New User
V_Shaft
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

My Nook won't do a software update

I have a Nook Simple Touch, came with the firmware version 1.1.0. Also, I live outside the States, in Europe. So far had no problem with registration of the device, nor using the wi-fi. Lastly, my Nook is NOT rooted, i.e. I use the default settings.

Anyway, I decided to do a software upgrade to 1.2.1. First I tried the manual upgrade, following the instruction on the B&N website. Downloaded the ZIP file containing the update, plugged in the Nook to the PC via USB cable, copied the ZIP file into the main directory, unplugged Nook from the PC.

The next intstruction was to "wait until the Nook goes to sleep and it will install the update automatically". I left it for some 10-15 minutes, the screensaver popped up after 5 mins (that is, the Nook went to sleep). But no update has been initiated.

I powered it off, powered it on again, connected it to the PC one more time, and saw the ZIP file is still in the main directory. So I left the Nook alone for 4-5 hours, to see if it will initiate the software upgrade now. It didn't.

I then deleted the ZIP from the main directory, and connected to my wi-fi, in order for the Nook to download the update auotmatically (as people have said the device does). It's been a couple of hours, and still the Nook is not doing anything regarding the update.

I wouldn't really be in need of this update, but I've read that version 1.2.1. has fixed the disappearing shelves problems with side-loaded books on an SD card, which is a major issue for me. So, I'd really like to get this update.

But my question is: HOW? What do I do for my Nook to finally initiate this software update?

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

Re: My Nook won't do a software update

One very simple question to ask.  When you disconnected the Nook from your PC, did you issue the "Eject" command in Windows Explorer (for both the Nook and SD Card if you have one) or just pull the USB plug?  It seems the Nook won't notice any new content without the proper Eject process.

New User
V_Shaft
0 Kudos

I used Eject (Safely Remover Hardware) option, before physically unplugging the Nook from the USB cord. I always safely remove any device that I plug into the USB port.

I know Nook has some kinks (for example, whenever I side-load any books - I use Calibre ofr that - I have to power the Nook off completely, and then power it on again, or else it won't recognize the content). But I can work with them. However, this issue is proving to be rather bothersome.

keriflur

You may want to try doing the manual update with the nook plugged into the wall (transfer the file, then disconnect and plug the nook into the wall, then let it sit).

Also, leave it for more than 15 minutes.

Also, when you transfer the file from the computer, make sure it doesn't have (1) or (2) in the file name.

MacMcK1957

V_Shaft wrote:

I used Eject (Safely Remover Hardware) option, before physically unplugging the Nook from the USB cord. I always safely remove any device that I plug into the USB port.

I know Nook has some kinks (for example, whenever I side-load any books - I use Calibre ofr that - I have to power the Nook off completely, and then power it on again, or else it won't recognize the content). But I can work with them. However, this issue is proving to be rather bothersome.

If your Nook is not recognizing new sideloaded content without a full power off/on, perhaps the software update may require the same thing.  Couldn't hurt to try doing a full power restart after copying the zip file, and then waiting for it to go to sleep.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

MacMcK1957 wrote:

V_Shaft wrote:

If your Nook is not recognizing new sideloaded content without a full power off/on, perhaps the software update may require the same thing.  Couldn't hurt to try doing a full power restart after copying the zip file, and then waiting for it to go to sleep.

I'll second what MacMck1957 said; if it won't recognize sideloaded books without a power cycle, it probably won't recognize the update file either.  Personally, I find that really odd.  My NST has always recognized sideloaded content, even when it had 1.0.1 running.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
New User
V_Shaft
0 Kudos

@keriflur

I left it for cca. 15 minutes the first time only. Then I powered it off, powered it on again, and left it for 5-6 hours while I was out. The device, when I got back home, was in sleep mode with the screensaver on. But there were no notifications of anything having been installed. And when I checked the software version, it still said 1.1.0., with the software update file still uselessly sitting in the Nook main directory and waiting for the device to "decide" to do something with it, at last.

About your suggestion to leave it plugged in the wall - is that a suggestion proven to work, or is it just a "it may work" guess? I'm asking because I don't have the wall socket adapter, so I'll have to first get one in order to try the method.

@MacMck1957 & kamas716

Did that, as seen in my replies above. The very first time, I copied the sofwtare update file to the Nook without powering it off, as per the official B&N guide, but the device didn't initialize any update. So I powered it off and on again, several times, before finally leaving it idle for hours - to no result.

Well, anyway, thanks for the suggestions; I'll try them, and hopefully one of them will work. If not, I'll just have to live without it.

keriflur
0 Kudos

Sometimes the nook won't install an update because it thinks it doesn't have enough power to complete the task, even if the nook seems to be fully charged.  So, depending on the reason your nook has for not installing the update, it may work or it may not.  But it's more than just a shot in the dark.  Any USB adapter will do, it doesn't have to be the nook adapter.

keriflur
0 Kudos

Also, do you have an SD card?  If so, make sure you are not copying the file to the SD card accidentally.  The file must go into the internal memory.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

It should go in the drive labled 'Nook'.  The SD card, when formated by the Nook is usually called NO NAME.  As Keri mentioned, make sure the .zip file is copied to the Nook drive not the SD card.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
roustabout

Another thing to try - do the whole process, but remove the SD card before you copy the file in, so the device can't be confused by the presence of the card.  

Now and again sdcards in Nooks of various flavors make trouble for the OS in interesting ways. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
New User
V_Shaft
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thank you all for your responses, you've been a great help. It was keriflur's advice that did the trick!

I put the zip containing the update inside the Nook main directory as before, safely removed it, and didn't power it off and then back on like I usually do after any file transfer. Then I plugged it into the wall and left it to charge; after a few minutes it initiated the software update on its own.

keriflur
0 Kudos

Glad to hear you were able to get it to work!