Inspired Contributor
boe0485

NST Improvements???

Will there EVER be any firmware updates to the NST?  At one point there were pages and pages of suggestions for fixes and enhancements by NST users.  The threads were removed and we were told they are being consolidated and prioritized.  That was probably 6 months ago or so and yet there has been no information from B&N giving us any firmware updates or even any status.

Have the eink readers been forgotten because of the tablets?  It sure seems so.

I am very disappointed in B&Ns silence on NST fixes/enhancements, etc.  They should either give us some  status or tell us that they are not planning any new firmware and let us know where we stand.

:smileysad:

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

Re: NST Improvements???

I don't think they've ever given us status updates on anything, so I wouldn't hold my breath on that. I do agree that some updates on a few things would be nice.
http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

My expectation is that the new e-ink device in the spring will be a serious hardware change, and that the NST will not see any updates for the remainder of its life.  I know people are looking for fixes and improvements, but my expectations are low.  B&N seems more focused on putting out new hardware, and making software for their new hardware, and seems to want to keep their active lineup small.

Contributor
Whtwolf

Looks like they did an upgrade over the week end. The new firmware is now ver 1.2.0. I have installed it and, from what I've seen, about the only thing they did was to fix the shelving being emptied when a power off is done. Anyone else see any differences?

Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up - Chinese Proverb
RHWright
0 Kudos

Whtwolf wrote:

Looks like they did an upgrade over the week end. The new firmware is now ver 1.2.0. I have installed it and, from what I've seen, about the only thing they did was to fix the shelving being emptied when a power off is done. Anyone else see any differences?

Even that "little" fix would be a vast improvement, as the quirk had those with numerous sideloaded content quite annoyed.

roustabout

Another thing they did was to unify the NST and NSTG software under one hood.

That's a pretty big deal, too.  

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
bobstro
0 Kudos

roustabout wrote:

Another thing they did was to unify the NST and NSTG software under one hood.

That's a pretty big deal, too.  

Is there a "universal root" that will work with both now? I need to catch up over at XDA. I've been hoping for a unified method to keep my life from getting too complex!

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

Someone on the Mobileread forum posted these findings:

1. No more 'Page 1 of 1' problem ! YAY !!! Now we're talking something here.

2. No more 'disappearing shelves' ! Another YAY !!! I've tried powering
    off and on several times, and the shelves are still there ...

3. Fix formatting for some of my ebooks. Now the fonts and spacing for those particular
    books are following the setting.

4. Cleaner 'ghosting' and faster response

Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

They also added a strip on the bottom of the screensaver screens that says "Press the n button below to wake up your Nook(R)"

Drat, I don't like that.  It cuts off my screensaver images.

I still have Page 1 of 1 problems but that may be because I was reading a sideloaded book when it updated.  I'll see if the next book is ok.

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Byteguy wrote:

They also added a strip on the bottom of the screensaver screens that says "Press the n button below to wake up your Nook(R)"

Drat, I don't like that.  It cuts off my screensaver images.

I still have Page 1 of 1 problems but that may be because I was reading a sideloaded book when it updated.  I'll see if the next book is ok.

From the same Mobileread post:

P.S: After upgrading to 1.2.0, if you have currently-reading book with Page 1 of 1 problem, you'll still probably see them on the main page. Don't worry. Just tap to open it, and switch back to the main page. You'll see the page XX of XX adjusts accordingly.

Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

geertm wrote:

From the same Mobileread post:

P.S: After upgrading to 1.2.0, if you have currently-reading book with Page 1 of 1 problem, you'll still probably see them on the main page. Don't worry. Just tap to open it, and switch back to the main page. You'll see the page XX of XX adjusts accordingly.

That caused it to get the total pages right, but it decided to put me on Page 1 instead of the page I was actually on. No amount of back and forth or using the book button in the top left would get my Nook to send me to where I was before.  Luckily, I had just been reading and knew where to go to.

Not a big issue.  I'll be happy if it just get this right going forward.  It was annoying.

Wordsmith
LectorGS
0 Kudos

Any software updates on the Glow?  Or will the updates on the NST be reflected on the Glow?

Lector GS
roustabout

[ Edited ]

Bob asks about rooting tools that work on NST and NSTG;  tinynoot's worked on either the NST or NSTG since I threw it together, and with a little mod it also supports the Nook Color. 

The glow running 1.2.0 was released in the UK ahead of the US, and the UK nook folk put together something along the lines of tinynoot for their devices (I think the tool roots, drops a viable app source onto the nook, and installs the overclock kernel.)

I wouldn't be surprised if glownooter / touchnooter were updated and unified this weekend. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
bobstro
0 Kudos

Thanks, Roust. A unified set of tools will probably put me over the edge on picking up a NSTG. I really should wait for the next generation of eInk devices, but this will make it very tempting. I really need to be able to reassign the QuickMenu buttons to be happy.
roustabout
0 Kudos

Take a read through the work that last silmaril and the TFU folks are doing.  I know that progress was moving on reassigning the quicknav button bar on the NSTG, and TFU is a pretty full-featured root set. 

Contributor
Mellobob

I'm surprised that no one on this thread -- or B&N!! -- has mentioned the improved dictionary. Not only does it give a whole bunch of data -- perhaps too much, but I like to read dictionaries :smileyhappy: -- it also gives one the option to look up a word! This is a HUGE improvement!

RHWright
0 Kudos

Still hasn't been pushed to mine. I know they don't do it to all units at once. Any idea when the waves are supposed to be completed?

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

RHWright wrote:

Still hasn't been pushed to mine. I know they don't do it to all units at once. Any idea when the waves are supposed to be completed?

Funny enough, I located my missing NOOK on Thursday, plugged it in to charge and since Wifi was on, it updated while charging overnight.

I'm surprised it hasn't rolled to everyone yet.  Are yout totally opposed to manual updates?

RHWright
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

RHWright wrote:

Funny enough, I located my missing NOOK on Thursday, plugged it in to charge and since Wifi was on, it updated while charging overnight.

I'm surprised it hasn't rolled to everyone yet.  Are yout totally opposed to manual updates?

No, just lazy. :smileyvery-happy:

keriflur

I plugged mine in and charged it Saturday night, and turned the wifi on to see if the update came through.  I also did not get it.

I'm also not opposed to manual updates, I just don't care if I ever actually get the update.  My nook works fine as it is.  *shrugs*