Inspired Correspondent
Big_Dave_H
0 Kudos

Re: Kindle DX?

Ya_ya wrote:

say it does exactly what "ignored market" needs.

I did not say it is exactly what the market needs.  I said it is more like what I was envisioning for that market.

Ya_Ya wrote:

those that want better pdf support are well-served by Kindle, no?

I would say they would be better served by the Kindle, not necessarily "well-served".

Ya_Ya wrote:

The OP would likely not be happy with Kindle as he wants his pdfs exactly as his computer displays them.  Panning and zooming are unlikely to satisfy him - he seems to need the Kindle DX.

I am not here to bash or defend the OP.  Yes, the Kindle DX may be closer to his needs.  His needs or wants and what I was envisioning may be similar, but possibly not the same.  If I were buying an eReader simply for PDF support in the $100-$140 price range, I would choose the Kindle WiFi over the new Nook.

Scribe
frantastk
0 Kudos

Re: Kindle DX?

Big_Dave_H wrote:

I am not here to bash or defend the OP.  Yes, the Kindle DX may be closer to his needs.  His needs or wants and what I was envisioning may be similar, but possibly not the same.  If I were buying an eReader simply for PDF support in the $100-$140 price range, I would choose the Kindle WiFi over the new Nook.

From the few reviews I've read and the videos online, the new Kobo seems to deal with pdfs better than the Kindle. Pdfs really do need a larger screen than 6" can accomodate to render them properly, though. Pan and zoom is fine but to see the pdf the way it was meant to be seen, as a whole page format, I would think a larger reader would be needed. 

I personally don't have many pdfs and the ones I have seem to work fine on my nook (I have the NE1). The opan and zoom on the Kobo does look pretty neat, though. For techincal mauals, I'd want the bigger screen.

Reader
jackcarter75
0 Kudos

Re: List of issues with new Nook Simple Reader (N2E)

I am having an issue with the shop on the new nook. I try to buy a book from my wish list and none of my books are there. I go to the website and there they all are. There are two different lists on the website a wish list and an ebook wishlist. The new nook only has a wishlist no ebook wishlist its really weird andyone else have this problem

Distinguished Wordsmith
sygram
0 Kudos

Currently both the N2E and NOOK Color do not sync their respecive wish lists with the website.

Contributor
J_O_E_Y
0 Kudos

The problem I have is that I have moved the MicroSD card from my NC to my new N2E.  I can see all of the book in the My Files section of the library and can read them no problem.  I can make shelves and even add books to the shelves.  But when I come back to the shelf the books are no longer found there.  I have rebooted the nook to no avail.  I have removed the card and reinserted.  I have seen that others say the books on their memory cards are able to be seen on the shelves.  Is there something I am missing here?  Love the N2E...just a bit frustrated that I can't figure this our.

Thanks for any input.

Inspired Correspondent
Big_Dave_H
0 Kudos

Try copying all the books of the SD card onto a computer.  Then, use the N2E to reformat the SD.  Transfer the books back.  Load the books into My File - Books.

New User
TheChefSLC
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The main issue I am currently having with my new nook, is that it seems to overly hyphenate words. This is more of an anoyance than anything but still, it would be nice to just read the whole word and not have to read part then switch to a new line. There is no need to hyphenate the words when its an eink screen, it does not cost more to publish the book, or use more paper. if there is no room, just have it go to the next line.

Contributor
J_O_E_Y
0 Kudos

Copied my books back to my pc and then reformatted the card.  Same issue.  Any of the books I moved to the onboard nook memory work just fine on the shelves.  Just the books on the sd card.  Is it possible that the nook needs, and can, be reset?  And if so might that fix the issue?  Or does anyone know if there is something more to this than just copying the books to the sd card, making the shelves, populating the shelves, and reading the books?

As I have said before this is not a deal breaker for me, am just interested in being able to use the N2E to the fullest possible.

Thanks for any assistance.

Joe

Contributor
J_O_E_Y
0 Kudos

TheChefSLC

Have you tried changing the font size to see if that make any difference?  I had that issue with a couple of the books on my NC and that turned out the be part of the problem.  Also had a couple where they did that after being ran through Calibre.

Joey

New User
TheChefSLC
0 Kudos

i have changed the font type and size, the margin, and also the spacing. nothing seems to correct the words being hyphenated all the time. 

I cannot figure out what it is. the latest book i read had them throughout half of the book, (the first half) then was fine through the rest.  It could be the epubs i am using though it happens on some of my purchased books through B&N.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 53 members 250 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: