Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

How BIG is the 1.2 update?

I was skirting pretty close to my partitioned amount for B&N content & OS, but after the update I've archived all but three (few images, mostly text) magazines and over a dozen books of various sizes and I'm still getting the memory almost full dialogue.

How much extra memory did this thing take up?

I've even rebooting thinking the flag didn't clear when it should, but to no avail.

Grrr ...:smileymad:

Frequent Contributor
Joydeck
0 Kudos

Re: How BIG is the 1.2 update?

nook_1_2_update is 118.476 MB, almost half the Nook's 256 MB memory.
RHWright
0 Kudos

Joydeck wrote:

Geez, that's annoying. Unless they start having downloaded content automatically overflowing to the SD card as standard (not as a modification) that is just silly.

keriflur
0 Kudos

RHWright wrote:

Joydeck wrote:

Geez, that's annoying. Unless they start having downloaded content automatically overflowing to the SD card as standard (not as a modification) that is just silly.

I wonder where it goes if you get the OTA, and if folks who are close to their downloaded storage limit can still get the update.

DeanGibson
Topics: 93
Kudos: 2,273
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

All of the responses are not applicable to the original post.

• The original poster was thinking that the new update took more space away from B&N or user content storage, which is not true (the update goes into a different partition).  The new update may be applying a different test for notifications of an almost full (user or B&N space) device.
  • The replies seem to be all concerned with the size of the update file, relative to the free user space on the device.  This is a different (and valid) concern if you have any side-loaded content and do a manual download/update (I don't know where the automated download goes), but once the update has been applied, the manually-downloaded update file is deleted.
Nooks: 2 Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted;
    2 HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 (Android 4.0.4) rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G3 & G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2 rooted; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Frequent Contributor
CMarion
0 Kudos

I did not notice that I lost any space. I still have 83% of my space free. I tend not to keep all my books loaded, especially if purchases from B&N. They can store them, I want to be able to find my books easier. What other updates are there other than new dictionary - Yeah! And loss of ToC page numbers?

Frequent Contributor
Joydeck
0 Kudos

My list of NST enhancements in firmware 1.2 includes the Websters Collegiate dictionary (with type-in lookup, auto-hyphenated word lookup, and fonts-size the same as the epub), shelving retained after a power-off, a more reliable GoTo, and a bottom message on the screensaver.  Others have claimed sharper fonts, improved handling of epub formatting, and faster and cleaner page-turning, although I've not noticed these.

Internet browsing (using the hidden web browser) is unchanged except the Back key on the Social bar is activated if you touch on the bar within an inch of the key, or rub anywhere within a square inch.  
RHWright
0 Kudos

I think it may have been more related to the issues I was having with the My NOOK library. I'm going to start unarchiving again and see when it cries uncle.

Scribe
frantastk
0 Kudos

I had to archive at least a dozen books to get the notification to go away after I got the new update. (I hadn't thought I was that short of space, as I'd recently archived all my kids books) I was able to add a couple back before the notification showed up again, so I'm going to archive a bunch I dion't need right now. I have no real need for all my books on my device, I just got in the habit of having everything downloaded. I have everything backed up in about 3 different places.