New User
Calculations
0 Kudos

Issues with sideloaded content looking all goofy.

Hi.

For the record, yes, goofy is the technical term.

I've sideloaded a great deal of content to my device, and only one book collection (ie, multiple books in a series) is being displayed properly. The other ones have authors like 'me' and '<56464616846846>' or some similar nonsense.

I'm just looking for a way to change the values of the PDFs that I've put on this device, so their authors and titles will display correctly. And their book covers. How can I do this? Is there a recommended program?

Also, when I first turn it on, my screensavers aren't displayed, the original authors are displayed. Once I put it to sleep after this, the custom screensavers are displayed. Just not when I first turn it on.

Thanks!

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: Issues with sideloaded content looking all goofy.

Calculations wrote:

Hi.

I've sideloaded a great deal of content to my device, and only one book collection (ie, multiple books in a series) is being displayed properly. The other ones have authors like 'me' and '<56464616846846>' or some similar nonsense.

I'm just looking for a way to change the values of the PDFs that I've put on this device, so their authors and titles will display correctly. And their book covers. How can I do this? Is there a recommended program?

Also, when I first turn it on, my screensavers aren't displayed, the original authors are displayed. Once I put it to sleep after this, the custom screensavers are displayed. Just not when I first turn it on.

Thanks!

The issues you are seeing are from the metadata of the files you added.  I can't answer you on how to change this, but hopefully someone else here can.  I'm pretty sure there is a way.

For the screensavers, this is standard, it's how the device works.  That said, unless you're storing your nook for months at a time without using it, there's no reason to shut it off.  The nook is designed to work best when it's put to sleep when not in use.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Calculations wrote:

Hi.

Thanks!

The information that is displayed for side-loaded content is what is referred to as meta-data (data about data).

Meta-data in a book (or PDF document) can include such information as the title, author, sort title (this is a modified version of the title, usually with a leading preposition removed to make it sort more logically), cover image, publication date, etc.

The meta-data for a document is normally included by the creator, Adobe Acrobat Distiller allows you to specify the meta-data for a PDF document.

If the creator of a file did not include proper meta-data, there are program which will allow you to edit it. For instance Calbre, the popular eBook management program, will allow you to edit an eBooks meta-data.

I'm not sure if Calibre can edit the meta-data of a PDF file, and I'm too lazy to check it out.

Correspondent
Marty-TX
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi Calculations, welcome to the forum.

Calibre is a freeware program that will change PDF metadata.  You'll easily be able to get the correct PDF title and author.  However, PDF's do not have regular book covers. Calibre will create a "cover" that is a picture of the first page in the PDF.  However, the "cover" shows only in Calibre. When you use Calibre to load the PDF into the Nook, all you get in the Nook is the book title printed on the outline of a book.