Frequent Contributor
byter67
0 Kudos

Re: Problem Solved?

When I got the good sync my NSTG was fresh out of a recharge. Also the time of day was very early am when server traffic is likely to be low. The earliest mention I can locate on the internet of this being a bug acknowledged by B&N was a user comment at a CNet review page dated 7/14/12, so the problem has been around for a while it would appear.

Distinguished Correspondent
DCLOVELL
0 Kudos

Re: Problem Solved? Don't think so...

I just tried synching and nothing.  Anyone else have anything to report..?

Contributor
CodyCelest

Well, I took my STG to my actual Brick and Mortar B&N store (I wanted to buy a silicone cover for it anyway) and tried to Sync there—Nothing. I then (for the heck of it) caught the attention of one of their employees who is apparently their Tech guy for the store. He tried to Sync it, got nothing. Did everything he could beyond deregistering it (I expressed my dislike of the idea and he was cool with it) and still nada.

The guy was knowlegable and very understanding. He even went up to their store display model, took it out of demo mode and registered my account on it... Nope. Didn't Sync. He said he would later take my acct info and try to load it onto a Nook Color if I gave him permission, which I did, and he'd see what happened.

Then he gave me his card and name, told me point blank that I could (if I want to) call him up every single day and ask him to try and Sync my account in store. He said if there came a day when he could Sync my account to a store device, but mine continued to not Sync, he would personally see to it that I got a replacement.

So, still don't have access to my library and am stuck side-loading anything I want to read... But I'm trying to be patient and see what happens.

“I believe in everything until it's disproved. So I believe in fairies, the myths, dragons. It all exists, even if it's in your mind. Who's to say that dreams and nightmares aren't as real as the here and now?”
― John Lennon
Contributor
Emma_KC
0 Kudos

I spent two hours at my local B&N and watched their very skilled nook guru go from skeptical that this was a "known issue" to something akin to outraged (partly, I think, because the stores have not been notified).  At the end of the two hours, Nook support gave him the same "day or two" answer for a fix.

As I was leaving, another person came into the store with the same problem.  At least she didn't have to go through hours of troubleshooting like some of us have.

Come on, Barnes & Noble.  Get this fixed.

DCLOVELL

[ Edited ]

Emma_KC wrote:

I spent two hours at my local B&N and watched their very skilled nook guru go from skeptical that this was a "known issue" to something akin to outraged (partly, I think, because the stores have not been notified).  At the end of the two hours, Nook support gave him the same "day or two" answer for a fix.

As I was leaving, another person came into the store with the same problem.  At least she didn't have to go through hours of troubleshooting like some of us have.

Come on, Barnes & Noble.  Get this fixed.

You know...I totally understand glitches, server issues and bugs in devices.  Not saying I like it.  But to me there are two huge issues here...

1)  The length of time it's taking to fix this.

AND...even bigger in my mind-

2) The LACK of communication from B&N to the customers, their CSM's on the chat service, phone service and in the stores. (You're also leaving your employees who are on the firing line out to dry.  Not everyone is gracious when it comes to issues like this.  While it's not the CSM's fault, THEY are taking all of or most of the flack for this!)

When there is a lack of communication from the top, it looks like something is being hidden and it is human nature to go to "the dark side" and think the worst.

COME ON B&N...does anyone besides store employees read this forum?  Let's be upfront and communicate on this.  The longer you hold out...the worse it's going to be.  I know...I've lived it before in my life!

Frequent Contributor
Scooter_Moonpie
0 Kudos

I just tried to sync my NSTG again a moment ago and still nothing. At least my NT finally synced.I feel bad for the folks with the NST and NSTG who have to go without. I would lose my ever loving mind if I had to go these 4 days without a nook.

B&N needs to solve this problem ASAP.They don't want to have a bunch of irate customers right around the time Amazon is fixing to annouce their new and improved gadgets. Some people (not me) might jump ship.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
DCLOVELL
0 Kudos

Scooter_Moonpie wrote:

At least my NT finally synced.

When did your NST synch? How long did you have it before it did synch.  I have had mine since Monday 8/20 and it would not synch at 6:15 am EST today when I last tried it.

Frequent Contributor
Scooter_Moonpie
0 Kudos

DCLOVELL wrote:

Scooter_Moonpie wrote:

At least my NT finally synced.

When did your NST synch? How long did you have it before it did synch.  I have had mine since Monday 8/20 and it would not synch at 6:15 am EST today when I last tried it.

My NT and phone app finally synced on Saturday...only out for one day.I've had it since Christmas and it wonked out on Friday....along with my NSTG,Nook for Mac and my phone app. My NSTG and Nook for Mac is still not syncing...I bought the Simple Touch Glowlight first week in August. I may have to blow the dust off of my NE1 and see if that syncs.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
Frequent Contributor
Scooter_Moonpie
0 Kudos

Well,my NE1 synced like a charm....not so with the NSTG,it's still out :smileysad:

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

[ Edited ]

To compare the B&N situation to a similar problem:

I use an application called Simplenote, on the web and through a third-party client on my phone.  On Saturday I noticed that my third-party client wasn't syncing my notes.  When it wasn't fixed on Sunday I sent an email to Simperium, the company that created Simplenote, to ask if there was a server issue or if there was something wrong with my account.  I didn't expect to hear back until Monday.  I got a personal email back on Sunday afternoon, telling me that they'd sorted the issue, that syncing should start again soon, and that they had a long term solution to prevent the problem from happening again (a planned move to new infrastructure).

