Frequent Contributor
JEB63

List of issues with new Nook Simple Reader (N2E)

#1  MAC Address:  The first thing I noticed was during the initial set up, it would not let you proceed past a certain point unless it connected to a network.  Because my network is locked down by MAC address, it was unable to connect.  Looking on the box and on the back of the unit, the MAC address could not be found.  Most networkable devices these days will put the MAC in the box or the back of a device.  Why B&N did not do this is beyond me.  In order to find my MAC, I had to scan all the MACs within range (I live across from a college campus and near an office park -- LOTS of MACs show up), power down the Nook, and scan again.  Due to other devices appearing and disappearing, I had to do this a few times to get the MAC so I could add it to my Access List for my network.  Grabbed the old PTouch labeler and put a label on the back of the unit with the S/N and MAC.  Once you have a network set up and connected, when you finish the setup you can then go in to the Settings and find the MAC of the Nook.

#2  Deleting things: It appears I cannot get rid of any files from the Nook screen interface.  I have to delete things using my PC.  WHY?  I shouldn't have to do it that way.

#3  PDFs:  At first, I was unable to open the PDFs I had side loaded onto my Nook.  After power cycling the Nook, I was able to open the files, but for some odd reason, the Nook created several additional and strange file names in the Library.  After some investigating, it appears that these are shortcuts to the PDFs in My Files.  Under My Files, the files have the correct names.  Under just the overall Library itself, the file names are messed up.

#4  Content Not Supported:  In the Library, when I clicked on the drop down menu and selected "Everything Else", I saw two books loaded under a heading "Content Not Supported on This Device". Remeber, this is a brand new unit.  I did not put these files there.  They must have been put there by B&N. If the files are not supported by this device, WHY DID B&N PUT THEM THERE?

#5  Support for 802.11n:  The Nook says it supports wireless N.  It certainly does not appear to support dual band, so it must only support it at 2.4 GHz.  Wireless N at 2.4 GHz is kind of hamstrung and creates/suffers from a lot of interference issues.  My home network runs wireless N at 5 GHz, where no one else causes problems and I can use the full potential of 802.11n.  To support the Nook, I had to break out my obsolete wireless G stuff which runs at 2.4 GHz. But, I half expected this would happen.

#6  Ghost images:  I noticed right away that I was seeing lines and other images from previous screens.  The new Pearl e-Ink screen was supposed to eleminate this.  Maybe it will get better with time.

#7  Reflow of PDFs/PDF readability:  The New Nook, just like the old ones, does not completely support PDF files.  If your PDF has anything in it such as tables, drawings, etc. they WILL PROBABLY NOT READ CORRECTLYThis is a big issue for me and may be the ultimate deal breaker.  It caused me to return all my previous Nooks.  I had hoped that they would have learned from the previous gaffes and fixed this blatant issue.

I have decided that the strange file names noted in #3 and the lack of complete PDF support are indeed deal breakers.  Everything else I could live with to some degree.

• I CAN'T be searching through strange and garbly file names to find what I want/need. 

• I MUST be able to read the PDF just as it shows using Adobe Reader.  That includes tables and drawings.

Sorry B&N, but the new Nook is a swing and a miss for me.  It is little more than the old Nook in a new case. 

Fix at least those two major issues and maybe we can do business.

Reader 2
krgp
0 Kudos

Re: List of issues with new Nook Simple Reader (N2E)

Syncing of notes/highlights/bookmarks/last page read

My biggest disappointment with my new N2E is that it doesn't sync with my other apps (nookstudy, iphone, ipad) like the N1E. Why on Earth did they remove this functionality? And why didn't they mention that the functionality would be gone? I'm so close to returning the machine.

They syncing is WHY I bought it! Any thoughts? Am I missing something?

Inspired Correspondent
mpclemens
0 Kudos

Finding the MAC address before completing the setup is discussed in this topic in the regular forum.

Inspired Correspondent
Big_Dave_H
0 Kudos

This is an interesting list of issues.  The garbled PDF names may be due to the Nook reading the attributes instead of reading the file names. 

I am also reading disturbing things about the touch screen not working as the battery drops into the 70% range and about how the memory is partioned.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

krgp wrote:

My biggest disappointment with my new N2E is that it doesn't sync with my other apps (nookstudy, iphone, ipad) like the N1E. Why on Earth did they remove this functionality? And why didn't they mention that the functionality would be gone? I'm so close to returning the machine.

Not sure you're missing something as I don't have the N2, but I've never been able to sync my N1 with my iPad.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

krgp wrote:

I don't think they removed this functionality, it's just that a lot of the units are having trouble with it (see the numerous syncing issue threads).  B&N is aware of the issue (as per a poster in one of those threads).  This is something that can be fixed via a software update.

Contributor
NWRogue

My biggest issue so far: no ability to set a screensaver password, so I can lock my N2E 

Inspired Correspondent
Big_Dave_H
0 Kudos

Software locking has been an issue for a while.  Something B & N should have addressed in the new unit. 

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

NWRogue wrote:

My biggest issue so far: no ability to set a screensaver password, so I can lock my N2E 

You can set a password for purchases though, would that address some of your concerns?

Contributor
NWRogue
0 Kudos

Not really, as that password is not easily remembered.  And I'm not real crazy about resetting my B&N account password to something that is not as strong.

I really do not see why they cannot have a locking feature for the device.  My wife's Nook Color allows her to set a PIN that she has to enter whenever it goes to sleep or she has to hit the power button.  This device needs that feature if you ask me.  

