Frequent Contributor
ImpliedConsent
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Glowlight - Glowholes

Here it is, February. I received my Glowlight this past Christmas. I close my nook Sunday night and open it Monday night. Here is what I find (attached). Can anyone tell me what the heck is going on.  What are those 3 anomolies?  What a disturbing way to read. I'm going back to Afghanistan very, very shortly and I NEED my nook - should I take it back to B&N first - call their 1800-number?

glowlight ONglowlight LOWEST setting

Contributor
WideAwake

Re: Glowlight - Glowholes

Unfortunately, it's not uncommon (but yours are the biggest I've seen.) I returned 3 for the same thing, mine were quite smaller, but annoying. They should be covered under the one year warranty, take it to a BN store if you can, they should swap it.

Correspondent
FulltimeRVer

I, too, have had it happen on three NSTGs.  B&N will replace it.  If you do it via telephone, they will make you go through a bunch of steps, including a reset, but they are well aware of the problem and will send you a replacement.

If you do it by phone, they will take a credit card number from you and immediately send a replacement. When you get the replacement, you send your old one back in the same box.  They pay shipping.  Your credit card never gets charged.

Be sure to unregister your old one before sending it back.

Dave
Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch

Go to a store, you'll get one right away.  Call in advance and ask if they have any refurbished Glowlights, explain yours is damaged.

The refurbished bit should not be off putting, most of the time it's Nooks that were never opened but were returned to either get a different Nook, or because they had a different reader/didn't want a reader. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Scribe
Haleakala_LKB

ImpliedConsent wrote:

Here it is, February. I received my Glowlight this past Christmas. I close my nook Sunday night and open it Monday night. Here is what I find (attached). Can anyone tell me what the heck is going on.  What are those 3 anomolies?  What a disturbing way to read. I'm going back to Afghanistan very, very shortly and I NEED my nook - should I take it back to B&N first - call their 1800-number?

----------------------------------

As someone else mentioned, I'd take it in and show them. Also can't hurt to mention you are heading back to Afganistan shortly (and thank you for your service). If you are not near enough a physical store, call. It is obviously still udner warranty. 

I've had mine a little over a month, would hate to see that happen on it. 

Good luck, LisaB

Frequent Contributor
ImpliedConsent

I was running outa time before I get locked down to not making it to a store. It was as easy as y'all said.  The hardest thing I had to do was put in my password to the new device.  I stuck around the store and used their wifi to re-dowload my 200+ books.

Just a little word about me and this nook.  This is my 5th combat military deployment (not a contractor, not a civilian, not admin, not support...but a true trigger pulling grunt).  Pre e-reader, my ruck would be filled with books that I would -ahem- "borrow" from one FOB or another. It was heavy. Now with my nook, if I can find a wifi, I can download many more books. The battery life is FANTASTIC (way better than n1e).

Reading is my escape and I have a lot of crap in my head that I do not need, want or should have. Its the nature of our business. If there was ever one gift that has retained my sanity, it has been this nook. If y'all ever struggled with a gift - don't hesitate - e-reader (brand be-damned).

bobstro

ebooks and readers for front-line soldiers?

[ Edited ]

Glad it worked out for you, Implied, and watch yourself out there! How often between getting access to power to recharge? I wonder if one of those little phone backup chargers might help, or does the NOOK get you through?

Back when my boys were at home, we did a little wargaming with the little metal figures and all. Some guys who deployed were trying it out, and a drive was started to ship stuff over to them. Apparently, they held the first tournament events in Iraq that year. I wonder if a similar drive has been made for ereaders? I'd be happy to send some NSTs over. B&N should do a funds match, or provide some rugged covers and such.

We should have some way to get a list of titles you guys would be interested in (please, tell me it's not vampire romance!) to load them up with before shipping. 

What do you use to protect the NOOK in your ruck? I'm sure some sort of screen protection is necessary.

keriflur

Re: ebooks and readers for front-line soldiers?

Thanks for your service.

Mercury_Glitch

bobstro wrote:

Back when my boys were at home, we did a little wargaming with the little metal figures and all. Some guys who deployed were trying it out, and a drive was started to ship stuff over to them. Apparently, they held the first tournament events in Iraq that year. I wonder if a similar drive has been made for ereaders? I'd be happy to send some NSTs over. B&N should do a funds match, or provide some rugged covers and such.

