Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Re: NST/NSTwGL to get email client, web browser June 1

keriflur wrote:

bobstro wrote:

keriflur wrote:

[...] Come on, B&N, let us know if you're stilll playing ball in this field, before we all go out and buy Kobo Auras.

There's a fine line between not playing your hand too early, and waiting too long. (Kenny Rogers was much more poetic about it, I admit.) I have no particular wish to jump over to Kobo hardware, but the Aura is very tempting. And the Mini is awful cute.

It would be wise of B&N to at least give the faithful a hint, even if in the form of a "leaked" memo, that there's a pulse left in the eink NOOK stable.

I'm not convinced B&N has any idea when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em.  They seem to be counting their money while they're sitting at the table.

Sometimes it feels like they're playing poker while everyone else is playing blackjac.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

So its June 1st. Anybody seeing an update?

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

Nothing yet, but I'm still on my first cup of coffee. The website still has 1.2.1. Tick, tick, tick, tick.....
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Lets not forget with 1.2 people saw over the air updates before it was available on the website.  If I recall correctly anyway.

keriflur
0 Kudos

I have a hard time imagining B&N releasing an update over the weekend, as it appears their tech folks don't work weekends. If we see this update at all, I don't think we'll see it before Monday.
Contributor
0 Kudos

I was hoping that they would have the update available over the air or on the website today. It would take my mind off from the awful weather and news we have been having lately in the US.

I wish that B&N was more open to dialog and customer feedback compared to some other companies such as Microsoft. I wouldn't mind having a workable browser and an email client if I'm out of my house and I have a WiFi connection. I would like a more updated and enhanced dictionary and a mini biography for looking up famous people. A faster way to look up the settings such as battery life and the time. A way for me to keep my library Overdrive books instead of registering with Adobe Digital Editions after each update! Perhaps, give us a deep discount on a new book every week instead of a free romance novel for women they have on Friday's.

Finally, it wouldn't hurt to send a press release or have a B&N official to either confirm or deny this 'email leak' from http://techcrunch.com. Maybe the Nook line is heading for the iceberg, but at least we will have another life saver for the time being!

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

B&N doesn't even like telling the people they hire what's going on.  I've basically given up on the idea that things would improve in that area.

It's like they think leaking tech news is bad, as if building hype for a product or a software update is a poor use of time and money.

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,253
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

What, people make stuff up???

[ Edited ]

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

...  It's like they think leaking tech news is bad, as if building hype for a product or a software update is a poor use of time and money.

While I happen to think that B&N is especially paranoid, we know from past history with B&N Nook announcements, that Amazon has the capability to react (eg, match a price change) within a day.  As much as we would like advance notice, I can see where B&N thinks it's not a good idea to give Amazon a week to react to a significant B&N product change.  I'm not sure I agree with B&N on such a policy, but it's understandable in a fiercely competitive environment.

Similarly, the previous post about confirming or denying a rumor has similar issues:

1. Confirming and denying rumors only creates the opportunity for other parties to make up rumors, and then count on B&N confirming or denying them.
  2. Similar logic applies to only denying the false rumors.

I previously did not discount the possibility of the current rumor being a hoax, and now I'm beginning to wonder.  If false, this wasn't just a case of a misunderstanding;  this would be a case of a carefully-crafted hoax, supported by a falsified announcement image.  We shall see (by Monday).

Nooks: 2 HD+/16GB, 2 HD/8GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted; Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted
    2 Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Contributor
JackB2398
0 Kudos

I'm still waiting for my update. I hope that B&N actually has an update in store, because I really had my hopes up and just might want to get a different eReader if they decide not to take the NOOK line anywhere. I might end up disappointed, or pleasantly surprised... We'll all have to cross our fingers that on Monday B&N can deliver.

Contributor
0 Kudos

The Nook Simple Touch has been a very good device even though I wish I had more time to read books and not waste so much time on other things. I don't think Amazon is the only challenger to the Nook these days. The Kobo eReader line has picked up steam with their latest device (Kobo Aura HD). You will end up paying more up front, but they seem to offer more updates and tons more features compared to the NST/Amazon line.