Y'all, I got a personal email on a Sunday afternoon from a guy who had likely been working all weekend to resolve the issue.

Now I know that B&N's issue is likely more complex, and they probably have a lot more customers to deal with, but somehow I don't see that as an excuse, because as a bigger company they have more resources at their disposal.  This has been going on in a major way for well over a week, and B&N can't even let THEIR STORES know what's going on.  CS is still relatively in the dark.  We haven't seen any updates here in the forums.

The least they could do is to tell us what's going on.

DCLOVELL
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

To compare the B&N situation to a similar problem:

I use an application called Simplenote, on the web and through a third-party client on my phone.  On Saturday I noticed that my third-party client wasn't syncing my notes.  When it wasn't fixed on Sunday I sent an email to Simperium, the company that created Simplenote, to ask if there was a server issue or if there was something wrong with my account.  I didn't expect to hear back until Monday.  I got a personal email back on Sunday afternoon, telling me that they'd sorted the issue, that syncing should start again soon, and that they had a long term solution to prevent the problem from happening again (a planned move to new infrastructure).

Y'all, I got a personal email on a Sunday afternoon from a guy who had likely been working all weekend to resolve the issue.

Now I know that B&N's issue is likely more complex, and they probably have a lot more customers to deal with, but somehow I don't see that as an excuse, because as a bigger company they have more resources at their disposal.  This has been going on in a major way for well over a week, and B&N can't even let THEIR STORES know what's going on.  CS is still relatively in the dark.  We haven't seen any updates here in the forums.

This is my point exactly!  The above is an example of great customer service vs poor customer service due to lack of communication on many levels.

My last conversation on the phone with a B&N CSM was Thursday afternoon.  I started getting huffy and took a step back and told the guy- I'm sorry...my frustration is not with you...it's with B&N.  I say this not to make myself look good...but to make the point that some people let their feelings run and then the CSM gets run over!

Come on B&N...do you value your customers that are affected?

DCLOVELL
0 Kudos

I was just told from B&N "there is no turnaround time.  They are still working on a fix for the known situation."

The saga continues...LOL

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,247
Solutions: 18

Leading from the top of the organization ...

keriflur wrote:

It's against company policy.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

Re: Leading from the top of the organization ...

DeanGibson wrote:

keriflur wrote:

It could be.  I've worked some places where everything is played extremely close to the vest.  One agency wouldn't even tell us who was being offered a position, even though it's considered public information.  This is the same agency that would send out an email to everyone in the department saying that an officer took a report on stalking and that we should immediately send an officer to help this person if they call again, but would only ever put the person's initials in the email.  How are we supposed to know who CS is?

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
keriflur
0 Kudos

kamas716 wrote:

DeanGibson wrote:

keriflur wrote:

It could be.  I've worked some places where everything is played extremely close to the vest.  One agency wouldn't even tell us who was being offered a position, even though it's considered public information.  This is the same agency that would send out an email to everyone in the department saying that an officer took a report on stalking and that we should immediately send an officer to help this person if they call again, but would only ever put the person's initials in the email.  How are we supposed to know who CS is?

From what little Sam could say about things when she was the forum mod, it really is against company policy.

Thing is, the company sets their own policy, and they need to change it.

nlstein
0 Kudos

It will be fixed when it's fixed and not moment sooner. If they give us a date or time and miss it (likely with software) some one here will scream that they lied. Seems to me they've admitted there's a problem and that they're working on it. Give them a break. This may not be rocket science but it ain't easy stuff either.
MacBoy
keriflur

nlstein wrote:
It will be fixed when it's fixed and not moment sooner. If they give us a date or time and miss it (likely with software) some one here will scream that they lied. Seems to me they've admitted there's a problem and that they're working on it. Give them a break. This may not be rocket science but it ain't easy stuff either.

Did you miss that they're already lying, and have been, because they keep giving dates that they then miss?

I'm not asking for a date, I'm asking for information about what's happened and what's being done to fix it.

And here's the thing - I don't have this issue with my NST, but I'm still concerned that the next issue will affect me, or the one after that, and I don't want to be left in the dark.  And for all the people currently having this issue?  Don't they deserve better?

A lot of these people with the issue are new nook owners - here's B&N's chance to make a good impression.  FAIL.  And for those that are good customers already, here's B&N's chance to show them they care.  FAIL again.

nlstein
0 Kudos

If you're so upset with B&N failing than I suggest you get some other ebook from a company that's more responsive to your desires. For me, I'll wait patently untill they sort out the problem.
MacBoy
bobstro

[ Edited ]

Unless B&N is providing refunds, making other compensation or at least communicating in a forthright manner, people have every right to complain about not to be getting what they've paid for.

DCLOVELL

[ Edited ]

If their non-answers and with holding information to their own employees is company policy, then they do need to change.

As far as the lying, I called Nook Tech Support on Monday 8/20/12 and was told that by Wednesday they would have the issue fixed. 

While I still have my defective NST-battery issue, (the non-synching unit is a warranty replacement), and it is synching fine.  I want to get it returned and get this situation in the past.  I'm just glad that I did not de-register the defective unit or I would really be upset......