Contributor
arethusa
0 Kudos

Magazines on Nook Glow

I use a Nook Glow with an SD card for my own files; BN books (and some of my own) are on the Glow memory.  I recently bought a Nook HD+, loaded many of my BN books and a lot of my own.  Everything worked, I use both readers.  Then I subscribed to some magazines; I thought they would only appear on the tablet, but those without pictures - Nation, Time, New Republic - also show up on my Glow.  I don't want them there - they take up space that I need.  The only way I have to get rid of them is to delete them or archive them, which takes them off my tablet.  That's ok; I don't want to keep them forever, but I'd rather not have them on the Glow ever.  Is there a way to accomplish this?

I bought the tablet for easy carrying around to read email, follow a few blogs, and read magazines without having to deal with the paper issues, which sometimes hang around my house too long.  I am disappointed that the Nooks seem to want to connect magazines if they don't have many pictures - it's a waste of space.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener

Re: Magazines on Nook Glow

You are going to have to fiddle around a bit to do this. The NST (and pretty sure the NSTGlw, since same software) automatically download your last 5 or 6 purchaes every time you turn on wifi and connect to store. Which is why some of us leave wifi always off, unless ready to download. Somedays it feels like a battle of wills. 

Put both devices in front of you. See what magazines are on the NSTG. From the HD, archive those issues If you get a lot of magazines, it  might be easier to archive anything remotely recent so it doesnt teapper on NSTG. . On the NSTG, turn on wifi and sync. NST usually tries to download 5/6 most recent at ths point. Depending on quantity and whats most recent, this is where you have to "fiddle." While youre at it, download any other books you want on your NSTG (even if dont think going to get to them for awhile.) After NSTG is cleaned up, turn off wifi. Goback to HD. Unarchive and redownload your magazines.

On Issue board, have submitted request that b&n include option to turn off autodownload. Doubt they'll implement it, but worth a try. Hope that helps.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

Also be aware that the magazines on the glow are a sifferent and smaller edition than those on the hd.  Even a 'print-only' mag on the hd can easily be 20+ meg per copy, while the same issue on the glow is 1-2 meg.

Magazines on the glow are kept in the hidden 1 gig partition, not the visible 240 meg slice for files you copy in.

Finally, if you'd like all your stuff on your sdcard so you can easily back it up or manage it with Calibre, take a look at http://nookworks.blogspot.com where I have a walkthrough on setting your library to be saved to your card.

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Contributor
arethusa
0 Kudos

Ah, thought I'd have to do something like that. Thanks for the tip about downloading practices; I wish it was easier to get these details from BN -so much is secretive.
Contributor
arethusa
0 Kudos

Thanks, I'll take a look. I use Calibre for a lot of my own files, but never thought it could be used for BN books. It's all a big date fiddle, but worth it for easy, portable reading.
Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Since you have a HD device and you use calibre anyway, take a visit to the HD forum. If you are using tags at all, theres an app called Calibre Companion that makes sideloading easier AND you can see your tags! Think its $3 or so, but well worth it.  compulsivereader has explained it a lot. An easy way to find the posts is thru the "tags" option on the forum - the first one is "calibre." You can learn more than you ever wanted to about calibre and really "fiddle."