Thanks for the idea though. :smileyhappy:

RHWright
0 Kudos

JEB63 wrote: 

#7  Reflow of PDFs/PDF readability:  The New Nook, just like the old ones, does not completely support PDF files.  If your PDF has anything in it such as tables, drawings, etc. they WILL PROBABLY NOT READ CORRECTLYThis is a big issue for me and may be the ultimate deal breaker.  It caused me to return all my previous Nooks.  I had hoped that they would have learned from the previous gaffes and fixed this blatant issue.

• I MUST be able to read the PDF just as it shows using Adobe Reader.  That includes tables and drawings.

The manipulation and reading of PDFs (display, pan, zoom, etc) has been brought up numerous times by people as a significant feature they are looking for in a dedicated eReader.

To my knowledge, no dedicated eReader on the market (NOOK or otherwise) has this feature at the level people seem to desire, as indicated in their comments. Does anyone know of one?

Also, given my limited technical knowledge of how PDF/Adobe Reader/etc work, is it even technically feasible to get PDFs to display properly on a display that is only 6" (or thereabouts)?

For those of you who see superior PDF support as essential, would you be willing to make a trade-off in size/compactness for that feature?

Personally, I don't have this one on my "dealbreaker" list, but I know it is important to many.

Any thoughts?

Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

RHWright wrote:

JEB63 wrote: 

The manipulation and reading of PDFs (display, pan, zoom, etc) has been brought up numerous times by people as a significant feature they are looking for in a dedicated eReader.

To my knowledge, no dedicated eReader on the market (NOOK or otherwise) has this feature at the level people seem to desire, as indicated in their comments. Does anyone know of one?

Also, given my limited technical knowledge of how PDF/Adobe Reader/etc work, is it even technically feasible to get PDFs to display properly on a display that is only 6" (or thereabouts)?

For those of you who see superior PDF support as essential, would you be willing to make a trade-off in size/compactness for that feature?

Personally, I don't have this one on my "dealbreaker" list, but I know it is important to many.

Any thoughts?

The new Kobo seems to do a decent job although I imagine it's probably fairly sluggish. The Kindle also does this but panning around on the zoomed document using the buttons is awkward, to say the least.

Inspired Correspondent
Big_Dave_H
0 Kudos

RHWright wrote:

There have been a few.  Probably the closest thing to what he is looking for would be something like the models the military was testing.  They had much better PDF handling ability, but were a bit larger IIRC. 

I was able to get the new Nook to display PDFs correctly if I set the font to the second to lowest setting, but then the document borders on unreadable. 

My personal opinion:  I think there is a siginficant and largely ignored market out there of people who need to read technical and professional documents (PDFs) and do not want to lug around a laptop. 

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

Question about actual issues I've read so far from those using the N2E. Are the two major things the unit freezing and the touch screen not working? Those seem to be the two I've seen most often. Any word fro BN on fixes yet?

Lisa (still on the fence)

Inspired Correspondent
Big_Dave_H
0 Kudos

Sync issues, touch screen issues, unit freezing -- those seem to be three big ones outside of the PDF handling.

I have not bought one of the N2E yet, but I did get a chance to play with one.  IMHO the unit is "glitchy".  I tried a couple things once and the first time it did not work, but the second time, doing it the same way, it did work.  Sometimes the unit seemed to need a reboot to find files.  The unit appears to only support DHCP, so if you have a network which requires static IPs, you may be out of luck.  Wireless N is 2.4 GHz only, but that is not uncommon for most devices.  One person reported problems with WPA2-AES security and had to use WPA2-TKIP. 

No word from B & N that I have seen on any of the issues

keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Big_Dave_H wrote:

My personal opinion:  I think there is a siginficant and largely ignored market out there of people who need to read technical and professional documents (PDFs) and do not want to lug around a laptop. 

It seems like a tablet would be best for this market.  The large, flat surface of the ipad seems like it would be great for this.  I would hope that, even with the Apple/Adobe war about flash, you'd be able to find a good pdf reading/editing application for the ipad.  (I'm not an Apple person so I don't really know what you can and can't do with the thing.)

Inspired Correspondent
Big_Dave_H
0 Kudos

A tablet is overkill.  A simple eReader with good PDF capability would definitely fill a market section.  We are talking about people who simply need to be able to read documents, not do much computing.  With an eInk screen for use in bright light.  Such a device would be less than half the price of a tablet. 

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Kindle DX?

[ Edited ]

Big_Dave_H wrote:

Isn't this exactly the market the Kindle DX serves?

Does anyone know how well they sell?  At $379 they're expensive, which probably deters some potential buyers. 

Inspired Correspondent
Big_Dave_H
0 Kudos

Re: Kindle DX?

[ Edited ]

At $379, the Kindle DX is priced more in the tablet range.  The Kindle WiFi 6" is more what I was talking about and is the direct competitor to the new Nook. The Kindle WiFi boasts much better PDF support than the new Nook.   An issue is that Kindle will not take an SD card (though it has 4 GB internal compared to the Nook's nominal 2 GB).

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Re: Kindle DX?

[ Edited ]

Then the market isn't being ignored, it just seems that perhaps B&N doesn't seem to be interested in it.  If Kindle does what you say it does (and I have no reason to doubt you) those that want better pdf support are well-served by Kindle, no?

The OP would likely not be happy with Kindle Wifi as he wants his pdfs exactly as his computer displays them.  Panning and zooming are unlikely to satisfy him - he seems to need the Kindle DX.