We should have some way to get a list of titles you guys would be interested in (please, tell me it's not vampire romance!) to load them up with before shipping. 

I'll bring this up at work.  Not sure if it's something the company would likely do, but possibly trying to get the Army, Marines, Air Force, and all the US military on board with Nooks would sound enticing to them. 

It's also the kind of project that gets public support, both the pro-war and anti-war (to paint with a broad brush) generally get behind the idea of supporting our troops in every way we can.

I certainly can't make any promises, but it's something corporate should like, getting people on board with Nook devices, and being able to garner positive press for doing so is something they can probably get behind.  I'll talk to our community manager as well, though we're in a very liberal neighborhood it is again one of those groups that dislike the war but are eternally grateful for to our troops.

Inspired Correspondent
njnookman

Don't forget that, whatever the device, it should be something that supports .epub books.

In the rest of the known worlde, epub = ebook.  Only in the US do we have this (artificially induced by another bookstore) confusion that attempts to promulgate TWO standards, not one. 

BN provides a good bookstore, and carries about 1/4 of the world's books.  If you want one of the OTHER 75% or so titles -- like something published in Afghanistan, perhaps? - what file format are you going to find them in?  .AZW, perhaps?  NOT!!!!

Standards are standard for a reason, and we're a global community of readers....as our soldiers are finding out.

Frequent Contributor
ImpliedConsent
0 Kudos

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

bobstro wrote:

I'll bring this up at work.  Not sure if it's something the company would likely do, but possibly trying to get the Army, Marines, Air Force, and all the US military on board with Nooks would sound enticing to them. 

It's also the kind of project that gets public support, both the pro-war and anti-war (to paint with a broad brush) generally get behind the idea of supporting our troops in every way we can.

I certainly can't make any promises, but it's something corporate should like, getting people on board with Nook devices, and being able to garner positive press for doing so is something they can probably get behind.  I'll talk to our community manager as well, though we're in a very liberal neighborhood it is again one of those groups that dislike the war but are eternally grateful for to our troops.

As much as I can appreciate the sentiment, I believe y'all are in the minority. We are now out-of-sight/out-of-mind. Americans are numb to the military. Numb to deaths. Numb to heartache. Nearly 12yrs in that cess-pool with 2k dead Soldiers (which, statistically speaking, is incredible). I think most of us like it that way - anonymous - quiet professionals.

TY'all - the new GLST (OK, refurb) is working just fine.

New User
Cloudster
0 Kudos

njnookman wrote:

Don't forget that, whatever the device, it should be something that supports .epub books.

In the rest of the known worlde, epub = ebook.  Only in the US do we have this (artificially induced by another bookstore) confusion that attempts to promulgate TWO standards, not one. 

BN provides a good bookstore, and carries about 1/4 of the world's books.  If you want one of the OTHER 75% or so titles -- like something published in Afghanistan, perhaps? - what file format are you going to find them in?  .AZW, perhaps?  NOT!!!!

Standards are standard for a reason, and we're a global community of readers....as our soldiers are finding out.

This is one thing that I love about Project Gutenberg (gutenberg.org).  A lot of their books are also available as epub.  Right now I'm reading Much Ado About Nothing and Beethoven's Letters.  I don't mind reading old books, I missed out on a lot of literature in high school in the 70's.  And don't forget about the Canadian and Australian Gutenbergs, their collection is a bit different than the U.S. version.

And I, too, have a "torn" screen.  Only one hole, and it's not directly in the reading area, but I'm going to exchange it today.  The sad thing is that my unit is only a week old.

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

Cloudster wrote:

And I, too, have a "torn" screen.  Only one hole, and it's not directly in the reading area, but I'm going to exchange it today.  The sad thing is that my unit is only a week old.

I developed one about 3 weeks ago. Just one, not interfering yet, but, it makes me sad. : ( Still deciding if I am going to return. 

LisaB

Mercury_Glitch

Return it. You'll get a refurb but you will also extend your one year warranty. If you purchased the extra warranty ask in the store to make sure it gets extended since the glow holes are a manufacturing defect and should be covered in the base warranty. Ask politely of course and ask if a manager can confirm it. I say that only because I've had customers who apparently did not get their warranty properly extended.