New User
adgower
0 Kudos

Defective Nook GlowLight #2

[ Edited ]

So it all started exactly  2 months ago... I purchased myself a nook with glow light and I thought it was the best e reading product ever, and I still think it's awesome. So I decided to purchase my girlfriend a nook... you know just b/c =) and then my sister got accepted into Med school so I bought her one. I read my nook glow ALMOST everynight and set it on a shelf next to my bed where nothing touches it. One night I pick it up to read and the glowlight is shinning through these horrible looking cracks... So I take my nook back to Target (less than a month) and they give me a full refund just in case I don't want to buy another one. Well I bought another one. Today is 8/3/2012 (Last night was 8/2 FYI). Again it has the horrible light protruding from the nook... =(

I purchased this nook on 6/26/2012 (Target has a return policy of 40 days... so 8/10/2012)

I wish this on no one, and I can't decide if I should buy another one or not. I talked to Steven Parks on the online chat and he was very helpful and told me I should return it and hopefully it gets back to them and they can see what went wrong, but for now here are some pictures of my nook... That I am returning and I haven't decided if I will get another one until I find out this issue has been fixed.

Glowlight turned off. The E paper display looks fine.

Glowlight turned on. The top layer of screen is fine/not scracted/etc and middle layer looks like it has tears causing light to reflect and the e paper looks fine.

Please know that I am not bashing the nook w/glowlight. I love it. It's awsome. It is still the best e reader.

ALSO for you skepticals. NOTHING has touched the screen besides my fingers when I'm reading. I place it on a shelf where I put nothing else that could possible smash the screen and cause this. This is my second nook. My first one i purchased did this and now this one has done this. If you don't believe me... all I'm trying to do it help out a product that I enjoy.

ALSO purchasing nooks isn't cheap for a college student... So I don't want to buy another and have it break at 41 days and not be able to return it =(

Wordsmith
h2oskierc
0 Kudos

Re: Defective Nook GlowLight #2

What exactly are we looking for in the glowlight picture?  I am not seeing it.  Could you take a picture and overexpose it a little?  Might make the issue show up better in a photo.

New User
adgower
0 Kudos

I'm on my iPhone ATM, but when I get home I will circle it. I thought would be easy to see. If you look at top left of nook screen in second picture you can see a bright spot. That is the mess up spot NOT a flash from a camera. That light spot in top left of nook screen is the crack/light reflecting through
Wordsmith
h2oskierc
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Oh, OK.  So it is more a hole than a crack?  This is a pretty common issue.

I have a small one on mine.  Was there out of the box.  I can only see it at certain angles, and it doesn't bother me enough to have it replaced.

I believe the B&N Warranty is a year long.  I also bought a Square-Trade Warranty for mine and my wife's.  Square-Trade has excellent service.  I made a claim on a tablet and had the money in my PayPal account the same day I shipped the tablet to them.

New User
adgower
0 Kudos

Wow didn't know it was a common issue. Good to know thanks for information. I have returned it to target. I may go for a square trade next round, but I haven't purchased another nook yet
New User
adgower
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Yes kinda like a tear/hole "inside" the screen
Contributor
WideAwake
0 Kudos

I am on #4, so far so good...

Contributor
janjanjan
0 Kudos

I was actually reading a book a couple of days ago when my screen all of a  sudden "sprung a leak" and I also have a small tear or hole from which light shines.  I find it very annoying, but so far we're on a 2 month motorhome trip and I haven't wanted to spend a lot of time dealing with support.  When we get home, I will either take it in to B&N or call support.  My original Nook had a serious problem, and B&N came through with a refurb.  That one was about 8 months old when it happened.  This one is only 2 months old, and I hate the idea of getting a refurb, but it is certainly better than a problem which may well become bigger at some point.

Contributor
Rhyta
0 Kudos

I have the same problem, had my Nook for 5 months and two weeks ago a hole appears.  Mine actually looks like a chip, can't figure out how it happened.  I take care of it and I bought the Nook hard cover to protect it.

From reading these posts, it seems that the replacements are refurbished units?  Why wouldn't they give you a new one?

thanks

Evening, page by page, I hum beneath my quilt. Yu Hsuan-Chi
Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

It's the warranty, the refurbished Nooks have been looked at and tested.  You also get the full year back on them when the swap is made.  

In regards to the tearing issue, it was due to some weirdness in production that has since been fixed.  I've seen the issue a whole one time in the B&N I work in since the NSTG came out.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Rhyta wrote:

I have the same problem, had my Nook for 5 months and two weeks ago a hole appears.  Mine actually looks like a chip, can't figure out how it happened.  I take care of it and I bought the Nook hard cover to protect it.

From reading these posts, it seems that the replacements are refurbished units?  Why wouldn't they give you a new one?

thanks

I purchased a refurbished NST and it has worked perfectly since I got it.  Most warranties the company has the option to give you refurbished or new.  The only way I knew for sure it was refurbished was the sticker on the box.

keriflur
0 Kudos

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

It's the warranty, the refurbished Nooks have been looked at and tested.  You also get the full year back on them when the swap is made.  

In regards to the tearing issue, it was due to some weirdness in production that has since been fixed.  I've seen the issue a whole one time in the B&N I work in since the NSTG came out.

The thing here is that when they give you a refurbished nook, it's possible/likely that the nook you're getting was produced before production change, so the chances of getting another defective nook are higher than if you got a new nook.  There  are people in the forums who've had this issue happen on two or even three nooks - they get a refurb from warranty and a few weeks later there's a tear in it.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

a

keriflur wrote:

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

The thing here is that when they give you a refurbished nook, it's possible/likely that the nook you're getting was produced before production change, so the chances of getting another defective nook are higher than if you got a new nook.  There  are people in the forums who've had this issue happen on two or even three nooks - they get a refurb from warranty and a few weeks later there's a tear in it.

