New User
Qwertinsky
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

How can I get rid of the ugly authors screen saver?

How can I get rid of the ugly authors screen saver? Serously I have put my own pictures in and when I am reading it uses my screensaver but when is powered off and back on it the ugly authors com back.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

Re: How can I get rid of the ugly authors screen saver?

You can't.  But the nook only needs to be turned off if you're not going to use for a couple of months, so there's no need to see the authors all the time, just put it to sleep.

Correspondent
Strayer
0 Kudos

When I've turned on the NSTG, sometimes I get the Authors and sometimes I get my screensavers. I'll just have it sleep.
MacMcK1957

I actually fully power off my Nook maybe once a month at most.  Having to see an author face once really doesn't bother me.  The next time it goes to sleep it returns to my screen savers, a collection of M C Escher prints.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

I can't even remember the last time I fully powered off my NST. I think it might have been late winter/early spring?
http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Contributor
BN_Hemen1
0 Kudos

Rooting is the answer, what was the question?

New User
thebooknook
0 Kudos

Qwertinsky wrote:

How can I get rid of the ugly authors screen saver? Serously I have put my own pictures in and when I am reading it uses my screensaver but when is powered off and back on it the ugly authors com back.

The solution is incredibly simple. Just make folders under the screensaver folder and then put pictures in those folders. You don' t have to root.

DeanGibson
Topics: 93
Kudos: 2,273
Solutions: 18

[ Edited ]

thebooknook wrote:

Qwertinsky wrote:

How can I get rid of the ugly authors screen saver? Serously I have put my own pictures in and when I am reading it uses my screensaver but when it is powered off and back on it the ugly authors come back.

The solution is incredibly simple. Just make folders under the screensaver folder and then put pictures in those folders. You don' t have to root.

The problem is that, when the Nook is powered on each time, it goes to the "Authors" built-in folder and selects the "Bronte Sisters" image to display.  This is hard-coded in the firmware, and you have to root to change it.

The solution you describe, works as the screensaver after the initial image on power-on.

Nooks: 2 Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted;
    2 HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 (Android 4.0.4) rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G3 & G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2 rooted; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Correspondent
Strayer
0 Kudos

My NSTG went to authors and I switched it back to my pics in settings. After a few times of switching it back to my pix, it stayed on my pics folder. When I power on, the screensaver is my pics.
I did not root. The settings for screensaver was going back to the default.
The screensavers still come up my pics a month or so later.
DeanGibson
Topics: 93
Kudos: 2,273
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

Strayer wrote:
The screensavers still come up my pics a month or so later.

What version firmware?  Do you have an SD card inserted

Apparently the reason B&N made the change, is that the screensaver seems to be fetched before the internal user partition is mounted.  Those two events may happen asynchronously to each other.

Nooks: 2 Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted;
    2 HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 (Android 4.0.4) rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G3 & G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2 rooted; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Correspondent
Strayer
0 Kudos

saver Re: How can I get rid of the ugly authors screen saver?

I didn't do the 1.2 update. I won't be doing the update. No SD card. I just kept putting the screensaver folder to mine.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Re: saver Re: How can I get rid of the ugly authors screen saver?

Isn't there still a "nature" option instead of the authors as the default screeen saver? Or did they remove that too?
Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

NookGardener wrote:
Isn't there still a "nature" option instead of the authors as the default screeen saver? Or did they remove that too?

There is, or at least was, that screen saver.  However, the 'authors' screen saver is the default one and I don't believe there is any way to remove it.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

kamas716 wrote:

NookGardener wrote:

There is, or at least was, that screen saver.  However, the 'authors' screen saver is the default one and I don't believe there is any way to remove it.

Not without rooting and getting superuser access.  I have not had any luck with Noogie on my NSTG, it wont mount the needed parition it seems. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Ok, found DH's NSTG. It's still running on version 1.1.5.  Go to Settings, Screen, and then there are two options: authors or nature. Selected nature. Turn it on and off, it's using the nature photos, not scary authors pics.

bobstro
0 Kudos

NookGardener wrote:

Ok, found DH's NSTG. It's still running on version 1.1.5.  Go to Settings, Screen, and then there are two options: authors or nature. Selected nature. Turn it on and off, it's using the nature photos, not scary authors pics.

What happens when you plug it into your computer using USB? When the uSD card is not available (e.g. plugged in for computer access, or on 1st boot), v1.1.2 and older show the 3 women, at least on my devices.

Contributor
BN_Hemen1
0 Kudos

Correspondent
Strayer
0 Kudos

Plug your NST intot he PC. In My COmputer, open the drive that is the NST. Find Screensavers folder.

In  screensaver. Open it. Make a new folder. Use a short name for the new folder. Put in JPEG pictures that you want. When you have your NST on, go to settings. Click on the folder with your pictures. I had to do that a few times for it to stop loading the default uglies.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Strayer wrote:

Plug your NST intot he PC. In My COmputer, open the drive that is the NST. Find Screensavers folder.

In  screensaver. Open it. Make a new folder. Use a short name for the new folder. Put in JPEG pictures that you want. When you have your NST on, go to settings. Click on the folder with your pictures. I had to do that a few times for it to stop loading the default uglies.

While I know your intentions are good, this isn't what they were talking about.  On the NST/Gs when you power down it goes to a default of the Bronte sisters, or at least sometimes does, likewise when you have it plugged in to the computer if you put it in sleep mode.

I haven't had the luck others have had with replacing the files, though I also haven't really tried that hard since I don't power down my NSTG. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
New User
Artemesia44
0 Kudos

I made a folder and moved my photos to it and put the folder in the screen saver icon.  I selected this folder on the screensaver screen on the nook.  BUT every time it reverts to the ugly authors.  I cannot get it to select my photos.  I had no trouble doing this on the old nook -- the new glowlight doesn't seem to recognize the pictures or folder and reverts to the authors.  Help.