Distinguished Correspondent
F14Scott
0 Kudos

Feature request: Disable touch screen.

I'd like to use my NSTGL while lounging in my pool, either on the steps or on my raft recliner.  Both places allow me to read while keeping the nook mostly dry, but my hands get wet and I risk the occasional splash (not fatal) or drop into the pool (fatal).

The NSTGL fits perfectly into a quart sized Zip-Lock bag, and such protection would be perfect for the uses I desire, and I suspect would be great for others at the beach, while camping, etc., but the touch screen inhibits the functionality while inside the bag, as it sometimes doesn't transmit my touches and sometimes transmits spurrious touches.  When I start the unit up inside the bag, either on initial start up or after it falls asleep, I can't reliably swipe the unlock screen, forcing me to unzip the bag and use my wet hands to touch the screen, making the inside of the bag wet and prone to steaming up.  Then, when I'm reading, the bag will contact the screen and turn the page.  

My soulution to solve both issues would be to allow a setting to disable the touch screen once one has opened a book:

1.  When the nook button is depressed for two seconds, a window would pop up with the options

a) GlowLight On

b) Touch Screen Off

c) GlowLight On AND Touch Screen Off

A second two-second depression would offer to revert to normal operation.

Page turns while inside the bag would be accomplished by the hard buttons on the face of the unit.

What do you think?

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

Re: Feature request: Disable touch screen.

There are waterproof covers that you can buy for $10-20 that will work properly with the IR touchscreen and resolve the issues you're having with the ziploc. Check REI.com or Amazon.
Distinguished Correspondent
F14Scott
0 Kudos

I saw that case:

http://www.amazon.com/electronics/dp/B008A73PNE

However, it uses felt spacers to keep the plastic off the touch screen, a situation I suspect will work only marginally well.  It also costs $25.

I'd rather have a software solution and a $0.10 baggie.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

F14Scott wrote:

I saw that case:

However, it uses felt spacers to keep the plastic off the touch screen, a situation I suspect will work only marginally well.  It also costs $25.

So, you'd rather have someone else spend money fixing your problem than to spend your money on someone elses solution?

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

The chances of ever geting an option like this are pretty darn small.

B&N would end up getting call after call from people that turned off their touchscreen and either forgot they did or can't remember how to get it back on.

After all, B&N felt they had to add "Touch the n button to wake up your Nook" on EVERY sleep-screen (not just their stock ones).  I would expect they would have to add "The touch-screen is OFF, hold down the n buttonfor 2 seconds to turn it back on" on every page that you're reading to avoid some of the calls (they would still get plenty from people that wouldn't notice it or would say they thought that text was part of the book they were reading).

I'm not saying it's a bad idea (there have been a few times I wish I could do this) but it's just not going to happen.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Byteguy wrote:

The chances of ever geting an option like this are pretty darn small.

B&N would end up getting call after call from people that turned off their touchscreen and either forgot they did or can't remember how to get it back on.

After all, B&N felt they had to add "Touch the n button to wake up your Nook" on EVERY sleep-screen (not just their stock ones).  I would expect they would have to add "The touch-screen is OFF, hold down the n buttonfor 2 seconds to turn it back on" on every page that you're reading to avoid some of the calls (they would still get plenty from people that wouldn't notice it or would say they thought that text was part of the book they were reading).

I'm not saying it's a bad idea (there have been a few times I wish I could do this) but it's just not going to happen.

They would also need to change the name of the device to Nook Simple, Touch Optional.  The whole draw of the NST is the touch screen. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Frequent Contributor
rbrenart
0 Kudos

I asked for this request for an entirely different reason when the NST first came out. When I'm reading dry factual content I like to speed read. In order to speed read I "follow my finger". Doing that with the touch screen on doesn't work so well.

Personally I think it'd be a great addition, the NST has great hardware buttons. I like the touch screen, but sometimes it's just not appropriate. I'm willing to guess other people would find more uses too.

Inspired Wordsmith
LectorGS
0 Kudos

I have never seen a request of this nature in the Kindle forums.  Only in these.

Lector GS
keriflur
0 Kudos

F14Scott wrote:

I saw that case:

I said there were covers, not one cover.  Jeez, is this how you research things?  No wonder you're using a baggies.

You can keep asking B&N for a software solution, but to be realistic, you're not likely to get it.  Or you can keep looking at covers until you find a solution that's better for you.  Or heck, come up with a better solution and market it.  Your choice.