Contributor
Cheryl_B
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Manually deleted external content still showing up

Hello,

I used the Calibre program to load some books onto my Nook Simple Touch and have been going in circles ever since. First, the books were showing up in double, which I was finally able to resolve. Then I found that only part of the books showed up after I edited the metadata. After this I decided to just delete everything in the "books" folder under "my files." Well, the deleted books are still showing up on the device, but not in the "books" folder when I click on it.

That being the case, I tried to load everything from Calibre fresh, but the books are again showing up as 2 copies. Now, when I try to delete one of the two in Calibre, everything disappears from the "books" folder on the Nook.

I'd like to get the books still showing up on the device off, and then load the complete library back onto the Nook from Calibre. Hope my words aren't too convoluted, as this is very confusing and frustrating.

Thanks for any help in advance.:smileyhappy:

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

Re: Manually deleted external content still showing up

Cheryl_B wrote:

Hello,

I used the Calibre program to load some books onto my Nook Simple Touch and have been going in circles ever since. First, the books were showing up in double, which I was finally able to resolve. Then I found that only part of the books showed up after I edited the metadata. After this I decided to just delete everything in the "books" folder under "my files." Well, the deleted books are still showing up on the device, but not in the "books" folder when I click on it.

That being the case, I tried to load everything from Calibre fresh, but the books are again showing up as 2 copies. Now, when I try to delete one of the two in Calibre, everything disappears from the "books" folder on the Nook.

I'd like to get the books still showing up on the device off, and then load the complete library back onto the Nook from Calibre. Hope my words aren't too convoluted, as this is very confusing and frustrating.

Thanks for any help in advance.:smileyhappy:

How did you delete the files off your NST?  Did you use Calibre or did you just open the folder and hilight-delete?  I see there is a folder marked 'metadata.calibre' and another marked 'driveinfo.calibre', did you do anything with those when you deleted the books?

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Contributor
Cheryl_B
0 Kudos

I tried deleting the books both ways and still had the same problem. No, I didn't touch either of the files you mentioned, but I also have a third file: .devicesalt which is next to the others.

A little while ago, I deleted all the books from the NST using Calibre and put them all back in. Most of them loaded okay, but some are still showing in duplicate, and I can't figure out how to delete them as they don't show in duplicate in any of the folders.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

When you deleted them from your Nook, did you empty the trash (mac) or recycle bin (windows)?

Simply moving the files to the respective recepticle isn't enough, it will remain in the garbage folder on your device which you wont see. 

Plug your NST in, and erase the trash/recycle bin, if you didn't when it was plugged in (doing it without the NST plugged in wont work).

I suspect that's the issue since you're seeing double when you try to reload them from Calibre.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Contributor
Cheryl_B
0 Kudos

No, I didn't even think to empty the recycle bin. I'll plug the NST back in and do it now. Thanks, hope it works.
Contributor
Cheryl_B

Thanks, so far so good. I deleted everything off the NST again by way of Calibre, and then emptied the recycle bin. I then reloaded all the books, and with the exception of a couple I had to delete and load again, all seems to be well. Nothing in duplicate.