New User
kbooth1973
0 Kudos

Error. Sorry we're having trouble setting up your nook. please shut down and try again

Just bought a nook ST here in the uk and can't get past the registration phase. Charged it for 3 hours, chose English, connected to Wifi (states connected) then ERROR: sorry we're having trouble setting up your nook, please shut down your device and try again. Tried it about 10 times, took it back to the shop and exchaned it for another (and bought another too just in case). Both the new ones have exactly the same problem. W-RBN at the bottom of the screen if that means anything to anyone? Nothing "simple" about these things, perhaps a book is better after all eh?

New User
doogyrev
0 Kudos

Re: Error. Sorry we're having trouble setting up your nook. please shut down and try again

Just bought one today and having the same issue!

Restarted it 5 times and did a reset,but still no good.:mansad:

New User
kbooth1973
0 Kudos

Re: Error. Sorry we're having trouble setting up your nook. please shut down and try again

just had a chat with the tecnical support in the US. Don't bother. basicly said ask someone elce whilst flicking the V's. Contact UK support she said. reading around the forums it seems like they could be blacklisted and the serial numbers need to be on one of their lists, but who knows? will probably have to wait for UK support unless any mod around here knows anything???

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

doogyrev wrote:

Just bought one today and having the same issue!

Restarted it 5 times and did a reset,but still no good.:mansad:

Are you also in the UK?

New User
kbooth1973
0 Kudos

yeah, got them from sainsburys. dont expect to have to go through all this shite just to read a book!

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

kbooth1973 wrote:

just had a chat with the tecnical support in the US. Don't bother. basicly said ask someone elce whilst flicking the V's. Contact UK support she said. reading around the forums it seems like they could be blacklisted and the serial numbers need to be on one of their lists, but who knows? will probably have to wait for UK support unless any mod around here knows anything???

As you've had the same issue with 3 out-of-the-box nooks, I doubt the issue is blacklisting.  There may be something wrong with the registration system.  If there's a tech issue going on, Customer Service won't know - B&N generally keeps them in the dark.

New User
doogyrev
0 Kudos

Yes i'm in the uk,the nook was bought from John Lewis today

New User
hglmasters
0 Kudos

Have also had this problem. I rang the English tech support on Saturday evening and the guy informed me it was a common issue which they knew about and were fixing. He said the issue should be resolved within 48-72 hours (Monday-Tuesday night). Hopefully he was right as I've been desperate to actually use it!
New User
Dafydd
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I have the same issue.

The US based support told me today that the serial number of my device was not yet on their system, they are refering it to B&N and that I should try again in 48 to 72 hours.

New User
jfawad
0 Kudos

Same here, I bought two Nooks from Very arrived on Friday and no look registering them. However, my girlfriend bought one that arrived couple of weeks ago and everything worked fine the same time. So it looks like a temporary thing and hopefully it will be solved soon.

New User
nikkilocke
0 Kudos

I spoke to UK tech support yesterday (0800 279 6665), and they said there was a problem with the servers, which should be fixed by Wednesday 5th June 2013 (they said 24-48 hours).

I tried again this morning, and it was still broken.

It's a bit bad that you can buy a Nook, but you can't use it.

New User
LobesUK
0 Kudos

Hi

I have the same problem. Brought a Nook ST from Argos on Saurday and am unable to register the device.

Hopefully this will be resolved quickly. Alot of Users on Hotdeals UK are also reporting the same issue.

Thanks

New User
thedutchman
0 Kudos

hi, I got mine through argos yesterday and i'm having the same problem. anyone got a resolution yet?
New User
ArmchairCoward
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Reading around a few forums it appears there is a problem with the B&N registration servers (here), but if you skip the registration process you can use the Nook until they fix their problem.  The downside is that the battery will drain slightly quicker (A couple of weeks rather than months) and you can't browse their store.  You can still add files manually in the meantime and then register when the issue is resolved. 

Feeling rather let down by their lack of communication on this one

To skip the registration (Thanks to Ravi), restart the nook, select your language, then hold the top right button and slide your finger from top left to top right.  select the Factory button and then hold the top right button again and tap bottom right of the screen.  Tap the skip oobe button and happy days.

Armchair

Edit: Added Links and a typo or two

New User
thedutchman

I just tried holding the top right button after the language selection and it went straight to registration, it may be a coincidence and the servers have been sorted but this worked for me
New User
ArmchairCoward

Just tried registering mine now and it seems to be working fine.  For anyone who skipped the registration, you can perform a factory reset by powering off the Nook completely (Hold power for 3 seconds) and then turning it back on.  When the screen flashes on, hold down the bottom two page turn keys to prompt the factory reset, then simply press the home button twice.

Thanks for the heads up Thedutchman, that was one heck of a coincidence!

Armchair