out of buying an NSTG on impulse this week, and reading this thread, I'm glad I did. Up until doing so, I'd been convinced that the "tear" issue was a problem due to production issues with early units, based on Roust's description. Now Mercury seems to be indicating that failure rates of up to 15% are considered normal by B&N. Apparently, B&N is willing to blame these failures on users, as MG and others are so quick to insinutate "misuse". Isn't it odd that people who have used previous NOOKs with no problem are suddenly unable to use the NSTG properly? This has me convinced that the NSTG is a defective product. If users like Roust are the sorts you think abuse their devices -- he's had multiple failures after all -- then I'm not sure I'm able to use it without "abusing" it. (you know, touching it.)

I'm going to wait for the next glow device, and then only for a few months to see if it's as fragile as the NST apparenlty is. Then again, that little Kobo Mini sitting next to it at B&N is pretty cute.

I was heistant at first. When I mentioned replacing my 1st gen device with a NSTG to family memebrs, I was told "they are awful", "lots of prpblems", etc. I came to the Forums, read all I could find, and in early January took the plunge. I purchased a FourSquare warranty, (which is what paid for this device, since I had it on my old one) and have been happily reading for over a month now. 

Do I worry about it developing a problem? Sure, but that is a concern with any gadget. 

LisaB

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

<snip>

As Ya Ya mentioned the contrast is slightly less than the NST, but it's not very noticable unless you hold the two devices next to each other.  Keeping the light on will all but eliminate that issue if it bothers you.

I keep my light somewhere around 10% if not lower, and I would be hard pressed to think of a situation where even 50% would be required to be able to read to say nothing of 100%.

<snip>

I never had a NST, camne to teh NSTG from a 1st gen NOOK. Contrast is better than that one, IMO, and better still when I leave the light on for day time reading as well. Mine is almoast always on. Love it more than expected!

LisaB

New User
Tsunami767
0 Kudos

Mine did the same thing after 6 months.  Developed a 6mm 'tear' which the lights streams thru. It was not dropped, just developed from normal use. I am pissed!

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Tsunami767 wrote:

Mine did the same thing after 6 months.  Developed a 6mm 'tear' which the lights streams thru. It was not dropped, just developed from normal use. I am pissed!

you are covered under the 1 year warranty for this, just call up CS or go to a BN.  Sure it sucks, but at least they are replacing the defective ones.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
roustabout
0 Kudos

Did the trade last week with the GFs device, and picked up the extended warranty at the same time - I'm not sure if the standard warranty on a replacement is 1 year from replacement or 1 year total coverage, but my impression is that it's a total of 1 year, so we wanted to have the extension dialed in. 

The staff were just fine, obviously a hardware fault, and by going to a BN shop we got a brand new unit rather than a refurb.  That may have been luck of the draw, but it seemed like standard practice at our BN. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

roustabout wrote:

Did the trade last week with the GFs device, and picked up the extended warranty at the same time - I'm not sure if the standard warranty on a replacement is 1 year from replacement or 1 year total coverage, but my impression is that it's a total of 1 year, so we wanted to have the extension dialed in. 

The staff were just fine, obviously a hardware fault, and by going to a BN shop we got a brand new unit rather than a refurb.  That may have been luck of the draw, but it seemed like standard practice at our BN. 

It is luck of the draw, some B&Ns have refurbished NSTGs in, others don't, CS is the same sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

I've also sometimes exchanged a NSTG with holes for a new one if it's close to the 14 day standard return window.  My managers know this, and have approved of it because in their exact words, "It's good customer service".  I'll also be very honest here, my deciding to take that action has very much to do with how I'm approached.  Customers who come in, calmly explain their issue, and ask what can we do will more often get the best, customers who come in and throw a fit and treat me like a servant will generally get a refurb. 

From what I can gather of roustabout I would imagine he would get a new one if I could in anyway justify it. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
New User
Red91
0 Kudos

Hello there adgower!

I know that this is on a completely unrelated note, given the content of this thread.. but might I ask what your sister thought of the Glowlight? I'm a medical student as well, and as I am contemplating purchasing my first e-reader, I would like to know whether it would be a worthwhile investment, especially in the light of the screen issue (I'm also considering a kobo glo or a sony prs t2 you see).

Would very much appreciate your thoughts,

much obliged,

Red.

Contributor
Rhyta
0 Kudos

I posted earlier in the thread with a hole in the screen, it began to run across the screen which was bad to read through when the light was on.  I had purchased the extended warranty so I took it into my local B&N and the sales lady was very nice, I had my original receipt and she came out with a new one in 10 minutes. I realize some have had to return more than one unit so I am keeping my fingers crossed and being even more careful with it.

I think it is a great device and I love reading in bed with the light.  I want to stay with the Nook and see that Paperwhites and now Kobo Glo have similar issues with angry customers complaining.  I guess the tech needs more work and if they release a newer model, I will check into it.  For the money, it has been worth it for me.

Evening, page by page, I hum beneath my quilt. Yu Hsuan-Chi
Reader
Thraka

I'm on device #4 right now. My original device developed the tear in the screen protector causing the light to shine through about 6 months after I had the device. I got two refurbished nooks, both got the tear within a monht of use. I asked for a brand new device instead of a refurbished one and two weeks later, yesterday, the tears showed up again.

I'm done with B&N and I'm going to Amazon or Kobo, the only other options.

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thraka wrote:

I'm on device #4 right now. My original device developed the tear in the screen protector causing the light to shine through about 6 months after I had the device. I got two refurbished nooks, both got the tear within a monht of use. I asked for a brand new device instead of a refurbished one and two weeks later, yesterday, the tears showed up again.

I'm done with B&N and I'm going to Amazon or Kobo, the only other options.

Will you be able to access your BN purchases with  Kobo device?

LisaB

keriflur

Haleakala_LKB wrote:

Will you be able to access your BN purchases with  Kobo device?

LisaB

You can sideload books bought from B&N via ADE.  You won't be able to connect directly to your B&N account the way you can on the nook.