New User
tcangel
0 Kudos

My nook keeps freezing

My nook will be working fine and then all the sudden it freezes. This has been happening the last three days. I am able to turn it off but when i turn it on to use it again it will freeze. im on the verge of dropping barnes and nobles entirely. Their service is horrible to me, the reviews on the nook are not helpful, and their tablets keep breaking on me. If you have any knowledge on freezing nooks please do help me. Thanks!

Inspired Contributor
robertVA
0 Kudos

Re: My nook keeps freezing

This is a forum for Nook Classic (two screens, small bottom screen color), Nook Simple Touch (one e-ink screen) and Simple Touch with Glowlight (Simple Touch with illuminated screen). Help us help you by indicating which model you are using.

If you are using either of the Simple Touch models please try the device after carefully cleaning all the way around the joint between the e-ink panel and the frame. A soft dry clean brush would be a good implement for the cleaning. Instead of a capacitive touch screen similar to those used in the other nook models, the two Simple Touch models use rows of infra-red lights and optical sensors hidden behind the frame. Dust, hair or lint along the edge of the screen can obstruct those sensors.

Please respond with the specific model of your reader and if's a Simple Touch if the cleaning helped. If you can operate it long enough it might also help to indicate the firmware version. Inquiries about other models might get more responses in other sections of the B&N forums/clubs

New User
tcangel
0 Kudos

I have the Simple Touch Reader. The software version is 1.2.1. Ive tried the cleaning and Im not seeing any difference in how my nook is functioning. Still tends to be freezing.
Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

is it just the touch screen that freezes, or do the buttons not work either? If the buttons to page forward/back and to get to the home/library/shop aren't working either, you should probably take it into a store or call Customer Service.
http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Correspondent
Byteguy

Or, is it just that the buttons on the side don't work?  There's a bug for that.  Pushing the "n" button twice wakes them back up (I run into this a LOT with sideloaded books).

Clearly, some part of your nook is still working if you're able to turn it off and back on.

Give us step by step of what you're doing.  We'd love to help, but saying "it freezes" is like saying "my car stops."  We can't tell if your stalling out or if your brakes are locking up.

New User
tcangel
0 Kudos

All the buttons work just fine. I will turn it on and maybe 15 to 29 seconds into it will just freeze. No matter what Im doing on my nook it will just freeze.

Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

Still not much detail so....

Do the buttons "work fine" when the nook is frozen?  All the buttons?  Can you press "n" and get the menu?  Can you flip pages using the side keys?

How do you turn it off and back on once it's frozen?

Once it's back on, hit the "n" go into settings and device info.  What is the battery level?

Turn your wi-fi off and see if that has any impact.

I know you said "not matter what I'm doing" but what are you doing?  Reading?  Shopping?  Both?  Nothing?

When it freezes, does the screen change to something or scramble in any way?

Are you in the same book or books from the same source when it freezes?

You say that you've had trouble with all their tablets.  What other nooks have you had?  What happened with them?

New User
tcangel
0 Kudos

thanku for asking the questions tht make it easier for me to tell you whats going on.

No none of the buttons work when its frozen.

What I do when it freezes is I hold the power button til it turns off and I use the power button to turn it back on.

The battery level is currently on 98%. I charged it thinking that was part of the problem.

I tried turning my wi-fi and it still kept freezing.

When it first started when I was reading. i thought nothing of it and just turned it off and turned it back on. I began shopping this time and the same thing happened.

When it freezes it doesnt change at all. Whatever page I was on is whatever it freezes on.

Ive tried all my books and its done the same thing. i have like 20 books.

I have the nook color and Ive had another Simple Touch. they both froze up as well but in different ways as this one.

New User
Moomooreads
0 Kudos

I actually have the same problem with my Nook simple touchstone with the power off thing doubt charging it always seemed to work for me..Maybe ill try cleaning it.:cathappy:

New User
redgarnet
0 Kudos

I tried this method and will see if it works. My mom has a Simple Touch with Glowlight (Christmas gift) and she has been reading constantly. She LOVES it and was so discouraged when it froze. Power button and "n" button would not function, screen dimmed, but could turn pages. The only way to get it to work fully was to attach the power button. I have now done so and recharged fully (was at 86% prior) and have it turned off and unplugged. Will see it is working again when she uses it today. Otherwise, will make a trip to the store.