Frequent Contributor
Dinerfiend
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Getting Books onto Your NST Glow

[ Edited ]

Can you download  books not purchased from B&N (i.e., free ones from Project Gutenberg) directly onto a NST? Or do you have to first download to a computer and then sync up using a USB cord (I believe the term is "sideloading")?

Thanks!

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

Re: Getting Books onto Your NST Glow

You need to sideload.

Inspired Contributor
SirLoyne
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The book needs to be on your computer first.

Once you have the book on your computer the first thing you should do is get a program called Calibre. It will help you mange your ebook collection. Once that's installed run it, add the book you want to add to your Nook to the library, plug your Nook in and once Calibre recognizes it highlight the book you want to add and click "Send To Device". It sounds like a lot of steps, but once you do it, it goes pretty quick.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

SirLoyne wrote:

The book needs to be on your computer first.

Once you have the book on your computer the first thing you should do is get a program called Calibre. It will help you mange your ebook collection. Once that's installed run it, add the book you want to add to your Nook to the library, plug your Nook in and once Calibre recognizes it highlight the book you want to add and click "Send To Device". It sounds like a lot of steps, but once you do it, it goes pretty quick.

You do not need to use calibre. You can drag and drop the books onto the nook.

Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

keriflur wrote:

You do not need to use calibre. You can drag and drop the books onto the nook.

That's absolutely true.  But, if the OP is going to use a lot of sideloaded books, Calibre will do a lot to help them clean up and manage their collection.

I like to read series of books.  Calibre will make an index "book" of its library and put it on the Nook.  Now, it's easy for me to finish "Chessmen of Mars" and see that the next one is "Master Mind of Mars".

Plus, Calibre will add covers and fix the epub so it's 100% compatible with the Nook (and solve that nasty "no cover" issue).

It's definitely NOT needed to sideload; but it's worth learning if you're going to deal with a lot of books.

Frequent Contributor
Joydeck
0 Kudos

I have all my ebooks backed up, on my PC, in a Windows folder structure of my choosing.  I use the freeware FreeFileSync to mirror this ebook folder, with its many subfolders, onto the Nook.  I only use Calibre to convert files the Nook can't read.

Incidentally, since rooting my Nook six months ago with NookManager, I can happily read Word doc files, txt files, and almost any pdf.  It's wonderful.