Contributor
tikibar
0 Kudos

Re: Library won't sync to new NST w/glowlight

bobstro wrote:

Good to see the issue being resolved. I can't imagine having CNet chime in did anything less to make it a priority, squeaky wheels and all that.

I agree

I suspect "Buy any book online, and 98.6% of the time it will automatically be available on your NOOK Simple Touch" won't help sales much.

too funny!  But agree that that won't help sales.

I hope you folks get 100% of your purchases on all your devices!

If only certain titles, or types of pubs get "stuck", it'd be a good idea to track those details to aid in troubleshooting.

I have noticed no rhyme or reason regarding our 'stuck' books.  I see no pattern or anything similar about them.  I'm not gonna worry about it; 5 out of 300+ is no big deal in my book (no pun intended) ... I'll side-load 'em.

Contributor
trabri89
0 Kudos

It worked!!  I was a little worried but I erased/deregistered and then re-registered my account and POOF all my books showed up in my library.  Whew -- I feel so much better now. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

[ Edited ]

Larry writes "I would hope that the reporting on the issue would NOT cause B&N to rush an incompletely tested fix into production."

I didn't see where I'd said anything about incomplete testing.

By definition, testing and its completeness are irrelevant to PHBs.  PHBs thrive on meetings, clustering together for warmth, sustenance and treats. 

They prefer not to have meetings with folks whose presentations require thinking;  the good meeting and the good nap are, after all, nearly indistinguishable. 

So getting PHBs to move quickly on technical topics is challenging.  Not unlike many species of bacteria, noxious stimuli are valuable in this regard.

News coverage of BN not written based on press releases issued by BN is mildly noxious.  News coverage written based on forum kvetching?  Highly noxious, especially when some of the kvetchers are experienced teachers and developers of software and some kvetchers are providing device level logging and others very thorough user level logging. 

That kind of news coverage will convene meetings.  If the technical team had a fix at around tee time last Thursday, I suspect the meeting to address it would normally have happened on Wednesday. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,312
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

Timing coincidence?

[ Edited ]

DeanGibson wrote:

My Nook Touch and Nook Glow went up for sale [last Saturday] on Craigslist.  ....

ps:  I've previously sold Nooks (3G, Touch, and Color) on Craigslist within a day or two.  This time, no bites in two days (over a good weekend, with school starting soon).  Makes me wonder if the word isn't getting around ...

No inquiries from Saturday until today.  Less twelve hours after the announcement, I've sold the Nook Glow ($120) and have an inquiry on the Nook Touch.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Distinguished Correspondent
nlstein
0 Kudos

Re: Timing coincidence?

Dean,

Just so that I have this right, hours after the news finally appeared in the press (both news that Nook had a problem and news that they issued a fix) people wanted to or already bought your used Nooks.

So I would guess the question is, do these people like buying broken things or do they think they are getting a bargain on things that are getting a software fix? I wonder which it is?

Either way, congratulations.

MacBoy
DCLOVELL
0 Kudos

Success...!  Looks like all of my library is there.  I have downloaded everything.  Now on to reshelving...checking the page syncs on the books I have been reading.  Looks like I may be doing this instead of reading during lunch.  I'm just glad this has been fixed and I can send my defective unit back.

Thanks B&N.

bobstro
0 Kudos

So was the fix implemented by B&N system-wide, or did they work on individual accounts that reported issues? I Do we know?
New User
simnia95
0 Kudos

Everything is good to go now on my NSTG. There was that slight hiccup with the books showing on the nook but not dowloading but that resolved itself later in the day.

Luckily, I did not lose any titles like some people have.

Contributor
Emma_KC

[ Edited ]

Yay, my library sync'd!  

Many thanks to the folks who fixed the library sync issue.  

Many, many thanks to my fellow Nook peeps who spent time troubleshooting and reporting your experiences on this forum.  You rock!  

Alex, your communication as the B&N rep on this board was helpful.  Next time pipe up sooner, though, ok?  

CNET, thanks for doing what you do.  Keep up the good work.

Nook Support, I hope you make some big improvements.  The future of the Nook products depend on more than just the usability of the products themselves.  Trouble, real or perceived, is inevitable and when a customer comes to you for help, that customer remembers how well -- or how poorly -- s/he was treated during the resolution.  Good customer service matters.  You failed miserably this time.  Take some time to review this whole scenario objectively.  Make a plan for the next 'server problem' that comes up.  You can do better.  

Kudos to the employees at the B&N store in Champaign, IL.  You were very helpful and did what (little) you could during these three frustrating weeks.  You could teach Nook Support how to provide good customer service.  My local B&N store is the real reason I continue to be a loyal Nook reader.  

I'm happy the library sync problem is finally resolved.  Time to go read my Nook.

nlstein
0 Kudos

After two weeks of having a problem cnet finally ran a story. I will not believe that their story has anything to do with getting the problem fixed. It would mean that BN held back on the fix until it became news.

I too am glad the problem is fixed, but I believe it was fixed when BN had a fix and not to stop cnet from running any more stories or that cnet had anything to do about it
MacBoy
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

nlstein wrote:

I too am glad the problem is fixed, but I believe it was fixed when BN had a fix and not to stop cnet from running any more stories or that cnet had anything to do about it

Or maybe they released the fix as soon as they had it, but hadn't even bothered to start working on it until there was a threat that the problem would create a public relations disaster, one that would coincide with an Amazon slam-dunk.  

It makes little sense, I agree.

