Contributor
StogieMOE
0 Kudos

My SideLoad's always disappear!

Why is that the NOOK can't keep track of what you have SideLoaded?  I have so many books on my sd card, but they never show in my Side Load shelf...why?

My stogie is good & stinky!
Correspondent
Marty-TX
0 Kudos

Re: My SideLoad's always disappear!

Are you using Calibre to get the books onto the SD card or loading them directly (drag & drop) onto the card?

On the SD card, books need to be loaded into these folders in the format indicated:

My Files

Books

Patterson, James

Cross Country - James Patterson.epub

Cross Fire - James Patterson.epub

etc. etc.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Marty-TX wrote:

Are you using Calibre to get the books onto the SD card or loading them directly (drag & drop) onto the card?

On the SD card, books need to be loaded into these folders in the format indicated:

My Files

Books

Patterson, James

Cross Country - James Patterson.epub

Cross Fire - James Patterson.epub

etc. etc.

Actually, they just need to be in My Files --> Books,  They do not need to be in separate files by author.

Correspondent
Marty-TX
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

Actually, they just need to be in My Files --> Books,  They do not need to be in separate files by author.

Hi keriflur,

Thanks for the info.  All of my SD card books were loaded with Calibre, so I really don't know what a "solo" Nook can do. If I simply copy several EPUB's into the Nook's "Books" folder, will the Nook automatically sort them into author folders?  Are author folders even necessary to be able to do an "author" library sort on the Nook?

Calibre is so easy to use that it's kept me from learning some Nook basics. :smileysurprised:

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

Marty-TX wrote:

keriflur wrote:

Hi keriflur,

Thanks for the info.  All of my SD card books were loaded with Calibre, so I really don't know what a "solo" Nook can do. If I simply copy several EPUB's into the Nook's "Books" folder, will the Nook automatically sort them into author folders?  Are author folders even necessary to be able to do an "author" library sort on the Nook?

Calibre is so easy to use that it's kept me from learning some Nook basics. :smileysurprised:

I just drag and drop books from my computer into the Books folder.  The nook doesn't create author folders, so everything's just mixed together.  I wasn't sure about author sort, but I tried it on my nook and it worked fine; I'm pretty sure the nook uses the author name in the metadata to generate the author sort.

The nook also doesn't care what you name the file, as long there is only one period (the one before the extension).  If there's more than one it gets confused.  So if you're sideloading Naughty Nurses on Holiday, and you name the file Grapes of Wrath, it will still show as Naughty Nurses on your nook, unless you edit the metadata.

Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:
So if you're sideloading Naughty Nurses on Holiday, and you name the file Grapes of Wrath, it will still show as Naughty Nurses on your nook.

Or vice versa. :catlol:

Please visit me on Goodreads. Currently reading:
Journey Into Now by Leonard Jacobson
Correspondent
Marty-TX
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

I just drag and drop books from my computer into the Books folder.  The nook doesn't create author folders, so everything's just mixed together.  I wasn't sure about author sort, but I tried it on my nook and it worked fine; I'm pretty sure the nook uses the author name in the metadata to generate the author sort.

The nook also doesn't care what you name the file, as long there is only one period (the one before the extension).  If there's more than one it gets confused.  So if you're sideloading Naughty Nurses on Holiday, and you name the file Grapes of Wrath, it will still show as Naughty Nurses on your nook, unless you edit the metadata.

Thanks for the good info; I appreciate it. I plan to keep using Calibre because of it's many features. However, if the only chore is to get books onto the Nook, drag & drop sounds like an easy way to do it. 

One more important question:  When did Steinbeck write Naughty Nurses on Holiday?  Maybe the publication year will help me find an EPUB online.  You and MacMcK1957 have mentioned it a few times, so it must be good reading. :smileywink: