Contributor
FelisAtrox
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Library won't sync to new NST w/glowlight

I just purchased a Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight and cannot get my B&N library to sync.  I've tried deregistering and reregistering, didn't help.  Tried turning it off and on, didn't help.  It seems to be connected to the internet just fine because I can browse the shop without issue.  I have other Nook devices on my account (1st gen 3g, color, nst) so maybe I have too many devices registered?  I have a large amount of unread, unarchived books - is that a potential issue?  I refuse to sideload anything because it shouldn't have to be like that.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Re: Library won't sync to new NST w/glowlight

FelisAtrox wrote:

I just purchased a Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight and cannot get my B&N library to sync.  I've tried deregistering and reregistering, didn't help.  Tried turning it off and on, didn't help.  It seems to be connected to the internet just fine because I can browse the shop without issue.  I have other Nook devices on my account (1st gen 3g, color, nst) so maybe I have too many devices registered?  I have a large amount of unread, unarchived books - is that a potential issue?  I refuse to sideload anything because it shouldn't have to be like that.

Have you gone into My Nook, Manage my Nooks to see if the new NST is listed in your library?  I would take that as the first step.

Contributor
FelisAtrox
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

Have you gone into My Nook, Manage my Nooks to see if the new NST is listed in your library?  I would take that as the first step.

I just looked, and yes it's there.  Tried the sync again and still nothing.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

FelisAtrox wrote:

In reading your post, I have a question for you.  Do you mean your library won't download to your NSTG (I have a large amount of unread, unarchived books...)?  Or, do you mean that your NSTG won't sync the book you are reading with your other devices (I have other devices on my account...)? 

If it's your library won't download, it may take awhile with wifi on and uninterupted for it to move the book information, and then you'll likely have to manually tap each cover to get it download onto your device.  If it still won't get the book information from the server for your account, I'd call customer service.

If it's just that the book you're reading won't sync across devices, this is a fairly common issue with no resolution in sight.  Some accounts will, some accounts won't.  It seems rather random.  I don't think the number of devices should be an issue.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Contributor
FelisAtrox
0 Kudos

kamas716 wrote:

In reading your post, I have a question for you.  Do you mean your library won't download to your NSTG (I have a large amount of unread, unarchived books...)?  Or, do you mean that your NSTG won't sync the book you are reading with your other devices (I have other devices on my account...)? 

If it's your library won't download, it may take awhile with wifi on and uninterupted for it to move the book information, and then you'll likely have to manually tap each cover to get it download onto your device.  If it still won't get the book information from the server for your account, I'd call customer service.

It's the whole library that won't show up at all.  I left it overnight to see if it would just take a while, but no covers even show up for download.  The sync button circles around for a while but then stops, so maybe it's simply timing out.

I did try some new things:

1) Downloading a new book directly from the NSTG: book downloads fine; shows up in the library.

2) From the NTSG, trying to buy a book that I've already bought before: doesn't work, says "You have already purchased this item.  Please check your library."  And it's not in the library.

3) Purchasing a book from the B&N website: won't show up in library.

I'll call customer service as suggested.

Contributor
FelisAtrox
0 Kudos

Well, they simply had me do what I had already done: reboot; deregister; let it sit 10-15 minutes.  When I mentioned I had let it sit overnight to try and sync the library, all they suggested was to sideload what I want to read.  Sigh.  I guess I'll give it a few days.  Maybe it just takes more time with a big library.

Contributor
Emma_KC
0 Kudos

I'm in the same boat.  I went to my local BN, who called Nook support for advice.  We were told this is a known issue with NST; the developers are aware of this problem; no date has been given for a fix.  I am so very disappointed.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

I would ask for an exchange, or do a return (if you're within the return period) and get a new one.  If you let it sit overnight, and it still didn't sync, there's probably a problem with it.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Emma_KC wrote:

I'm in the same boat.  I went to my local BN, who called Nook support for advice.  We were told this is a known issue with NST; the developers are aware of this problem; no date has been given for a fix.  I am so very disappointed.

I call Bull on this.  If this is a known issue, it's a brand new one.