But I much prefer that situation to one in which a team of software engineers released a change which broke functionality for new customers, knew about it, did not allow CSRs to share that knowleddge with customers - just don't tell the CSRs, then they can't tell customers! - and took three plus weeks to fix it.  

You are undoubtedly right, but I find it so sad that it's funny.  Normal at B&N -- remember when they obliterated NOOK Colors or when they released an N1E update containing no noticeable changes except the inability to read SD cards that had previously been read and were advertised as readable?-- not anywhere else.  

I *think* the NOOK Color issue was resolved fairly quickly.  The N1E issue, not so much.  I believe it was just about two weeks - and as an affected NOOK user, I just moved books to main memory and read them (it was a first world problem after all) but many, many people were furious.

B&N has far too many hardware/software issues and seems to have either:

• no sense of urgency about fixes or
  • a lack of competence in their software development team or
  • a woefully inadequate number of staff on the software development/engineering/QA teams

The first (unlikely) scenario means there is always a possibility that B&N might not repeat these errors.  The second scenario suggests that it won't ever get better - if they've been through the mentioned three major errors and a multitude of minor errors without a systemic improvement one could reasonably conclude that B&N will not bother to dedicate the necessary resources to QA to prevent future FUBARs.

You are probably almost certainly right, but it doesn't mean a single good thing for B&N or its customers. 

flyingtoastr
Topics: 52
Kudos: 2,855
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Or, maybe option 4: it was a hard bug to track down. Or option 5: there wasn't an easy fix (maybe they could have fixed it easily but it would have nuked the affected libraries or something) and some type of work around had to be developed and tested. Or about a billion other possibilities. Not everything is BN trying to screw you over.

Every tech company has bugs. Remember the time Amazon took down half the internet because one of their servers had a feedback loop bug that never should have happened? It isn't some grand conspiracy theory, and BN isn't out to get you.

bobstro

flyingtoastr wrote:

[...] It isn't some grand conspiracy theory, and BN isn't out to get you.

Not intentionally. They are, however, very good at doing it unintentionally!

nlstein
0 Kudos

No, it wasn't a conspiracy. Yes, BN is still learning how to work with consumer electronics customers (after all, they are pretty new at it) and they have a lot to learn (remember, they were just a book store until the Nook which wasn't that long ago). 

I think this latest mess will go a long way to teaching the lessons needed and I love the back and forth between BN and Amazon since we all win from the improvements from both companies. 

And, I think that if you don't think they will learn or if they really are out to get you or they don't really care if you like them or not, you should get rid of your Nook and then leave this forum. 

This thread is now 18 pages long, the problem that started it seems to have been fixed, and the subject should be closed and our attention put other places - like continuing to complain about the lack of apparent development of software updates for the NST and NSTG to fix things like the shelving problem. 

Enough beating this dead horse and let's move on please. 

MacBoy
bobstro

Now that we finally know how you feel, I'm sure your suggestions will be given all due merit. Thank you so much for being so not helpful during this thread.
nlstein
0 Kudos

It's good to know that a dissenting opinion is welcome. It's nice to know that you don't have to agree with everyone to be able to express your own thoughts and have them considered and not just disregarded. 

What a great group! And no one has any ego or expresses a thinly disguised comment or snide remark. 

I still think this thread is at an end. The problem that started it seems fixed. If supporters of the forum want to discuss other subjects they can certainly do so but IMHO it should be in a new thread.

Thanks again. 

MacBoy
DCLOVELL
0 Kudos

nlstein wrote:

It's good to know that a dissenting opinion is welcome. It's nice to know that you don't have to agree with everyone to be able to express your own thoughts and have them considered and not just disregarded. 

What a great group! And no one has any ego or expresses a thinly disguised comment or snide remark. 

I still think this thread is at an end. The problem that started it seems fixed. If supporters of the forum want to discuss other subjects they can certainly do so but IMHO it should be in a new thread.

Thanks again. 

I agree 100% here and I thank all who helped with this.  As said earlier...BN is still pretty new at the electronics side and I think that they are learning and are doing well all things considered.  My issue was lack of communication which can happen with any company.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

nlstein wrote:

And, I think that if you don't think they will learn or if they really are out to get you or they don't really care if you like them or not, you should get rid of your Nook and then leave this forum. 

Why?  

I still use my NOOK daily.  I like it - because I found a way to make it work for me.  I don't buy many B&N books because they display some serious inadequacies (and this makes me somewhat sad; their version of DRM is far superior to Google's or Kobo's implementation) but I do think the device works extremely well.  Why would I be so environmentally irresponsible as to throw it in landfill because its manufacurer/seller is incompetent.

I'm also not sure I think it does B&N any service if the only participants on the forum are fanboys; I'm nearly positive that without some of their detractors who still participate this forum they wouldn't have been able to fix several of their previous FUBARs - at the very least, those fixes would have been much (more) delayed.

I'm completely baffled that one would think that the forums should only consist of those who think B&N can do no wrong.

keriflur

To those who want this thread to end - if you'd quit posting and pushing it to the top, it would.
nlstein
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

If you read carefully I never said this forum should only have fanboys. In fact, I've mentioned several times that most people here seem to not like their Nook or BN. 

I'm just suggesting that if you really don't like the product or the service you might consider changing to another product and company rather than just complaining.

Don't be baffled - I think I have been very clear.

Constructive criticism is welcome! Telling BN they don't know what they are doing or that you know how to do it better isn't constructive. I think that opinion is very clear also. 

BTW, I don't understand why you would put a line through something I wrote when others have said the same thing. 

And yes, if people would just stop writing about this and just get over it the thread would die. 

MacBoy