Reply
New User
JustJPD
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎07-18-2011
0 Kudos

How can I get rid of the B&N Recommends on my all new Nook homepage?

So having bought a volume or two of erotica from the B&N Bookstore (along with a wide variety of other types of reading material!) I am now extremely embarrassed to find that on my brand-new Nook, the B&N recommendations are all adult/erotica! That's the first page that shows up at the bottom of the home screen when I power up. Not at all what I want other people to see!

 

How do I get rid of these? I don't want my private reading preferences made public. All of my erotica books are archived, but that doesn't seem to make a difference.

 

B&N really should have a setting for this -- maybe it's not erotica but straight-up romance novels that might embarrass some people, or trashy beach fiction, but whatever it is, it's not appropriate for B&N not to let readers have control over what displays on their Nooks.

Nallia
Posts: 4,758
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
Solutions: 4
Registered: ‎02-15-2010
0 Kudos

Re: How can I get rid of the B&N Recommends on my all new Nook homepage?

There are only two ways to get the selections that are showing there to change.  Either buy a bunch of books from different genres and no erotica and wait for them to change (which can take a long time), or turn on the social settings and get a couple of NOOK Friends.  The second option will change what shows on that screen to books your NOOK friends recommend instead.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
Posts: 6,552
Registered: ‎01-05-2010
0 Kudos

Re: How can I get rid of the B&N Recommends on my all new Nook homepage?


Nallia wrote:

There are only two ways to get the selections that are showing there to change.  Either buy a bunch of books from different genres and no erotica and wait for them to change (which can take a long time), or turn on the social settings and get a couple of NOOK Friends.  The second option will change what shows on that screen to books your NOOK friends recommend instead.


Will this cause erotica to show on the friends' nooks?  :smileysurprised:

Wordsmith
SCIONTX
Posts: 239
Registered: ‎11-18-2010
0 Kudos

Re: How can I get rid of the B&N Recommends on my all new Nook homepage?


keriflur wrote:

Nallia wrote:

There are only two ways to get the selections that are showing there to change.  Either buy a bunch of books from different genres and no erotica and wait for them to change (which can take a long time), or turn on the social settings and get a couple of NOOK Friends.  The second option will change what shows on that screen to books your NOOK friends recommend instead.


Will this cause erotica to show on the friends' nooks?  :smileysurprised:


I believe you can select the books you don't want known.

New User
scotswoman
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎02-01-2011
0 Kudos

Re: How can I get rid of the B&N Recommends on my all new Nook homepage?

How would you select which books your friends can see? 

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
Posts: 2,173
Registered: ‎07-25-2011

Re: How can I get rid of the B&N Recommends on my all new Nook homepage?

I hate to point out where Amazon is doing better on something, but they have a feature where you can tag any purchased book and basically check a box saying "Do not use this for any recommendations." 

 

One obvious example: I find it really stupid when B&N makes a recommendation based on a Free Fridays book I "bought" or a 99 cent special.  I routinely download a lot of them.  Often delete them just as quickly, but that doesn't remove them from the record, and B&N still makes recommendations based on them.  Doesn't mean I like them or want more similar books.

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
Posts: 1,617
Registered: ‎10-21-2009

Re: How can I get rid of the B&N Recommends on my all new Nook homepage?


scotswoman wrote:

How would you select which books your friends can see? 



Go to My NOOK online.

Go to My Friends

Go to About Me

It will show your lendable titles alpha by title (no resorting)

You can choose to Show or Hide each title

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
Posts: 1,617
Registered: ‎10-21-2009
0 Kudos

Re: How can I get rid of the B&N Recommends on my all new Nook homepage?


MacMcK1957 wrote:

I hate to point out where Amazon is doing better on something, but they have a feature where you can tag any purchased book and basically check a box saying "Do not use this for any recommendations." 

 

One obvious example: I find it really stupid when B&N makes a recommendation based on a Free Fridays book I "bought" or a 99 cent special.  I routinely download a lot of them.  Often delete them just as quickly, but that doesn't remove them from the record, and B&N still makes recommendations based on them.  Doesn't mean I like them or want more similar books.


I pointed this deficiency out when I gave Alex some feedback on My NOOK when it rolled out. Other than a general acknowledgement, haven't heard much else.

 

But yes, the Amazon recommendations scheme is much more refined. Don't know how much of that is proprietary and how much could be freely adapted to B&N's uses.

Correspondent
Byteguy
Posts: 609
Registered: ‎06-10-2011
0 Kudos

Re: How can I get rid of the B&N Recommends on my all new Nook homepage?


RHWright wrote:
But yes, the Amazon recommendations scheme is much more refined. Don't know how much of that is proprietary and how much could be freely adapted to B&N's uses.

Considering Amazon sued everyone they could find trying to say THEY invented the idea of "one-click ordering"... I would bet that Amazon would come gunning if B&N added a "don't use this" option too.

 

I don't agree... I'm just saying.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
Posts: 1,467
Registered: ‎09-28-2011
0 Kudos

Re: How can I get rid of the B&N Recommends on my all new Nook homepage?

I can't say that this is a problem for me.  I'm never on the Home Page as it only shows me Reading Now (duh, I know what I'm reading, don't need to be reminded), New Reads (don't need to know what I've recently downloaded as I'm the one that downloaded it) and What To Read Next (don't use that as I don't really care what my friends are reading and if I want their suggestions I'll ask them and I don't really need a computer to suggest similar books in my library).  The only screens I really use (other than the book I'm currently reading) is the library page and the settings page (usually just to turn WiFi on/off).

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
New User
aufblicken
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎05-29-2013
0 Kudos

Re: How can I get rid of the B&N Recommends on my all new Nook homepage?

The nook is specifically advertised as having "No annoying ads!" and that was a factor in my purchase. Recommendations are ads, and I really don't care for the cover art and don't appreciate having to explain half nude bodies to my child (the nook is new, so these aren't really specific to me).  I'll be returning the whole thing.  Customer service (chat) ended the conversation while I was mid-sentence, which I also find reprehensible.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
Posts: 6,552
Registered: ‎01-05-2010

Re: How can I get rid of the B&N Recommends on my all new Nook homepage?

So... don't go to your home page?  There's no reason to, frankly, as everything that can be done on the homepage can be done elsewhere, and more efficiently at that.  I probably haven't seen my home page on 6 months, if not more.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch
Posts: 1,380
Registered: ‎06-07-2011

Re: How can I get rid of the B&N Recommends on my all new Nook homepage?

The online chat is possibly the worst of the CS avenues.  They seem to be on a very slim timer for responses, and they have generally done a poor job of estimating the time it'll take for them to do something.

 

 

I would suggest finding Nook Friends, as that quickly replaces the other suggestions and as long as your friends aren't reading trashy romance/erotica you wont see covers with half naked people. 

 

Though as mentioned elsewhere in this thread I rarely ever look at my homescreen on my NSTG.  It's fairly useless since you can access what you're reading from the top of the screen, you can see what you've got in the library, etc.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.