Distinguished Correspondent
DCLOVELL
0 Kudos

Re: Library won't sync to new NST w/glowlight

keriflur wrote:

DCLOVELL wrote:

What frustrates me is not that there are technical issues, that falls under "stuff" happens, but the fact that tech support "plays dumb" until you tell them you know it's a known issue.  I LOATHE when a company treats me...their customer like a stupid idiot even after I have explained to them I know about this from their own forum.  I understand that the people on the phone are probably doing as they are instructed.  A change does need to come from management.  I will say that B&N are not alone in this department.  I recently dealt with Samsung tech support and they are even worse in this arena.

Also the time it's taking to fix this issue. I sure hope they back up everyone's library!

I suspect (and past issues indicate) that they're not playing dumb, they really don't know that this issue is happening, because B&N rarely tells their CS anything about what's going on.  So don't blame your CS agent, blame the company he/she works for.

Absolutely blame the company not the person.

Wordsmith
h2oskierc
0 Kudos

Or, they are all on the same server(s), and just interact with your nook in a different way, and the interaction (API, whatever), for lack of knowledge of better terms, that works with NST/NSTG is broken, while the others are not.

DrWu wrote:
Oh I agree...definately a server problem. What is hard to understand for me (as an "IT Guy") is that there's a different server hosting my library for my NSTG, my Nook Color, and the Nook app running on my Xoom. It doesn't really make a lot of sense to me that they do it that way...I could see regional servers being set up.. Northeat, Southeast, Northcentral...etc. but I don't really get why they'd set up a different server for each device model. And can't fathom how they couldn't find and fix the problem by now.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

DrWu wrote:
Oh I agree...definately a server problem. What is hard to understand for me (as an "IT Guy") is that there's a different server hosting my library for my NSTG, my Nook Color, and the Nook app running on my Xoom. It doesn't really make a lot of sense to me that they do it that way...I could see regional servers being set up.. Northeat, Southeast, Northcentral...etc. but I don't really get why they'd set up a different server for each device model. And can't fathom how they couldn't find and fix the problem by now.

Actually (and I'm in the realm of pure speculation here, I have no inside knowledge of B&N operations), I don;t think they have separate servers for the different e-readers.

If there was a server dedicated to just the NST & NSTG, then it would be downright criminal to install an update on that server without testing the NST library functions against it.

Instead what I suspect happened is the server software was updated, and introduced some incompatibility with the NST and NSTG, but not with the other models.

The programmers have my sympathy, because these bugs can be the hardest to find and track down.

They also have lost some of my respect because they should have backed out this change right away when they realized customers were being severely affected.

This is all academic to me at this point, since I am not affected by this. If I was I would be really p****d!!

Wordsmith
h2oskierc

As a temporary work around, you could download the epubs using the nook sofware on your computer, and then side-load your nook-books to your NST/NSTG.  Would be a PITA, but, at least it would get you reading your books in the meantime.

Contributor
Emma_KC
0 Kudos

I've just been through Round 4 with Nook support and learned absolutely nothing new.  I had to tell the trying-to-be-helpful-CS-person what the problem was.  I'm not sure she beleived me until I refused to reset my device.

Don't reset your NST's to factory settings, folks.  I did that yesterday and my two recent purchases (post server-snafu) slipped out into the unattainable realm with the rest of my library.  

Ah, the frustration.  

I feel for the CS folks, who apparently learn of this issue as we unhappy Nook folks tell them about it.  

I feel for the programmers who are working toward the solution.  Dear Programmers -- although I feel for you, please Work Faster.  :-)

I am absolutely disappointed that whatever "server change" that caused this was not thoroughly tested before being moved to production.  Not smart!

If I wasn't a fairly patient girl geek with years of Nook loyalty, I'm not sure that I would have pursued this for nearly a week.  My patience is truly being tried with this.  

I've backed up my entire library and am side-loading as I write.  Grumble grumble ... mutter mutter.  

New User
PlanetHeather
0 Kudos

Emma,

I was so happy to read your comment. Although, since it sounded SO much like my experience, I had to double check your name. I have called, written, and tweeted and still can't get anyone to respond with anything more than "re-register/factory reset".  I am beyond frustrated since I traded in a "working OK 1st Edition" for an almost non-functional ST. I want them to return my 1st Edition so I can at least read on the plane!

New User
PlanetHeather
0 Kudos

I would like to add that this has been a problem now for more than a week and that it exists on ST and the Glow devices. I traded in a working 1st Edition and no one warned me I would be losing all my books. I tried the next day to get my old 1st Edition back but the store said it was "gone".

Until this is fixed, Barnes and Noble needs to publicly acknowledge the problem and to STOP selling the ST to any existing Nook customers. I really want a 1st edition back. I wonder if anyone has called Amazon's marketing department? After the way I've been yanked around this week I would switch in a second if it weren't for the 4 Nooks and 300+ books in my library.

Wordsmith
h2oskierc

I understand your frustration, I went from a N1E to the NSTG, and yes it is a pain.  You HAVEN'T lost your books.  If there is one you want on there that won't download, download it with the nook for PC (or Mac) program and then side-load it to your nook.  Yes, it is a pain, yes, it is how eReaders were loaded years ago.  Somebody screwed up, let them fix it and move on.

The melodrama that is the internet is ruining the internet...

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

PlanetHeather wrote:

Until this is fixed, Barnes and Noble needs to publicly acknowledge the problem and to STOP selling the ST to any existing Nook customers.

