Frequent Contributor
TriscuitCracker

NST/NSTwGL to get email client, web browser June 1

Correspondent
Byteguy

Re: NST/NSTwGL to get email client, web browser June 1

Ugh, get ready for "it's so SLOOOOWWWW" and "my battery only lasted day" and "it doesn't work on the (insert name here) website"

Inspired Scribe
kamas716

I think I'll pass on this update as well. I'm pretty happy with 1.1.2. The improved dictionary would be nice, but not at the expense of this other junk (screen saver banner, TOC page numbers and now email and web browser?).
http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Inspired Wordsmith
LectorGS
0 Kudos

So, does it mean that my NST will be turned into some type of a tablet with a black-and-white screen? 

Lector GS
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

LectorGS wrote:

So, does it mean that my NST will be turned into some type of a tablet with a black-and-white screen? 

No, you'd still have your NST, but now it would have a slow-moving browser also.  There's nothing (so far) to indicate the addition of an app store or anything else that would add tablet-like functionality to the device.

bobstro

Unless, of course, they turn on the secret camera and microphone to keep an eye on you.

keriflur
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:

Unless, of course, they turn on the secret camera and microphone to keep an eye on you.

Would this be the highly secret NookSpy app?

bobstro

Well, yes, but they renamed it "Google Chrome" I think. Please don't tell anybody though.

Inspired Contributor
SirLoyne

[ Edited ]

"I think I'll pass on this update as well. I'm pretty happy with 1.1.2. The improved dictionary would be nice, but not at the expense of this other junk (screen saver banner, TOC page numbers and now email and web browser?)."

I couldn't have said it better. I made the mistake of installing 1.2.0 and then 1.2.1 hoping it would fix the problems made by 1.2.0. I finally found a way to revert my Nook back to it's original state. I put 1.1.2 back on and I won't do another update until B&N are completely up-front about what changes they're making. Saying an update "provides minor system enhancements" isn't enough any more.

Contributor
JackB2398

I'm thinking this will be a good update. As long as you don't click on the browser or email app, it won't eat up any of the processing power on your Nook. I'm just looking forward to having more reading material available on my Nook! A browser and email is a welcome addition for me. :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
Joydeck

Having rooted my Nook just a week before rumours of update 1.5.0 began circulating, it was interesting to have a look at the original Nook browser, before deleting it. 

I did use the hidden and crippled browser from time to time for Google and Wiki, but without bookmarking or a back key, it was rather dreadful.  Anyway, Opera Mobile is way better.  After rooting, I can still use the Nook as though I hadn't rooted, which is nice.  And I have replaced Shop on the reading menu with Opera.

I'm fairly happy with update 1.2.1, particularly the big dictionary.  I hope the new update removes all the annoying double entries in the dictionary, makes Now reading reliable, and fixes the several bugs in Highlight.

Contributor
0 Kudos

I hope this isn't some hoax or another bad update. I honestly wouldn't mind a better web browser to look something up on Google Search or a dedicated email client. I would enjoy having another dictionary and better fonts and the ability to zoom in on pictures/diagrams inside eBooks. I am sure we won't be able to buy books on Amazon or a way to download Overdrive eBooks directly onto the Nook.
keriflur
0 Kudos

It's not a hoax, it's a rumor, which means it may or may not happen.

The NST has never had an update to add functionality that didn't also remove other functionality, either deliberately or accidentally, so don't set your hopes too high.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Back when the NC/NT got Overdrive I made a post here pointing out there was really nothing stopping B&N from providing the service for the NST/G line.  Which remains true to this day.  They'd have to bundle the app in to the OS or allow the NST/G access to a limited app store (which I'm in favor of). 

Basically they'd need to scale down the graphics from the NC/NT/HD app. 

It would also be nice, though I don't suspect it will ever happen, to allow users to add their own fonts.  I believe Kobo allows it.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
keriflur

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

It would also be nice, though I don't suspect it will ever happen, to allow users to add their own fonts.  I believe Kobo allows it.

Kobo allows some serious font fine-tuning which I'd love to see on the nook.  I don't think we'll get it, though.

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

I would be happy if the NST could manage to adjust fonts for all books, instead of just most. Some seem to have them locked and unchangeable.
bobstro

keriflur wrote:

[...] Kobo allows some serious font fine-tuning which I'd love to see on the nook.  I don't think we'll get it, though.

Kobo does seem to have taken the lead on innovating in the eink device space. B&N can easily get back in the game. They just have to decide to do it.

keriflur

bobstro wrote:

keriflur wrote:

[...] Kobo allows some serious font fine-tuning which I'd love to see on the nook.  I don't think we'll get it, though.

Kobo does seem to have taken the lead on innovating in the eink device space. B&N can easily get back in the game. They just have to decide to do it.

*nods enthusiastically*

With no announcement of a new device, and no leaks of anything in the works to offset concerns that B&N is out of the device market, it's starting to look like B&N is out of the game.

Come on, B&N, let us know if you're stilll playing ball in this field, before we all go out and buy Kobo Auras.

bobstro
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

[...] Come on, B&N, let us know if you're stilll playing ball in this field, before we all go out and buy Kobo Auras.

There's a fine line between not playing your hand too early, and waiting too long. (Kenny Rogers was much more poetic about it, I admit.) I have no particular wish to jump over to Kobo hardware, but the Aura is very tempting. And the Mini is awful cute.

It would be wise of B&N to at least give the faithful a hint, even if in the form of a "leaked" memo, that there's a pulse left in the eink NOOK stable.

keriflur

bobstro wrote:

keriflur wrote:

[...] Come on, B&N, let us know if you're stilll playing ball in this field, before we all go out and buy Kobo Auras.

There's a fine line between not playing your hand too early, and waiting too long. (Kenny Rogers was much more poetic about it, I admit.) I have no particular wish to jump over to Kobo hardware, but the Aura is very tempting. And the Mini is awful cute.

It would be wise of B&N to at least give the faithful a hint, even if in the form of a "leaked" memo, that there's a pulse left in the eink NOOK stable.

I'm not convinced B&N has any idea when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em.  They seem to be counting their money while they're sitting at the table.