New User
dbaxCA
0 Kudos

Re: Defective Nook GlowLight #2

Mine has a tear also -- that bright shiny spot you see in the upper left is it -- I know, you think that is from the flash in taking the pic -- nope, that is the light coming from behind the screen in the nook window
New User
dbaxCA
0 Kudos

when you see this tear in real life it looks just like a rip in thin fabric and the back light then shines brightly through. It is real bright, I think maybe could cause some eye damage if reading in a dark room??
New User
dbaxCA
0 Kudos

No, two different issues, one is like a small pin hole -- some call this a pixel error, but the one in this topic is just like a horizona rip, or tear, in thin fabric. Believe me, if yours has the rip in it you will see it and you will see the difference big time.
New User
dbaxCA
0 Kudos

So the excuse is that B&N had a small bad production run and a few Glows got the bad screens -- Hum, lets see, several people have reported this problem, from what I can tell, as far back as July of 2012, now in December of 2012 I bought one as a Xmas gift and in Feb of 2013 -- suddenly-- my wife shows me a very bright light shining from her screen -- looks like a tear of rip, and the light is very bright and not something a reader can live with.  Must have been something more than a single batch of defective Glows.  Me thinks B&N is averaging the cost/loss out at the customers expense -- what happens when the warranty runs out?  Some people have reported being on their third replacment - after the warranty then what?

New User
dbaxCA
0 Kudos

That makes perfect sense -- you pay for a brand new unit and it fails so it is only reasonable they would give you one labeled "refurb", after all, who knows where it came from? Makes perfect sense. If my wife did not love this little thing so much I would be getting my money back --period !!
Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch

Who are you talking to?  The only one who has been replying has been yourself.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Correspondent
FulltimeRVer
0 Kudos

No trolling here.  

I am on my third NSTG, and it has the "tear", just like the previous two that B&N replaced.  This last time they told me they were sending me a brand new unit, not a refurb.  It developed the tear after 20 days of use.

The only thing that I do differently than most users is to use the hell out of it.  I read 2-3 books a week.

Dave
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

FulltimeRVer wrote:

No trolling here.  

I am on my third NSTG, and it has the "tear", just like the previous two that B&N replaced.  This last time they told me they were sending me a brand new unit, not a refurb.  It developed the tear after 20 days of use.

The only thing that I do differently than most users is to use the hell out of it.  I read 2-3 books a week.

Odd, though usage shouldn't be a factor.  I've only read on my NSTG and I have never had any tear issues.

I don't know what's causing these issues, but I don't think it's fair to say it's a device wide problem since they aren't as common as the posts here make them seem.  After all there are many people on these forums with NSTGs who haven't seen the issue, and many more who have never looked at the forum.

I would almost suspect it was the care of the product, and I do not mean to point fingers I'm merely speculating based on my observations as to potential causes. 

When you use your NSTG I presume you use the touch screen feature.  Are you applying any force or just genetly touching the screen?  I've seen many people poke their NST/Gs rather hard when really all it takes is a light tap with the pad of your finger.  The screens aren't pressure sensitive unlike other touch screens, notably many Pandigital devices.

I can see where poking the screen like that would in time cause the built in sub screen that distributes the light to break. 

Again I'm just trying to speculate reasons not to assign blame.  Were you talk walk in to my store I'd exchange your NSTG.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

FulltimeRVer wrote:

No trolling here.  

I don't think anyone suggested that you were trolling.

The obvious troll is the poster with seven posts, all in the last four hours, all with the exact same nearly incoherent complaint.

However, your reaction is interseting.  Very interesting. 

Inspired Contributor
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

Being generous -- could they be running down the list of old messages and posting a reply to (almost) each of them?

Baron Wulfraed
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Wulfraed wrote:

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

Being generous -- could they be running down the list of old messages and posting a reply to (almost) each of them?

I had the same thought after asking, it just seems so odd to reply to posts made so long ago and not offer anything new after the first reply. 

It reads as if they replied back to back and yet time passed for them in which they had interactions with the store, building up some agitation.

Though the same guy posted in other threads about the tear issue and managed to keep it to a single short reply.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Wulfraed wrote:

This is probably true, but as the responses are nearly identical and almost impossible to understand, wouldn't once have been enough?!?

Correspondent
FulltimeRVer
0 Kudos

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

FulltimeRVer wrote:

No trolling here.  

Odd, though usage shouldn't be a factor.  I've only read on my NSTG and I have never had any tear issues.

I don't know what's causing these issues, but I don't think it's fair to say it's a device wide problem since they aren't as common as the posts here make them seem.  After all there are many people on these forums with NSTGs who haven't seen the issue, and many more who have never looked at the forum.

I would almost suspect it was the care of the product, and I do not mean to point fingers I'm merely speculating based on my observations as to potential causes. 