Reader 4
jeannieq
0 Kudos

Same issue here.  I bought a new STGL yesterday and tried syncing it multiple times.  I chatted with a customer support rep online who finally told me it was a known issue.  Not ready to give up, I called support, went through the same steps (AGAIN) and after spending 20 minutes on the phone was told it was a server issue and it had been escalated.  He said that they are hoping to have it resolved within 24-48 hours.  I'm torn between taking it back for a refund, taking it back and exchanging it for a new one or just waiting.  My comment to him at the end was - Why are they continuing to sell them if they know there is a problem?.

B&N Bookseller
JL_Garner

Exchanging it will not work; I tried to assist a customer with this very issue last night in my store, and his replacement GlowLight had the same issue with the library not showing up that his returned GlowLight did.

Keriflur, it's a new known issue -- support knows about it, but it sounds like the problem just cropped up in the past few days. They said the problem affects both the GlowLight and regular Simple Touch NOOKs, but not Tablet and Color. Unfortunately, that's all I know, and it's just as frustrating from my side of the counter as it is from yours.
Reader 4
jeannieq
0 Kudos

Thank you for posting.  At least I know I'm not alone!  I wish that we knew how long this would take to be resolved.

Contributor
FelisAtrox
0 Kudos

jeannieq wrote:

I wish that we knew how long this would take to be resolved.

I wonder what's the average time it takes for them to fix something.  Or if they might not fix it at all?

I guess I'll be returning my NSTG because I don't know how long I would have to wait in order to use it normally.  It's a big disappointment; that silly light would have been ideal for me.

Contributor
grace2design
0 Kudos

I have the same problem, which started on Thursday August 16th. I went to my local Barnes and Noble store on Friday to get it checked out - the Nook expert had to call for support and ended up talking to someone at corporate, who said it would take about 48 hours to fix. I've been trying to sync my library periodically since Saturday, and just today during my lunch break, my NST finally synced a couple of my nook books. It's not my whole library, but at least some of it's syncing now. Hopefully, the rest of my library will be available to me again by the time I get off of work.

Contributor
Emma_KC
0 Kudos

grace2design, this gives me hope. I received my NSTG on Friday 8/19 and haven't seen anything load from my library... but now I'm hopeful. Thanks.
Distinguished Correspondent
DCLOVELL
0 Kudos

I just received a replacement NST and have the same issue...ugh.....this really stinks.....first a bad battery now this....

Contributor
trabri89
0 Kudos

Thank goodness I'm not the only one having this problem.  I had a NST which I had to erase and deregister because it would give me an error message in the middle of reading something and then kick me out.  After I re-registered it, I couldn't get my online library to sync back up.  I had an extended warranty at Best Buy and I was able to exchange it Sunday for a new one, which I got NSTG.  I had the same issue after I registered it none of my books from the online library would sync with my new nook.  I called and was told it would take about 24 hours and they still are not on my new nook.  I couldn't believe that no one else was having this problem.  I ended up reading using the nook app that I have on my phone.  I'll check back and see if anyone has been successful.  Thanks

Contributor
CodyCelest
0 Kudos

I'm having this same exact issue... Just got a NSTG for my Birthday on Monday (the 20th) and it will not Sync my Library... I've verified it did properly register, and it will side load books from my PC, but my Library remains bare. No trace of my 200+ books.:smileyfrustrated:

“I believe in everything until it's disproved. So I believe in fairies, the myths, dragons. It all exists, even if it's in your mind. Who's to say that dreams and nightmares aren't as real as the here and now?”
― John Lennon
Contributor
grace2design
0 Kudos

Thought I'd check in to see if anyone else is getting their partial library. I still don't have my whole library - only 11 of my active nookbooks (out of 300+) and 20 of my archived nookbooks - so it's definitely not fixed yet. Anyone called Nook support lately? It's already been about 96 hours since I last called them, and they said it would be fixed in 48 hours:smileysad:

Reader 4
kathleenNC
0 Kudos

My simple touch was stolen so I went to BN last evening and bought a new one. I am having the same problem it will not sync with my library and I have deregistered it twice. I was told give it 24 hours the same as you. This if very frustrating and I really am thinking Kindle at this point for future books.