True, and it's rather unfortunate since the refurbished NSTGs should have gone through some testing, and one would have hoped that those responsible could have determined the NSTGs that might go bad by thier SNs. 

It's especially frustrating because there was a long delay in the availability of refurbished NSTGs.  Which made some sense with the delay in getting the brand new ones out.  And it's not like they weren't aware this was an issue.  Well, at least I hope they weren't since it's part of their job to be on top of that sort of thing.

Contributor
Rhyta
0 Kudos

Mercury_Glitch wrote:
a

keriflur wrote:

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

True, and it's rather unfortunate since the refurbished NSTGs should have gone through some testing, and one would have hoped that those responsible could have determined the NSTGs that might go bad by thier SNs. 

It's especially frustrating because there was a long delay in the availability of refurbished NSTGs.  Which made some sense with the delay in getting the brand new ones out.  And it's not like they weren't aware this was an issue.  Well, at least I hope they weren't since it's part of their job to be on top of that sort of thing.

Ok, I bought the extended warranty which covers two years.  Can't I go into the store and exchange this Nook for a new one?  I think that is strange that they want you to take a refurbished one rather than give you a new replacement.  I heard they are going to release a new upgrade to the Glowlight, does anyone know if this is true?   I can read the screen ok since the hole is on the far right side of the screen so I may just wait and see how it goes.  This all makes me very confused...

Evening, page by page, I hum beneath my quilt. Yu Hsuan-Chi
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Rhyta wrote:

Mercury_Glitch wrote:
a

keriflur wrote:

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

Ok, I bought the extended warranty which covers two years.  Can't I go into the store and exchange this Nook for a new one?  I think that is strange that they want you to take a refurbished one rather than give you a new replacement.  I heard they are going to release a new upgrade to the Glowlight, does anyone know if this is true?   I can read the screen ok since the hole is on the far right side of the screen so I may just wait and see how it goes.  This all makes me very confused...

It's actually fairly common for electronic warranties to allow for a refurbished unit to be the replacement.  I know before my store had refurbished NSTGs in we would give new ones out.  Honestly chances are you're getting a device that someone opened, looked at, and said 'I thought this was a tablet'. 

As to a the next version of the NSTG I suspect Spring, as that's when the other two have been released.  However your warranty does not allow for trading in the NSTG for the NSTG2 (for lack of a better name). 

keriflur
0 Kudos

If you take the refurbished device, you will likely get a good one that won't have any problems.  If the tear is bothering you, you should do this, even if you intend to buy a new device in the Spring, because then you'll have the refurb device as a backup.  If the tear is not bothering you, you could go either way.

Personally, I would not exchange my nook if it had a tear that wasn't bothering me.  My NST has developed a couple of small issues that I've chosen not to do anything about because they don't really bother me all that much, and I'd rather have a nook that I know is mostly sound than one that I know very little about.  But that's me.  Lots of forum members have gotten refurbs and been very, very happy with them.

Correspondent
FulltimeRVer
0 Kudos

My first NSTG was replaced with a refurbed unit when the "tear" appeared in its screen.  The same "tear" in the screen developed a week after I had that unit.  They sent me a brand new unit.  This was in October.  A few weeks ago the NEW unit developed the same kind of tear.  We are now in Mexico for a while.  I'll get it replaced when we return to the States.

So in five months I have had three units, two of them new, with the same problem.

Dave
Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

I just got my new NST Glow the other day.Will buy a Square Trade warranty. With a coupon code I will be able to get 2 years with accident coverage it will coast me about $25. That is what I paid for the coverage on the 1st gen NOOK this one is replacing.

With my original NOOK, I purchased the ST warranty based on reccomendations here. After two years the unit worked, overall, but I had been having problems with the power port. You had to wiggle the connector to make sure it was actually charging. That was what I put on the form I filled out to put in a claim on my warranty. My NOOK worked, just not well.

I heard back from ST in less than 10 hours (this was Saturday before Christmas) with a link to a pre-paid shipping label. Because of the holiday, it was Wed, day after Christmas, before I got it sent back. I had a credit in my Inbox by that night. It was for $149, the original purchase price of my first NOOK.

No replacement, no refurb, no questions. Couldn't be happier and reccomend the Square Trade warranty more highly. Look for coupon codes this week, "Like" them on FB and I think you can find one. I have a code for 40% off right now, which will go on my NST Glow.

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

Haleakala_LKB wrote:

I just got my new NST Glow the other day.Will buy a Square Trade warranty. With a coupon code I will be able to get 2 years with accident coverage it will coast me about $25. That is what I paid for the coverage on the 1st gen NOOK this one is replacing.

With my original NOOK, I purchased the ST warranty based on reccomendations here. After two years the unit worked, overall, but I had been having problems with the power port. You had to wiggle the connector to make sure it was actually charging. That was what I put on the form I filled out to put in a claim on my warranty. My NOOK worked, just not well.

I heard back from ST in less than 10 hours (this was Saturday before Christmas) with a link to a pre-paid shipping label. Because of the holiday, it was Wed, day after Christmas, before I got it sent back. I had a credit in my Inbox by that night. It was for $149, the original purchase price of my first NOOK.

No replacement, no refurb, no questions. Couldn't be happier and reccomend the Square Trade warranty more highly. Look for coupon codes this week, "Like" them on FB and I think you can find one. I have a code for 40% off right now, which will go on my NST Glow.

I have been using Sqaure trade for years they are the best. I hope they stay in business forever. 

New User
dbaxCA
0 Kudos

OUCH, I bought on for my wife, Xmas, and here in Feb 2013 same problem -- it looks like a "tear" and it has not been abuse. Funny, they have known about this since July, at least, ???