New User
lovemyskye
0 Kudos

Memory Difference Between First Edition and Simple Touch?

Hello!

My First Edition holds approx 425 BN-purchased books and has no problems -- I bought a new Simple Touch a month ago and it won't hold anywhere near that many of my BN books.

In order to keep from getting memory notifications, i have to keep it to less than 240 books -- so talk about irritating.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there something wrong with this Simple Touch?

Thank you in advance for your advice,

Mellie

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

Re: Memory Difference Between First Edition and Simple Touch?

lovemyskye wrote:

Hello!

My First Edition holds approx 425 BN-purchased books and has no problems -- I bought a new Simple Touch a month ago and it won't hold anywhere near that many of my BN books.

In order to keep from getting memory notifications, i have to keep it to less than 240 books -- so talk about irritating.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there something wrong with this Simple Touch?

Thank you in advance for your advice,

Mellie

You're not doing anything wrong.  Both the Simple Touch (NST) and the First Edition (N1E) have 2GB of memory, but the memory is configured differently.  The NST has two separate partitions.  The smallest, approx .25GB, is the memory that you can access when the nook is connected to the computer.  You can sideload books to it, but you can't store device-downloaded books there.  The rest of the memory is on a hidden partition.  The OS takes up approx 1GB, leaving only .75GB for downloaded books.

The N1E doesn't hide storage, so other than the OS (which, if I remember correctly, takes up .75GB), you can use the rest of the storage however you like.  This means that you can download 1.25GB in books, a full half gig more than on the NST.

If you want to have all your books on your nook, you have a few options.  The easiest is probably to sideload all the books you currently have - 

1) Buy a micro SD card (they usually run $5-$10 for 4GB, you don't need a really fast card or a ton of storage).  Put it into the NST and format it (in Settings on the NST)

2) Sync your N1E, the connect it to a computer and copy all the files to a folder on your computer.  Keep this folder and update it as you buy new books - you should keep a backup of your books (don't count on B&N to do this for you)

3) Copy all your books to the micro SD card.

4) Archive all your books in your account.  This will prevent them from automatically downloading to the NST and creating duplicates.

5) Sync your NST to remove all the existing books from it, then load the MicroSD card to the NST.  Now you have all your books loaded to the NST without using any of the internal storage.  All new books that you buy will download to your internal storage, so you can buy/download another 240 before you'll need to sideload again.

If you do this and still want all your books on your N1E, connect it and sideload all the books to the Books folder in My Documents.  All the books will appear in the My Documents section of the nook.  OR, buy a second MicroSD card and use that to load the books to your N1E.

**Note that you will likely lose a lot of your covers this way.  I'm not sure why that is, but sideloaded books don't always show covers.

If you don't want to do it this way, there are other options too.

Distinguished Wordsmith
TXAnnie
0 Kudos

I have no memory left on first edition and was thinking I need to upgrade anyway, but this seems like a real hassle. I do though need to copy books and have not done that. I was just planning on buying largest card and registering my nook and magically having everything appear on it with room to spare.
Correspondent
Byteguy

There are two strong schools of thought on memory.  Neither Kindle (which I will never buy because it's too locked down) nor Nexus 7 (which I have and adore) have memory slots.  A lot of phones also are doing this. It's just that some manufacturers are thinking you should just use the cloud to store stuff they control.

But, the NST is a really amazing reader. Consider the benefits you're going to get (light weight, full-touch screen, freakishly long battery life, etc) against the hassle of not having EVERY SINGLE BOOK you've ever bought available instantly at the same time.

It's not THAT hard to sideload books.  Or, don't.  Just download what you want when you want it.  But, you MIGHT want to still load Nook for PC and pull backups into your computer (it's just a good idea to always have a second copy)