Frequent Contributor
Toreth
0 Kudos

Load books via the Nook for Mac

My daughter has no wifi in her dorm room.  Can she load the files with the Nook app on her computer? If so, how would you go about it? 

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Re: Load books via the Nook for Mac

Toreth wrote:

My daughter has no wifi in her dorm room.  Can she load the files with the Nook app on her computer? If so, how would you go about it? 

She just needs to configure the NOOK app on her Mac to connect to her B&N account.

She then needs to download the eBooks to her Mac, they will be placed in the directory "username"/Documents/My Barnes & Noble eBooks/"email address"

From there the can copy them to her NOOK when she plugs it into the USB port on her Mac. She does not need any special application to do the copying. The NOOK will appear the same as any other external storage device attached to her computer.

After properly ejecting her NOOK from the Mac desktop she will be able to open the books on her NOOK. The first time she attempts to do so, she might be asked to enter the credit card information for the default credit card on her account at the time of the download.

Please be aware that the B&N Nook application does not work on Mountain Lion (Mac OS 10.8) at this time, so if she needs to do this she can not upgrade the OS yet.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Note that the books that are sideloaded this way will go into the smaller storage partition on the NST (I think it's around 250mb).  If she's going to load a lot of books this way, she should probably get a micro SD card.

Also, if she does connect to wifi, the books will appear twice on the nook - once for the sideloaded copy and once for the copy in the B&N library.  Only the five most recent purchases will automatically download, but the others will appear with a download link next to them.

Distinguished Correspondent
nlstein
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Not sure if this will help but....

While Nook for Mac might not be ready for Mountain Lion (I had trouble with it under Lion also) Nook Study for Mac works fine (at least on my iMac) and you could most likely use the same method for side loading as suggested above.

MacBoy
Frequent Contributor
Toreth
0 Kudos

Thanks everyone.  I appreciate the help.