New User
Emita
0 Kudos

Lost + deactivated my nook, using mom's: can I use my B&N account to purchase my own books?

[ Edited ]

Like subject says. I had my simple touch stolen a month or two ago, and followed the support steps to remove my credit card and deactivate the hardware, however I still have a "nook"/barnes&noble.com account which I assume gives me "cloud" access to my purchased library.

Is it possible to sign in to my own B&N account on her nook hardware so that I can purchase my own books and subsequently access them on my own nook when I buy a replacement?

Inspired Wordsmith
petesnook
0 Kudos

Re: Lost + deactivated my nook, using mom's: can I use my B&N account to purchase my own books?

Sorry about your stolen nook. That's got to be a bummer.

Unfortunately, you cannot use your mom's nook unless you erase and regegister it, which she probably would not appreciate. You can, however, log in to your account online at bn.com and buy books from there. They will be available to you when you purchase a replacement nook. They and your existing books will also be available on the Nook for PC application on a PC.

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro

Re: Lost + deactivated my nook, using mom's: can I use my B&N account to purchase my own books?

If you download your books using NOOK for PC, you can sideload them onto your mom's NOOK. You'll have to enter your name and CC# as used on your original account once to unlock them, but after that, you'll be able to access them on her device (assuming they're otherwise compatible with it).

New User
Emita
0 Kudos

I've since changed my credit card but I assume that it will just authenticate with whatever card is currently active with my account, therefore i plan to add my new one to my BN account then do as you suggested - I had never tried using the nook for pc program before, interesting functionality.

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

Download with the latest CC#, then enter that same info on your mom's NOOK when you sideload them. 

Frequent Contributor
Davan
0 Kudos

If your Mom has an HD or HD+ you can have her create a user for you on her NOOK and then you can sign into that user account and associate it with your NOOK account and all is good.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Davan wrote:

If your Mom has an HD or HD+ you can have her create a user for you on her NOOK and then you can sign into that user account and associate it with your NOOK account and all is good.

I'll have to check over the weekend, but I don't think that's the way the profiles work on the HD.  IIRC the different profiles are limited the content of the account the device is registered under.

Looking at the user guide it says under The Primary Profile "All purchases made on the NOOK are processed using the payment method associate with this profile."  It looks like the individual profiles will only have access to the items associated with the primary profile that the primary has selected for them to have access to.  I don't know of a way to put two different accounts on the one device.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Frequent Contributor
Davan
0 Kudos

Thanks Kamas, I have not played with this feature but thought it was like setting up users on a computer where each user was unique entity.