Reader 2
FeatheredDrum
0 Kudos

NST Freezing Up

I guess I'm the only one having this problem since I haven't seen any other posts about this.

For about a week, randomly, my ST will not respond to swipes (it will to the buttons) and/or the inbook/N button options menus; the only option that responds is Aa, however, it does not bring that option up but says I need to turn the WiFi on(?) I discovered that if I put on sleep then unlocked it again, it fixed the swipe/menus problem.

Then, yesterday, again randomly, it stopped acknowledging the unlock swipe as well. It takes several frustrating and upsetting minutes of swiping and turning it off and on to finally get back to my book; it does not actually turn off but goes straight to "your Nook is starting up" page.

I have had my ST for less than a year and have taken good care of it, so I have no idea why it would start doing this all of sudden. I'm hoping someone will have a simple fix so I don't have to call support (I really hate making calls). 

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957

Re: NST Freezing Up

Sometimes the sensors around the edge of the screen get dirty and can't really sense where your finger is.  (I know they call it a touch screen, but it isn't.  The sensors are around the edge, not in the screen.)  Try cleaning all around the edge of the screen, especially along the bottom, with a damp Q-tip.

Reader 2
FeatheredDrum
0 Kudos

I cleaned the sensors the first time it happened; it did not make a difference.

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

I'd shut it down completely (long-press power button on back), then restart. If it still won't respond, give the edges of the screen a good blowing (I just huff and puff on it directly). I have one NST that is *very* sensitive to any disruption of the IR beams at the edges. It'll be completely unresponsive to screen touches until I give it a good blast.