Inspired Contributor
Charles-R
0 Kudos

Did the 1.1 software update ruin battery life?

I got a simple touch about 3 months ago, and was very happy with the battery life (i.e., going more than a week between recharging, even with *heavy* use.)  

But over the last 3 weeks or so, I've noticed that the battery life, which used to be excellent, has become pretty bad.  I typically lose about 15-20% off the battery life overnight while the device is sleeping, and have to charge every two or three days now.   (Yes, I have WiFi off.)

The only thing that's changed is the OS, which got auto-updated sometime in mid-November.  

Has anybody else noticed a change in battery performance?

Reader
Coolsiggy
0 Kudos

Re: Did the 1.1 software update ruin battery life?

I updated yesterday to 1.1.0 and had problems but so far battery life seems normal. A week back using the older firmware my wife did complain about battery life, so I searched the Web and found a comment regarding long term touch screen pressure may cause battery drain. Example, if you lay the Nook face down on a hard object, the wife is now careful to always place the Nook face up when it's stored. So far the battery life appears normal.

I have done a number of firmware upgrades and on each occasion I've had severe lockup problems, Nook would not start up using touch sliding action. After repeated attempts to restart using a "press top power button, plus page turn side button together the Nook would eventually respond and allow me to access the settings menu. Once I got the settings page and did a deregiste -reset, this was the only way I could get the Nook to respond reliably. Fortunately we always backup our books on PC.

We do not have a BN store anywhere close so we must use DIY.

Inspired Contributor
Charles-R
0 Kudos

Actually, you have reminded me: the first time I had a battery problem was when the Nook autoupdated.

I'd been keeping the Wifi on so that the thing would auto-update; one morning I found that the Nook had the "update in progress" screen on, but it would not update, and it was unresponsive.  I had to charge it for a about 15 minutes, then manually reboot it; then the update went through fine.

I wonder ... I have no idea how long the thing was stuck on trying to do an update; maybe that's what caused the battery to drain, and thus what has wrecked battery performance.

Has anybody else had this problem: a lockup on an auto-update, followed by degraded battery performance?

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

Haven't noticed unusual battery life since 1.1.

But it seems highly variable from user to user. This makes me worry over QA with the original batteries. (Note: my unit is a refurb, so probably a higher % chance of a "good" battery.)