Contributor
witchkitten
0 Kudos

Re: NST 1.2.0 update: Why no page numbers in Contents?

keriflur, I used the page numbers in the TOC the same way, to judge if I should keep reading or not before bed or before an appointment. I use it to tell how long each chapter is relative to the others in the same book. I wish the Nook page numbers were dynamic like the page numbers in iBooks or (the now defunct) Stanza but the static page numbers were better than nothing. In any case, the page numbers weren't hurting anyone who didn't use them but for those of us who did, it's a huge blow to lose them.
Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

I use the page numbers in the ToC more to gage where I am in the story when reading a collection of short stories.  I have no problem just putting my NST down and coming back to it later.  But, sometimes I sort of want to know if a particular short story is going to be ending soon or if I'm going to need to push through for awhile longer.  It's nice to see how long some of those stories are.  Same with nonfiction books.  I don't use it too much for novels.

And, the no page numbers is really the only thing keeping me from updating.  The new overlay on the screen saver would probably be annoying for awhile, but I'd either adjust or reformat my personal screen savers.  The no page numbers is a deal breaker for updating, even if there is a better dictionary available.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

kamas716 wrote:

And, the no page numbers is really the only thing keeping me from updating.  The new overlay on the screen saver would probably be annoying for awhile, but I'd either adjust or reformat my personal screen savers.  The no page numbers is a deal breaker for updating, even if there is a better dictionary available.

Same here.  And if the new nook that comes out next spring doesn't have page numbers, I won't be buying it.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

What I really need to do, is find someone that downloaded the 1.1.2 update and still has it around, just in case I someday forget my wifi on and it updates to 1.2.0 OTA. At least that way I could reset and manually load 1.1.2 again.
DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,240
Solutions: 18

[ Edited ]

kamas716 wrote:
What I really need to do, is find someone that downloaded the 1.1.2 update and still has it around, just in case I someday forget my wifi on and it updates to 1.2.0 OTA. At least that way I could reset and manually load 1.1.2 again.

http://www.mailpen.com/download/bnFirmware

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

Thanks, Dean. Much appreciated.
Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat
0 Kudos

For me the advantage of having the new dictionary trumps the disadvantage of losing the page numbers. But I do miss the page numbers. I don't care whether they're accurate compared to anything else. Like others here, I just want a relative measure within one book or magazine. Actually I miss them most in magazines, where I like to know in advance whether I'm embarking on a short piece or a feature-length article.

Please visit me on Goodreads. Currently reading:
Journey Into Now by Leonard Jacobson
Contributor
witchkitten
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
How do you manually load 1.1.2 after the device has already updated? I really miss my TOC page numbers. The new dictionary is much better but I use it much less frequently than the TOC so it's worth it to downgrade if possible.
Contributor
weezimp
0 Kudos

The 1.2.1 update came out pretty quickly but failed to address this issue.
The "pages left in chapter" display in the goto page popup is of marginal use when a book has chapters within parts.
New User
Marco_Gonzi
0 Kudos

Hi,

Before reading all the comments regarding 1.2.1 update, I installed iy, but I have changed my mind: my nook started with some rare sd card problems (keeps ejecting it) and also it now have a problem changing page, it is a lot slower than before.

Does somebody have the 1.1.2 or 1.1.5 firmware available to download? There is a link in the thread, but it returns an error message.

Thanks!

Frequent Contributor
Joydeck
0 Kudos

As for "my nook started with some rare sd card problems (keeps ejecting it)", I find that either Nook Memory, the SD card, or both sometimes disappears from the "Library" after a "power down". If I repeat the "power down" once or twice, everything is fine again.

All in all, I'm quite happy with the 1.2 and 1.2.1 updates.
DeanGibson

[ Edited ]

DeanGibson wrote:

kamas716 wrote:

http://www.mailpen.com/download/bnFirmware/

The corrected link is as shown above.

New User
Marco_Gonzi
0 Kudos

Hi again,

I have two nooks simple touch. Both of them have problems with microsd cards.

For the first one, the problem is nothing more that an annoyance: the reader stops detecting the card, so I have to repeat the power off/on a couple of times, so this problem is manageable.

In the other nook, and as I told before, sometimes the reader ejects the microSD card, I mean physicly. And there's no way I can get the memory inside the slot without being ejected instantly. Sometimes, I can turn off the nook and insert again the card while the reader is off, but most of the times, only after a full formatting of the card the reader keeps it in the slot. This is a serious problem, because this could happen everywhere, for example while I commute to work.

Both problems have happened many times, with several cards from different brands.

Does somebody have heard this before? do you know asolution?

Thanks in advance,

Marco

Correspondent
FulltimeRVer
0 Kudos

DeanGibson wrote:

Thanks for the link.  I downloaded factory-v1.1.5.zip.  

Now that I have downloaded it, how do I use it?

Will it work with my NSTG? It is currently running 1.1.5, but I want to be able to revert back to that if it updates itself to 1.2.x while I have Wi-Fi turned on.

Dave
DeanGibson

Who said anything about goodness?

[ Edited ]

FulltimeRVer wrote:

DeanGibson wrote:

Thanks for the link.  I downloaded factory-v1.1.5.zip.  

Now that I have downloaded it, how do I use it?

Will it work with my NSTG? It is currently running 1.1.5, but I want to be able to revert back to that if it updates itself to 1.2.x while I have Wi-Fi turned on.

That directory contains all the Nook packages.  Those with "update" in the file name can just be copied by a PC to the "root" directory of the visible file system, and the Nook will install it.  In some cases it will not install an older version.

Those with "factory" in the name were extracted from the "recovery" partition.  In order to "install" them, you have to:

1. have "root" user access to the device,
  2. mount the recovery partition,
  3. delete the "factory.zip" file that is there,
  4. copy over the replacement one,
  5. rename it to "factory.zip", and
  6. then do a factory reset via the "8-reboot" technique or equivalent.

If you screw up, then you've lost the ability of the device to recover, and it's your own fault, because I have never tried what I just said (although in theory it should work).

Guarantees ??? :smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy:

So, what good are the old files???  Answer:  see message title.  I have them for historical and research purposes.  I personally run the most current version of all B&N software (including installing new versions the day they are released), and then I root them.  I personally think going back to old versions (except for brief tests) is an exercise in futility, but to each his own.

Correspondent
FulltimeRVer
0 Kudos

Re: Who said anything about goodness?

OK. If my NSTG gets upgraded, I think that, rather than use that package, I will simply restore the device using a backup I made a couple weeks ago. Seems simpler, and it's something I have done in the past.
Dave
Contributor
witchkitten

Re: Who said anything about goodness?

I was able to successfully downgrade my NST (not Glowlight) using method two from this link: http://nookdevs.com/Nook_Simple_Touch_restore_to_stock It took more than six resets (about 9 for me) but it worked.