Contributor
lillybug74
0 Kudos

Getting epub books to my nook, HELP PLEASE!

I have read and re-read and tried all the directions listed in the threads. IT'S NOT WORKING!

I have d/l some books in the epub format. I have done as instructed and opened them in ADE.

ADE has authorized my computer. When I d/l them, they show up in ADE, ready to read. But they're not in the libray.

When I open Nook for PC, they're not in "my stuff" to transfer to my nook.

What am I doing wrong?

I have deleted the files as instructed.

HELP, this is so frustrating!

Thanks

Lill

Distinguished Correspondent
msmoonlite

Re: Getting epub books to my nook, HELP PLEASE!

I have both ADE and Calibre. I'll tell you how I do it for both. I think ADE is a great program, but I have found it easier to download books to my nook from Calibre (which is a free program btw).

ADE: Open the program. Then plug in your nook. Make sure that ADE is authrized for your nook (if it is it will already appear as nook on the bottom left hand of the program screen if not you will get a pop up so just click on authorize). Then once the nook appears as connected drag and drop your epub books until you see the tiny green plus sign hovering over the nook. Then drop it in.

Calibre: Open the program. Connect your nook. HIghlight the books that you want to download (ctrl left click) then go to then menu bar. Click load to device, and your nook should appear on the screen. Click the nook and done.

I hope this helps.

Contributor
lillybug74
0 Kudos

My nook doesn't show up, even though I've authorized it and the books don't show up in ADE, even though I've d/l and opened them as instructed.

Contributor
lillybug74
0 Kudos

ok, got the nook to show up, but when I d/l into ADE, the book shows up ready to read, but it's not on the list, so I can't transfer it to nook

Distinguished Correspondent
msmoonlite

If your nook doesn't show up, plug it in then go to "my computer". Click on the drive that your nook ends up showing up as (on my computer its usually the E drive or the H drive). When you click on it there are a few folders that should open up, one is your library. You can drag and drop your books into that folder.

NOW, if the drive does not come up at all that sounds more like a tech support issue that I don't know how to handle.

Contributor
lillybug74
0 Kudos

no the drive shows up. I thought you had to use ADE or something to get the epub books to work, I didn't try directly adding them to the nook drive.

Contributor
lillybug74
0 Kudos

for goodness sakes, I just d/l and saved it instead of opening in ADE< then dropped it into my E drive, and it worked, that was so simple.

Why didn't anyone say that earlier, what is this ADE crap for????

I have to say, I've had my nook 2 days and I'm extremely frustrated by it's complexity. It is not intuitive. I've pretty tech savy, and it's taken me days to figure out stuff.

I was going to get one for my mother, but she will NEVER be able to figure it out.

thanks for the advice!

Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

Ladybug, slow down.

ADE is required for PROTECTED (locked) books.  Like the ones you get from the library.

No, you didn't need to use it for these books.

But, you WILL want to figure out how to work it for other sources.  Please don't blame B&N, Adobe wrote ADE and, well, they aren't exactly known for being user-friendly.  The program is actually pretty simple, it's just not helpful.

There are some very good step-by-step guides here on the forum and Adobe's Help screens are actually pretty good. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

If you buy a book from, say, Kobo or Google or Sony, the file you dowload from their site will end in .acsm.  In order to get the actual epub file, you have to open that .acsm file in ADE.  The .acsm file tells ADE which book you bought, and to download it from the internet and associate it with your account.  Once you've done that once, the epub file will be in your ADE folder on your computer.*

What I do is I buy the book, then download the .ascm file and open it (my computer is set to always open these files in ADE).  Then I close ADE, connect my nook, and drag and drop the files onto it.  Note that my nook is already initialized with ADE (you only have to do this once).

You cannot download a .acsm file and transfer that to the nook without opening it in ADE first.  (Well, you can, but as you don't actually have the book yet, it won't do much.)

* I assume this process is the same for library books, but I don't know because I haven't tried it.

Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

...You cannot download a .acsm file and transfer that to the nook without opening it in ADE first.  (Well, you can, but as you don't actually have the book yet, it won't do much.)

* I assume this process is the same for library books, but I don't know because I haven't tried it.

Same for library books.

Request the book, checkout, download the ACSM license key, it causes ADE to open and auto-fetch the book for you, connect the nook, drag from the ADE library display to the nook.  Ta-Da!

A couple of comments.  ASCM files are a temporary license keys to retrieve the book.  There is NO reason to "save" them; they expire quickly (my library gives me FIVE minutes).  It makes sense to tell Windows to always auto-open ADE when it sees those files or you lose the book and may end up on a waiting list if someone else checked it out after your chance expired.

The lending clock starts the second you download the book.  You can move it to your Nook anytime but the Nook keeps counting from that starting moment.  So, if you have a seven-day loan, download at 8:30am on Monday and load it to your Nook at 11:00am Thursday, the Nook will still refuse to open the book after 8:30am on the following Monday.

Bibliophile
bklvr896

[ Edited ]

lillybug74 wrote:

I have read and re-read and tried all the directions listed in the threads. IT'S NOT WORKING!

I have d/l some books in the epub format. I have done as instructed and opened them in ADE.

ADE has authorized my computer. When I d/l them, they show up in ADE, ready to read. But they're not in the libray.

When I open Nook for PC, they're not in "my stuff" to transfer to my nook.

What am I doing wrong?

I have deleted the files as instructed.

HELP, this is so frustrating!

Thanks

Lill

Your ADE library and your Nook for PC library are two different folders.  If you want the books in My Stuff, you have to open Nook for PC and add them manually to my stuff, they don't just automatically show up there.  

ADE and Nook for PC are separate and not related at all.  As was stated, ADE is for books from Kobo, Google and the library, where you get the .acsm file.  You don't say where you downloaded them, and if they are protected.  If you just buy books from B&N you don't need to use ADE.

BTW, my 83 year old mother is able to navigate ADE and get library books on her Nook and she's in no way computer saavy.  There's a link in my signature for ADE and getting library books to the Nook, it's the same process for books purchased from other sources that require the use of ADE.

New User
MsDickens
0 Kudos

That was the simplest and best suggestion. Worked like a charm. I'm not a guru but the nook download didn't work from "devices". Was so annoyed...then your suggestion to go to "my computer" worked great!! KUDOS!
New User
AvidNookReaderAW
0 Kudos

I can't get ADE to recognize my Nook Color.  I have read all the instructions on how to do it, I've deleted the files as instructed, but it is still not recognized.  Also, I don't get any popup windows for setting up the Nook in ADE, nor do I have a drop down arrow on the Library tab of ADE.  I just downloaded ADE from Adobe today so I know it is current.  I have a lot of books from my Sony ereader that I would like to get on my Nook.  Can someone please help me?

Correspondent
Strayer
0 Kudos

What I did, I have a NST, is open ADE. I plugged in the NST. I didn't install the Windows driver. I went to My Computer and saw the drive. The Nook showed up at the left side in ADE.
You can also plug in the Nook and then open ADE. I had to authoize the NST after I had done the install of ADE. I read the ADE directions for that and all is good.
I think it is confusing at first.
New User
AvidNookReaderAW
0 Kudos

Thanks for the response. I did finally get it by unplugging the Nook before opening ADE, so that was definitely the right way to go!!