The limited hidden browser that the NST has now is painfully slow and cumbersome. I am not sure if it has enough processing power to make it worthwhile if they added more functions to the 'new' browser while visiting most websites. Will the email client use Windows Live Mail or will it be entirely generic? Perhaps, we will get an apology email from B&N explaining that these new features were just vaporware and we will get a 15 percent discount on our next purchase.  :smileyvery-happy:

bobstro
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Does the Aura have a browser? My understanding is that the Kobos are based on Linux, so there won't be any opportunities to easily add apps as on on Android based NOOK. I can overlook a lot of device deficiencies if it can be hacked to do what I want. (Though I'd love a handheld that can use Debian repositories!) 

Contributor
JackB2398
0 Kudos

Not only does the Kobo Aura HD have a web browser, it has games like chess available. It also has better hardware with an HD screen for crisper text. Of course, B&N isn't likely to come out with any new hardware soon, so it's looking like a software update is just about all they could do.

Wordsmith
LectorGS
0 Kudos

Everyone talks about the wonders of the Kobo Aura HD, and I believe the device seems to be an awesome one.  However, in all fairness, reading from the Nook HD+ is an awesome experience as well.  I have the Kobo app on my Nook HD and was reading a book from it last night and I was very satisfied with the sharpness of the image, the light distribution and the overall quality of the screen.

Books from B&N look great on my Nook HD+.  Even though I am a bit disappointed that the "announced???" upgrade did not take place on Saturday, I am still satisfied with the quality of my HD+.  If B&N wants to be a contender, it needs to upgrade.  It's somewhat paradoxical that the underdog, Kobo, and not B&N's nemesis, amazon, is the one that is really putting a good fight in the realm of ereaders.

Healthy competition brings the best out of the competitors.  Hopefully, this competition will bring out an improved dedicated e-reader from B&N.

Lector GS
Contributor
JackB2398

I think you're a little confused. The Aura HD is not a tablet. It is an e-ink eReader and does not have a color backlit screen like the Nook HD or Nook HD +. Also, installing the Kobo app will not make your text sharper or better looking vs the Nook app. What makes text sharper is a better physical screen, and a brand new screen cannot be downloaded. The Kobo is a black and white eReader, the Nook HD line are colored tablets.

keriflur

JackB2398 wrote:

Of course, B&N isn't likely to come out with any new hardware soon, so it's looking like a software update is just about all they could do.

According to whom? B&N did not announce a software update, the update is a RUMOR. And B&N does not hint at new devices any more than it announces software updates, so anything could happen at any time.

Contributor
mhodgin
0 Kudos

Oh, shoot....still no update.  I checked once a day over the weekend, and checked this morning, and I was sure the update would appear at this point.  Instead of a software update, I would settle for an announcement of a new HD e-ink reader!

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

[ Edited ]

If this update is not, in fact, just a rumor, it will be the deciding factor in my continued support of B&N.

If B&N decides to introduce an update to its ereader that offers no reader-based enhancements, and instead attempts to offer "features" which cannot work well on an eink device, turning it into a mini-communication tablet instead of a better device for reading, my priorities don't align with theirs.

I have a B&N device because I refuse to shop at Amazon.  If this is what B&N believes readers want, then I'm not the reader they want, and I'll have to switch future purchases to someone else.  

Edit:  I don't begrudge others the desire to have email and or web-browsing on an eink NOOK.  I would rather B&N focused on enhancements to dictionaries, shelving, bookmarking, highlighting, et al.  Those features are  oft-requested and align with reading.

Wordsmith
LectorGS
0 Kudos

Ditto

Lector GS
keriflur

The reason most software companies don't announce updates is because if the dev team can't get their ducks in a row and work out all the bugs before launch, they only have two choices - deal with angry customers who don't get their update on time, or deal with angry customers who do get their update on time but it's buggy and broken.  Given that we've seen very little to indicate that B&N knows how to align ducks when making software updates, it may be a while before this update appears (if it even exists).

I wouldn't just settle for an e-ink device announcement, I'd prefer it.

Contributor
JackB2398
0 Kudos

Agreed! I would much rather have a new device announcement, but I would still be happy with a software update.