You seem to be operating under the impression that this is happening to all nooks, which is incorrect.  Given the small number of people who are complaining. as compared to the number who came on here when the WiFi issue occurred, I'm guessing that this issue is only happening to a subset of new nooks.  And as far as anyone knows this is a temporary problem that is server-only and not connected to the actual devices, so IMO to say they should stop selling them is extreme bordering on hyperbole.

Yes, B&N should be more forthcoming on the issue.  Yes, they should inform their stores and the CS agents and give guidelines for how all of those folks should handle the issue.  Yes, you're getting a raw deal.  But getting hyperbolic on the internet isn't going to make anything better.

Not to mention there is an extremely easy workaround.

bobstro

[ Edited ]

It would be classy of B&N to offer up something to long-time customers who suffer through this. I'd be pretty upset if I had a 300 book library of B&N titles and suddenly couldn't access it. Sort of gives me pause thinking about things like DRM.

If you're near a computer and can download the files, that's great. Not a real solution for anybody on the road, though. B&N should offer up some gift card if this is their fault.

keriflur
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:

It would be classy of B&N to offer up something to long-time customers who suffer through this. I'd be pretty upset if I had a 300 book library of B&N titles and suddenly couldn't access it. Sort of gives me pause thinking about things like DRM.

If you're near a computer and can download the files, that's great. Not a real solution for anybody on the road, though. B&N should offer up some gift card if this is their fault.

That's a can of worms.  How do they decide who qualifies, especially since these are all new nooks?  And what do they do with all the angry people who don't qualify and think they deserve a gift card too?

The number of folks who just bought a new nook on the road with no access to a computer and a large library?  Methinks that can't be too high.  Plan ahead, folks.  And back up your books.

B&N Bookseller
JL_Garner
0 Kudos

While the bulk of those affected are people buying new NOOKs, there's also people with existing NOOKs to consider -- "erase & deregister" is sort of the default thing CS has people do when they call to troubleshoot.
bobstro
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:
[...] The number of folks who just bought a new nook on the road with no access to a computer and a large library?  Methinks that can't be too high.  Plan ahead, folks.  And back up your books.

Good advice, but hardly a ringing endorsement of B&N's cloud!

From what I'm understanding, this issue is biting users with any books in the B&N cloud, correct? Having invested in 300 titles is bad enough, but not being able to use it correctly on day one really sours the honeymoon with a new device.

I wonder if B&N can tell who's affected on the server side. It sounds like devices are connecting, but not synchronizing, which makes me think there should be log entries.

Wordsmith
h2oskierc

Prudence would dictate that any user would backup their purchases. It's just common sense.
keriflur
0 Kudos

JL_Garner wrote:
While the bulk of those affected are people buying new NOOKs, there's also people with existing NOOKs to consider -- "erase & deregister" is sort of the default thing CS has people do when they call to troubleshoot.

Which is why it's absolutely horrible that B&N hasn't put out an announcement to every single CS agent in their employ telling them about this issue and not the have customers deregister their nooks.

For those people who had mostly working nooks that got screwed because B&N can't be bothered to notify its CS of the issue, those people deserve reparations IMO.

bobstro

h2oskierc wrote:
Prudence would dictate that any user would backup their purchases. It's just common sense.

Prudence would dictate that B&N have a backup of their server configs, and a plan to roll back if something goes wrong during an upgrade. I'm not going to blame this one on the customers.

keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

bobstro wrote:

keriflur wrote:
[...] The number of folks who just bought a new nook on the road with no access to a computer and a large library?  Methinks that can't be too high.  Plan ahead, folks.  And back up your books.

Good advice, but hardly a ringing endorsement of B&N's cloud!

From what I'm understanding, this issue is biting users with any books in the B&N cloud, correct? Having invested in 300 titles is bad enough, but not being able to use it correctly on day one really sours the honeymoon with a new device.

It's not just B&N's cloud you shouldn't trust, it's any cloud, and any device.  Never assume you'll have access to files stored offsite.  Never assume an electronic device won't fail.  These things happen.  When you assume, you... well, you know what happens.

And I don't mean that in an "oh well" fashion.  I mean that it's always a good idea to be prepared.  I've got a fancy handheld GPS device, but that doesn't mean I don't take my trusty old compass when I go out into the woods.

And no, it's not any users, just new registries.  And it's unclear if it's all, or just a subset.

keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

bobstro wrote:

h2oskierc wrote:

Prudence would dictate that B&N have a backup of their server configs, and a plan to roll back if something goes wrong during an upgrade. I'm not going to blame this one on the customers.

Both of these statements are true.  It seems it takes a village to read a book nowadays.
Regardless of what B&N should be doing, it's still foolish not to back up.
BUT in this instance even if you didn't back up, you can still download from the web, Nook Study, and Nook for PC.
keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Nothing to see here.
bobstro
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

[...] Both of these statements are true.  It seems it takes a village to read a book nowadays.

At least it doesn't take a scribe anymore!

Regardless of what B&N should be doing, it's still foolish not to back up.

Oh, I agree 100%. My stuff's all backed up. I'm just not about to go blaming grandma for not having a backup of the book she bought yesterday to read on her shiny new NSTG, while letting B&N off the hook.

BUT in this instance even if you didn't back up, you can still download from the web, Nook Study, and Nook for PC.

If you have access to those, yes. Have there been any stats gathered on how many people buy a reading device without access to a computer? I always assumed everyone with a reader would have a computer of some sort handy, but have been surprised when encountering people with none. I was reminded that not everybody has ready access to the Internet. For some folks, B&N's might be the only wireless they hit, and then only when "going into town".

Does every "Julie" have a desktop?