When you use your NSTG I presume you use the touch screen feature.  Are you applying any force or just genetly touching the screen?  I've seen many people poke their NST/Gs rather hard when really all it takes is a light tap with the pad of your finger.  The screens aren't pressure sensitive unlike other touch screens, notably many Pandigital devices.

I can see where poking the screen like that would in time cause the built in sub screen that distributes the light to break. 

Again I'm just trying to speculate reasons not to assign blame.  Were you talk walk in to my store I'd exchange your NSTG.

I wholeheartedly agree: If this problem occurred with 10% of the units sold, these boards would be flooded with complaints.  This appears to be an infrequent but not rare defect.

If I thought there were something that I am doing to cause the failure of three units, I'd stop doing it. But I don't treat it roughly, poke it with sticks, or use it as a coaster.  I seldom touch the middle of the screen, which is where the tears have shown up in all three.  

Just the luck of the draw, I guess.

Dave
Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

FulltimeRVer wrote:

No trolling here.  

I suspect this as well.

That one person has the issue with three successive units, and others don't get it at all leads me to think that it is something environmental.

As Mercury_Glitch wrote, but after 30+ years in IT I've learned that when the same person keeps on having the same recurring problem (be it hardware or software), it's time to look at environmental issues (the user being included as part of the environment).

I had the N1E for almost two years and never had the page button crack issue. I gave it to my wife after getting an iPad and she cracked the buttons in less than a month.

bobstro
0 Kudos

LarryOnLI wrote:

[...] That one person has the issue with three successive units, and others don't get it at all leads me to think that it is something environmental.

That doesn't mean it isn't a problem with the device or the design. So long as those users are using the device in accordance with the manufacturer's directions, it shouldn't fail. The fact that so many users get the exact same range of errors, and the fact that it's not readily reproduced on other devices through the same behavior, leads me to believe that there are variations in the devices themselves. When the right mix of user and device meet, you see failures. If it were truly user misuse/abuse, we should be able to reproduce the problem at will on any device.

After all, some people slam on the brakes harder than others, but a car is still expected to stop.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:

LarryOnLI wrote:

[...] That one person has the issue with three successive units, and others don't get it at all leads me to think that it is something environmental.

That doesn't mean it isn't a problem with the device or the design. So long as those users are using the device in accordance with the manufacturer's directions, it shouldn't fail. The fact that so many users get the exact same range of errors, and the fact that it's not readily reproduced on other devices through the same behavior, leads me to believe that there are variations in the devices themselves. When the right mix of user and device meet, you see failures. If it were truly user misuse/abuse, we should be able to reproduce the problem at will on any device.

After all, some people slam on the brakes harder than others, but a car is still expected to stop.

Right, but slam the breaks too much and too hard and yours wear out faster than those who adhere to a more standard breaking pattern.

It's also hard to reproduce because customers as seldom as honest as some of the posters here have been.

"Have you dropped the Nook?"

"Oh, no, I treat it like a baby, I take super good care of it!"

Upon examining the Nook, i.e. glancing at it, the shell is cracked in several places. 

Yes, that's a slight exageration, but I assure you it's happened before and will happen again. 

bobstro
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I believe Roustabout had several devices with screen problems. Surely you're not suggesting he doesn't know how to handle them? I'm sure many are mishandled, but there have been a lot of posts from people who are very competent as well.

Tust me, I know about retail customers. I used to sell hifi to GI's back in the early 1980's. We saw many a blown woofer come in with all sorts of explanations.

As to reproduceability, if it's users poking too hard, should we able to walk up to any demo unit, poke it and see the result? There seems to be a high variability between different devices.

Contributor
Rhyta

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

It's also hard to reproduce because customers as seldom as honest as some of the posters here have been.

"Have you dropped the Nook?"

"Oh, no, I treat it like a baby, I take super good care of it!"

Upon examining the Nook, i.e. glancing at it, the shell is cracked in several places. 

Yes, that's a slight exageration, but I assure you it's happened before and will happen again. 

I think you are being a bit patronizing and intimating that people are being deliberately dishonest.  I read a lot about the nook before I bought one last July and I saw the comments about these "holes" in the screen. I bought the hard cover less than a week after I purchased my NSTG.  I had been very careful, I didn't poke the screen, I used the buttons to change pages.  After 5 months I get a hole in the screen, so I switch the positions of the buttons so I am using it away from the hole and it has begun to crack anyway almost half way across the screen.  I bought the two year warranty so I am going to get it replaced but it does sound like this is a major problem for B&N to fix.  I just would like to get a new one and not go the refurbished route and have more trouble as others have.

Evening, page by page, I hum beneath my quilt. Yu Hsuan-Chi
Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

dbaxCA wrote:
OUCH, I bought on for my wife, Xmas, and here in Feb 2013 same problem -- it looks like a "tear" and it has not been abuse. Funny, they have known about this since July, at least, ???

I've had mine about a month now, read almost daily and having no problems at all. So still appears to be a sporadic issue. 

LisaB