Contributor
jlariviere
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Major issues with 1.2.0

After my nook updated to to 1.2.0, I can no longer access the internal storage; I can no longer add wallpapers, etc.  

If I reboot my nook, under Device Info, it shows Available storage with a number, when I plug it into a USB port in my computer, it chanes to Not available, and my computer shows says there is no card installed.  

I don't mean to be rude, but when will the software be fixed, instead of being made worse?

Please update and fix the software.

Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

Re: Major issues with 1.2.0

Somethign else is going on; this isn't just because of the update.

I have had no problem with my sd card (for sideloading) or internal memory (for changing my custom screensaver images to leave room for the "press n to wake up your nook" message) since the update.

Try another cable and another computer.  Also, try another usb port on your current computer.

Contributor
jlariviere
0 Kudos

Thanks for the ideas...  

I used to be able to use the internal storage, now I can't.  

I tried plugging in the nook to a different port, and using different cables.  

It didn't work.  

The internal storage displayed briefly, then went away and became unavailable.  

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,244
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

jlariviere wrote:

After my nook updated to to 1.2.0, I can no longer access the internal storage; I can no longer add wallpapers, etc.  

If I reboot my nook, under Device Info, it shows Available storage with a number, when I plug it into a USB port in my computer, it chanes to Not available, and my computer shows says there is no card installed.  

I don't mean to be rude, but when will the software be fixed, instead of being made worse?

When you connect a stock Nook (not sure about the HD/+ ones) to a PC via USB, you should not be able to do ANYTHING on the Nook until you unplug the USB cable.  One thing that happens is that the Nook unmounts the internal memory fro the Nook's operating system, and connects it to the PC.  When you unmount the Nook's memory on the PC (or disconnect the USB cable), the memory is remounted and becomes visible again.  There are various technical reasons for this being done, including avoiding memory corruption.

Had you rooted your Nook or (via similar means) "enabled debugging" (normally not a visible option)???

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

jlariviere wrote:

I would agree there appears to be something else going on, I've had no issues with my NST since the upgrade, and neither has my mother.    Also, this is the first report of this behavior that I've seen here, if it was an issue with the update, by know there would be quite a few posts about this.

I'm not sure when you say, plug it in and it changes to Not Available, are you referring to the device info on the Nook.  If so, as previously stated, you shouldn't be able to do anything on the NST until you eject it from the computer.  Are you properly ejecting the Nook from the computer before disconnecting the USB cable?

Contributor
jlariviere
0 Kudos

It is stock, non-rooted.  

On the nook, it briefly displays the message that it's connected to the PC, which comes and goes a few times, it settles down and displays the regular screen.  On the nook, under settings, device info, the internal storage is unavailable, and on the pc it is also unavailable.  

Frequent Contributor
Larryb52
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Frequent Contributor
geertm

jlariviere wrote:

It is stock, non-rooted.  

On the nook, it briefly displays the message that it's connected to the PC, which comes and goes a few times, it settles down and displays the regular screen.  On the nook, under settings, device info, the internal storage is unavailable, and on the pc it is also unavailable.  

If you get the regular screen instead of the connected to PC screen than something is wrong with the connection. Perhaps a faulty USB port on the Nook, or a faulty USB cable.

Contributor
jlariviere
0 Kudos

I'll have to try a few things, that's probably it. I had to exchange it for another for the same thing after I first bought it...